• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cliffm (1 Viewer)

cliffm

Questions about G5 and digiscoping

Hi all, first of all i would to say thanks to everyone for there freindly responses to my joining this forum. everyone here seeems quite knowledgeable and freindly. thanks for the warm welccome.
Secondly, i own a canon G5 and a Canon digital rebel and have now gotten the digiscoping bug, :egghead: probably for the same reasons as maany people (the cost of buying high end telephoto lenses). anyway i dont own a spotting scope or camera attachments. I am considring the Nikon 82 mm ED feildscope with the 30X wide ds eyepeice and adapting my G5 to it.
My question is has anyone used a G5 with this feildscope? Or any other feildscope arrangement. What about an older digital rebel, 6.3 megapixal?
i have read through many of the threads and not found to much pertaining to these 2 cameras. thanks so much for any advice. Cliff

Last edited:
cliffm said:
My question is has anyone used a G5 with this feildscope? Or any other feildscope arrangement.
Hi Cliff,

The Canon G5 is a great camera, but it simply does not work with Nikon eyepieces (or with any other normal birding ep's) due to severe vignetting (you will only see a small image circle in large black frames). You could check out Scopetronix's Maxview 40 eyepiece and Canon attachment kits (http://www.scopetronix.com/attachkits.htm#canon) - I don't have personal experience on them but I know some users have succesfully mated a Maxview with a G5 - and the Maxview should be available with Fieldscope mount.
Oh, and I wouldn't recommend a DSLR for digiscoping, but that is just my opinion... you should find lots of discussion about this subject.

Good luck,

Ilkka

Questions about G5 and digiscoping

Thanks Ilkka, i appreciate your help. Is there much vignetting with Maxveiw? also, do you know anything about the Nikon Feildscope\ camera combos. i know alot of peop;e ave had success with the coolpix cameras?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back