• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

common birds that light your candle (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi all,
Just been out on my local patch, encountering 24 species, nothing to write home about and thoroughly enjoyed the time. Spent 15 minutes just watching a party of 30 Long Tailed Tits flitting from one willow to another. Their constant high pitched calls etc.
What everyday birds do you have that are always a pleasure to watch? Another of mine are grey waggies. Just great colour, movement, call etc. Can watch them for a good half hour.
Jono

For me it has to be Wrens......great little characters, absolutely bursting their lungs with song at the moment and there are loads of them where I live so I can't help BUT notice them! I know they are one of the UK's commonest birds but I get such a thrill to watch one as it hunts the dry stone walls of our back garden....they're like little mice! Brilliant birds! :clap:

For my husband Neil NOTHING comes close to Moorhens! He's just obsessed with them and it makes his day - no matter what other species we may have seen - if he gets the chance to watch just ONE Moorhen! :t:

Gill

As Long Tailed Tit have already been voted for, my other favourite is Treecreeper.

We once had a tree full of young ones right beside where we stopped for lunch in a Highland glen. It was magic.

D

Just yesterday I watched about 40 starling bathing in a large puddle. They were splashing everywhere and I was fasinated :loveme: . I just wish I'd had my camera.

for me Long tailed tits. Absolutely brilliant little things. Full of charisma with an interesting breeding system to boot! What more could you want!!!

jforgham said:
Hi all,
Just been out on my local patch, encountering 24 species, nothing to write home about and thoroughly enjoyed the time. Spent 15 minutes just watching a party of 30 Long Tailed Tits flitting from one willow to another. Their constant high pitched calls etc.
What everyday birds do you have that are always a pleasure to watch? Another of mine are grey waggies. Just great colour, movement, call etc. Can watch them for a good half hour.
Jono

I love watching house sparrows, they are cheeky little birds. I especially enjoy watching them when they are having a dry bath, they are so cute and someone always manages to start a fight!

jforgham said:
Hi all,
Jono

Chiffchaff for me :D I think, they are so delicate and just never stop ferreting around... under, over and through the foliage.

Curlews, they makes my day if I get to see and even better hear one while I'm out and about. It's the bird that got me to want to start watching as I tried to find the bird that was making THAT call and I still love them now.

Great tits are my favourite bird. They are so handsome with that black stripe and black cap. It's great when they nest in my nest box and have a successful brood. I love the robin too of course, his song at this time of the year is so melancholy.
Rose.

I have two favs. In the summer, its Swallows. I love the way they hurtle about the garden totally disregading my presence, and perch outside my bedroom window at 3.30 on a summers morning twittering "are you awake?" In the winter, its Whooper Swans that fascinate me. They are so aloof and watchful. Could they really be the souls of drowned children? (according to legend)

Orange-crowned Warblers. They are uncommon in the east, and occur late in the fall. It is easy for me to miss them. They are beautiful in a subtle way, and very tame. Just yesterday I found one in my yard and spent fifteen minutes watching it.

Don't you just love them all? I could spend hours standing at my window, watching the many species that come in to feed, and walking the dog through our local woods, spotting whatever i can is just magical.

Pigeons!

Woodpigeons, so fat and waddle around, so stupid and so amusing.

Feral Pigeons, the same stupidity, amusing. Also like the variations.

Western scrub jays in my yard and on my patio. I've known the same family for 12 years. Everything they do is so reptilian. So approachable and so beautiful. I can never get the thought out of my head that if they could, they'd find some way to eat me or stash me in some crevice. Something about the look in their eye. I'm glad they grow no bigger.......

kush23uk said:
Don't you just love them all? I could spend hours standing at my window, watching the many species that come in to feed, and walking the dog through our local woods, spotting whatever i can is just magical.

What she said!

I'll watch the common birds all day. I love to get a good view of a nuthatch, wren, coaltit or even robin. The swallow IS summer for me. The roguish jackdaw always makes me chuckle and as for buzzards....

sparrowhawk for me, they are stunning hunters, and like a living fighter plane when you you watch them 'at work' i cant get enough of them!

they are almost a daily sighting round my patch, a great bird.

I have to agree with Kush23UK - they are all wonderful in their own way at different times!

Blue Tits - cute and entertaining. Great Tits - smart and adaptable. House Sparrows - such boisterous family fun. Blackbirds and Thrushes - graceful, intelligent and entertaining. I could go on and on, but if I was really, really pressed, then I suppose the vote would go to the Tree Sparrow. Very smart in colour, adaptable, squabbly, noisey, a bit secretive and scarce, so most of my time and efforts are spent in trying to help them.

Obviously my list contains garden birds, but if you were to ask about non-common garden birds, well ...............

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back