• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Goldeneye (1 Viewer)

Brilliant ! Suggest moving the photo of the female too. It's captioned, but comes immediately below the "male" heading
If the female image moves down to below that subheading, it will leave a lot of white space.

Unless you think it is very confusing to look at, we'll re-visit how we do the layouts. But a lot of white space means less room for photos.

Where images are available we usually do something like Male breeding, female, juvenile, flight. In between maybe adding winter plumage, and subspecies.

If the female image moves down to below that subheading, it will leave a lot of white space.

Unless you think it is very confusing to look at, we'll re-visit how we do the layouts. But a lot of white space means less room for photos.

Where images are available we usually do something like Male breeding, female, juvenile, flight. In between maybe adding winter plumage, and subspecies.
Up to you. Is there a fixed block for an image at that point? Otherwise unclear why would lead to whitespace.

Are the sections always in same order? Otherwise answer is just to put female section first.

I'd suggest current placement looks odd and could potentially mislead the less experienced.

No, there's no fixed block as such. Attached are two screen grabs to show you what I mean.

1: Shows how it is currently and on my screen, the picture actually overlaps the Female description section.
2: Is what happens if I move the coding for the female image below the Female heading.

An issue is that different browsers, screen sizes etc all display the images differently.

Are the sections always in same order? Otherwise answer is just to put female section first.
Basically yes. The male is always described first (when the sexes have different plumage). This is in line with all/most field guides.

Attachments

• BF Goldeneye layout for The Fern.png
    BF Goldeneye layout for The Fern.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 6
  • BF Goldeneye Female layout.png
    BF Goldeneye Female layout.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
Ok I can see it's partly down to differences between how the phone and desktop render things (I'm using a phone). Guess ideally we'd have layout tailored to platform.

Mmmm.... I think some of this was addressed with the new platform, but guess it's not really possible.

I remember we spent days some years ago trying to work out and accommodate all the various browsers that the different editors were using. Mobile phones weren't such an issue in those days.

I've just looked at that page on my phone (a little one which uses the awful (I think) Chrome) and there the picture is underneath the Male heading. So I see what you mean. Gonna experiment and see what happens if I move it up a bit further.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back