• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL Pocket Focuser Mechanism (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
Perhaps of interest to some . . .

Yesterday, a CL 8x25 that had suffered severe damage from a fall from a car roof, was listed on eBay by mjt2525
It was advertised as still functioning as a monocular and sold within the day, for US $150 including the original carry strap and case

Interestingly, the damage exposed the bridge area, showing the focuser mechanism
And as can be seen, the mechanism is similar to that of the original Pocket 8x20 and 10x25 models

John

Attachments

• Deconstructed CL x25.jpg
    Deconstructed CL x25.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 147
  • CL x25 Focuser Mechanism.jpg
    CL x25 Focuser Mechanism.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Original Pocket - US Patent.jpg
    Original Pocket - US Patent.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Original Pocket.jpg
    Original Pocket.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 86
  • US5064279 (Original Pocket, 1990).pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
You should post a warning before uploading such pictures. Something like: "This thread contains explicit portrayals of violence, mayhem, destruction and has been R-Rated. Children and sensible persons should refrain from reading it" 8-P

Well in terms of other adult content, these may also be of interest:

a) A partially disassembled Swarovski SL 10x50, not showing the detached objective housings. It’s a surplus French Navy unit
(see posts #7 and 9 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3910894 ), and

b) A lightly roasted Steiner 7x50 that features in some of their recent catalogues

John

Attachments

• Partially Disassembled SL.jpg
    Partially Disassembled SL.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Lighted Roasted Steiner.jpg
    Lighted Roasted Steiner.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 88
I think Steiner forgot to mention that besides the lenses and prisms, the „sports auto-focus“ was also still fully working 8-P

Perhaps of interest to some . . .

Yesterday, a CL 8x25 that had suffered severe damage from a fall from a car roof, was listed on eBay by mjt2525
It was advertised as still functioning as a monocular and sold within the day, for US $150 including the original carry strap and case

Interestingly, the damage exposed the bridge area, showing the focuser mechanism
And as can be seen, the mechanism is similar to that of the original Pocket 8x20 and 10x25 models

John

John:

I saw that one on the auction site. It was in dismal shape, dropped from a large height, according to the seller. Abuse or more it would seem.
I suppose the buyer of this one will hope to send it to SONA and get a new
binocular in exchange.
That is how Swarovski does it sometimes...:eek!:

Jerry

I don't understand how a metal case would break apart like glass? Are those rubber armor meant to absorb impact and protect the case? I would never break my metal toy car even throw it through the window, did Swarovski use lower class metal to build their case?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back