• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clarification on the Abbreviation "f.d." in Bird Species Names (1 Viewer)

noujun

Japan
Hello everyone,

I've come across the abbreviation "f.d." in the context of bird species names, specifically "Anas platyrhynchos f.d." and "Columba livia f.d.", and I'm curious about its meaning.

I've attempted to find a clear explanation for this abbreviation in scientific literature and taxonomic databases but have had no luck so far. It's been suggested that "f.d." might relate to "functional diversity", considering the context it's used in seems to focus on different breeds or varieties within a single species that exhibit distinct behaviors or roles. However, I have not been able to confirm this interpretation officially.

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise!

Hello everyone,

I've come across the abbreviation "f.d." in the context of bird species names, specifically "Anas platyrhynchos f.d." and "Columba livia f.d.", and I'm curious about its meaning.

I've attempted to find a clear explanation for this abbreviation in scientific literature and taxonomic databases but have had no luck so far. It's been suggested that "f.d." might relate to "functional diversity", considering the context it's used in seems to focus on different breeds or varieties within a single species that exhibit distinct behaviors or roles. However, I have not been able to confirm this interpretation officially.

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise!
Forma domestica 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back