• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common birds not seen! (1 Viewer)

Birds 4ever

Is it just me or do non-birders see rare birds you
Hi,
I think many birders would have birds that are not so rare but still haven't seen them, such as lesser spotted woodpecker or little auk(For GB birders, that is!).
What's yours? I've got LOTS.... grasshopper warbler, golden plover, snipe, curlew, bramblings, siskins....(EMBARRASING!!! Forgive me, I've only been properly bw for a year!):eek!::-O:eek!::-O

I think it is just being in the right place at the right time for some of these. I have had a quick glimpse of a LSW and we managed to see the Little Auk when some bad tides had washed it in and it was a bit worn out. We have holidayed in the UK for the past 2 years and try and find areas where we are more likely to see species that cannot be seen near where we live. Two examples of this were Hawfinch and Bearded Tit which we got just by going to the Southern Lake district.

My love to see would be a Bee Eater. they actually did nest in a quarry about 10 miles away from us in 2002 but I didnt really bother about birds then..who knows they might make a return visit in the future.

Pectoral Sandpiper is my biggest bogie. I also feel that I really should have seen Northern Saw-whet Owl by now

Hi,
I think many birders would have birds that are not so rare but still haven't seen them, such as lesser spotted woodpecker or little auk(For GB birders, that is!).
What's yours? I've got LOTS.... grasshopper warbler, golden plover, snipe, curlew, bramblings, siskins....(EMBARRASING!!! Forgive me, I've only been properly bw for a year!):eek!::-O:eek!::-O

Don't be embarrassed, I think many people are envious of that time when there's so much new stuff left! Enjoy it!

Indeed. It costs a decent amount of money nowadays for me to get a new ABA bird, or a substantial bit of luck. Enjoy the newness while it lasts :p

Indeed. It costs a decent amount of money nowadays for me to get a new ABA bird, or a substantial bit of luck. Enjoy the newness while it lasts :p

Yeah... I mean, I'm always desparate for a new bird but I don't want to be a twitcher when I'm older(NO OFFENCE to twitchers) because I really can't cope with all the stress and emotions of dipping out!

I mean, I nearly had a breakdown when I dipped out on an avocet in my local pitch, so how am I going to cope with much rarer birds!?:h?:

Arctic Tern, Razorbill, Puffin, Guillemot (never been to a seabird colony), Eider, Whinchat, Spotshank, Ring Ouzel, Nightingale, Whimbrel. The list goes on... and on... and on...

... don't tell anyone.

To Quote Marmot, right place and right time, and a lot of luck, and location helps. Oh and do Hawfinches really exist because i have never seen one!

Don't be embarrassed, I think many people are envious of that time when there's so much new stuff left! Enjoy it!

Indeed! It's a good time if you ignore the odd birder who'll look down their nose at you if you've not seen everything there is to see (thankfully a small minority!). I think this is the period to really savour as there's nothing like the thrill of seeing new species or behaviour. If it helps it took me about two and a half years to see Golden Plovers (last winter in north Norfolk) and about two years to see Snipe (on my local patch!) and the same for Curlew.

For me the common ones I've not yet seen are Merlins, Hobbies, Peregrines (although I think I got a glimpse of one on Skomer Island a few years ago), Redstarts, Grasshopper Warblers, Garden Warblers, Bramblings, Yellow Wagtails, Arctic Terns... and quite a lot more I think! Plenty to keep me busy in the years to come. :t:

Last edited:
oh dear, I saw a pectoral sandpiper the other week and they're not even native!

There's a good few common birds I've never seen but likewise I've only been properly birding for a year. Redstart (damn thing!!), Yellowhammer, Reed Warbler, Red Kite, Hooded Crow. Not seen a single one!

I've still got a few nemeses left, like Snow Bunting, Bohemian Waxwing, and Kentucky Warbler but it seems like most of my lifers come from the AOU these days.

I've only been birding since January of this year, so there's LOTS I haven't added to my list, but the one that bothers me the most that I haven't got yet is the Kestrel. I'm beginning to think it's a huge conspiracy just to make me look like a fool. LOL...

We get Bohemians as wintering birds here, I have seen Snow Bunting quite a few times (NA and Britain) Still need Kentucky Warbler though!

Hoopoe. Certainly not common here in Ireland, but I've been to several countries in continental Europe where they should be easily found. In over forty years of birding I have yet to see one. Where the hell are they?

Si.

Hoopoe. Certainly not common here in Ireland, but I've been to several countries in continental Europe where they should be easily found. In over forty years of birding I have yet to see one. Where the hell are they?

Si.

Ever tried visiting Spain in spring? Hoopoe is one of the birds that you see lots of every day. Unmissable in April and May at least.

Let's see... the commonest birds (UK) I've not see are:

Ring Ouzel (yes, freakin' Ring Ouzel!), Quail, Jack Snipe, Tawny Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Nightingale (heard more than I can count) and Grasshopper Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back