• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cley, Norfolk, UK, this week. (1 Viewer)

Despite how convinced anyone on here sounds, this bird cannot be identified!
'
I think we should never say "this bird cannot be identified" - we should say "I cannot identified this bird".

But this can be ID... as a Short-eared Owl, but not by the majority. It is different.

Compare wing pattern of OP bird and a SEO... now try to find a gull with such a wing pattern.... :king:

Attachments

• wingseo.jpg
    wingseo.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 57
I disagree. I think we should learn to articulate the difference between 'I think this bird is identifiable' and 'I know this bird is identifiable'. You may well think that this bird is a SEO but there is no way on gods earth that you can certain about it.

I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm just saying that you cant be 100% sure that you're right.

I don't know if this helps, but it seems to me that a touch more contrast and selective sharpening makes it easier to see.
9554191300_3937783f7c.jpg

Looks owlish to me.... but then, maybe it is a Pelican...for all I know...o:D

Compare wing pattern of OP bird and a SEO... now try to find a gull with such a wing pattern.... :king:

The pattern doesn't looks quite right. Look at how large is the buff patch closer to the wing tip in the first picture compared to the second one.

Usual SEO pattern is : Black wing tip - narrow buff patch (often very narrow or completely nonexistent) - black bar - large buff patch.
What this bird seems to show (it's impossible to know if it's really what the bird show) : black wing tip - large buff area - black bar - narrower but still very clear buff area (not just one buff spot as some SEO show).

Although it's very variable I've not seen one SEO showing a pattern matching this bird in the hundreds of pictures I just watched.

And is it just me or the wings looks a bit too long compared to the larger of the head for a SEO?

My first thought was SEO too (pattern looked ok, body shape too,..) but now I really doubt it's one. It could still be one but it doesn't matter anyway because this bird is simply IMPOSSIBLE to ID with absolute certainty. People should just accept that sometimes it's just impossible to know...

Must say Short-Eared came immediately to mind when seeing the OP. But proving it is another matter. I think instinct counts for something though.

It's surprising not to have another picture as they SEO are not that shy and patrol a fairly regular beat for as long as they are occupying an area

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts, it has proved very interesting. I should probably make a quick note - the photographer isn't a birder, just a friend that was on holiday in Norfolk and sent a selection of photos across to us as he knows we go bird watching. So it could quite possibly be something like an SEO and he wouldn't have noticed. Note that I'm not saying it was, just pointing out why there wouldn't be any other photos!

Thanks,

Therese

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back