• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning Zeiss Binocular Lenses (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Do Zeiss sell any sort of wipes or anything else for cleaning lenses. I would something that Zeiss provides just in case I have to clean the lens at any time in the future.
Ian.

Hi Ian

These days I'm not too fussy and find a clean microfibre cloth. very slightly dampened, will do the job. But certainly you can get wipes from Zeiss - here's a link. If you scroll down, there are similar options for smaller packs etc. I hope this helps.

Asda opticians sell Zeiss wet wipes. I had my Leica bins cleaned and checked at the manufacturer's stand at Bird Fair. They said it's fine to use wet wipes intended for hygiene purposes, for instance, the wet wipes for babies. Also fine to rinse mud etc under a tap.
As a general rule I err towards cleaning my bins and scopes as little as possible because I think good glass doesn't need to be totally clean all the time and over cleaning can introduce scratches and damage coatings.
You don't need to use anything specific to Zeiss. It's OK to use a microfibre cloth or paper wipes intended for optics not the wood-based ones though as they're too coarse.
I hope this is of some use.

Any opinion on the lenspen?

Hi

I have used lenspens on my bins and photo lenses for years. They are brilliant!

For a start it is good to get into the habit of always brushing (and blowing) the lens clean of any particles before you begin wiping. Most times the lenspen pad is all that is need to clean the lens but sometimes you need to breathe on it. If the lens has grease on it like finger marks or it has dried salt-water then is better to use a lens-wipe tissue or even rinse the lens with running water as many BF posters do. Take care not to use the lenspen pad for cleaning anything else and when the pad starts to not clean very well get a new one.

One of the good things about lenspens is that the pad cleans right to the edge of the lens so you don't need to use your fingernail inside a microfibre cloth to try and clean to edge.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back