• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Digital Camera for 80mm Swarovski (1 Viewer)

Mac

I just purchased an 80mm Swarovski with their compact camera adaptor. The directions are a bit vague, to say the least.

What cameras would work with this setup? It appears I need a camera and an adaptor, which the directions say should be available in a photo shop (we don't have one here).

I have a Canon 10D, but understand the difficulty of hooking such a heavy camera to a scope. I don't plan on using this camera for digiscoping, but mention it to let you know I'm an experienced photographer (about 30 years worth, off and on).

Any suggestions? The only thing I've seen suggested so far is the 900 series Nikons, which are discontinued, or the new Nikon CP-4500. I'm a Canon fan - would the G5 work?

Mac Knight
http://www.macknight.addr.com
photos at www.pbase.com/macknight

Hi Mac,
As you've found out, the vast majority of digiscopers use the Nikon coolpix cp9**/4500 cameras....you have to realise that there's a reason for this and it's not brand loyalty. The lens design of the cp9**/4500 is almost perfect to capture the image from a scope's eyepiece with minimal vignetting, in addition it's a fixed lens so that you can mount it on to an adapter very easily (in fact straight on to the 28mm ring supplied with the Swaro' adapter).

Some people have had acceptable results with earlier Canon G* cameras, though Powershot range A** usually produce better results (though these have other drawbacks), the earlier Canon G* often need to be used with scope eyepieces that have a longer eye-relief than most to get around vignetting problems....and I'm not sure if any of the Swaro eyepieces fit into this category.

With non-Nikon cameras, you will have to see if the manufacturer supplies an add-on lens/filter adapter for the camera....this will give a thread just in front of the lens when it's fully extended. What the final thread size on this adapter will be is the question...using step rings to get the thread to match that of one of those supplied with the swaro' adapter is likely to increase the vignetting...as the lens will be too far away from the eyepiece (and mm do matter here)

Basically, do yourself a big favour and try to get hold of a Nikon for the job ...but that's easier said than done in North America as even the cp4500 has gone from the shelves. It's better in Europe as Nikon seems to be pushing digiscoping more over here and cp4500's are easy enough to buy new.
Good luck,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back