• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparative review - Swarovski CL B 8x30 vs Kowa Genesis 8x33 vs NL Pure 10x42 (1 Viewer)

It's interesting to read how polarized the opinions over narrow eye cups can be. I eventually sold my Kowa 8x33 Genesis in favour of the 8x30 CL, and one of the main reasons was I disliked the wide, thick eyecups on the Kowa. Just goes to show how ergonomics play such a big factor nowadays when choosing bins. An incidentally the focus knob on my Swaro is just fine, smooth and pretty much how it was on the Kowa.

It's interesting to read how polarized the opinions over narrow eye cups can be. I eventually sold my Kowa 8x33 Genesis in favour of the 8x30 CL, and one of the main reasons was I disliked the wide, thick eyecups on the Kowa. Just goes to show how ergonomics play such a big factor nowadays when choosing bins. An incidentally the focus knob on my Swaro is just fine, smooth and pretty much how it was on the Kowa.
Does the focuser of your CL 8x30 feel a bit "dry" when you move it? Does it make a bit a scratching soumd when you move it? The mine moves very smoothly, but you hear this "dry" sound. I wonder if that is normal on this companions, or maybe there is a very tiny grain of sand/dust in it. It was already from the beginning when I bought it.

I am genuinely curious how you use your CL. I quickly came to conclusion that it's unusable not just by me but by human beans in general, so you must be doing something special with it :cool:

I am genuinely curious how you use your CL. I quickly came to conclusion that it's unusable not just by me but by human beans in general, so you must be doing something special with it :cool:
:) :) I'm not doing anything special, they just fit very comfortably to my face! They are also very forgiving re blackouts etc. They must be usable for a lot of people as they seem very popular. Interestingly there was also the same discussion re the Leica 7x35 Retrovid, which has also very narrow eyecups. People seem to them love or them hate. - and, yes, you've guessed it, I have a pair and they work perfectly for me.

:) :) I'm not doing anything special, they just fit very comfortably to my face! They are also very forgiving re blackouts etc. They must be usable for a lot of people as they seem very popular. Interestingly there was also the same discussion re the Leica 7x35 Retrovid, which has also very narrow eyecups. People seem to them love or them hate. - and, yes, you've guessed it, I have a pair and they work perfectly for me.
This is extraordinary. Do you use glasses? Do you use any full-size binoculars, and if so, which ones? Do the full-sized ones fit your face?

This is extraordinary. Do you use glasses? Do you use any full-size binoculars, and if so, which ones? Do the full-sized ones fit your face?
I don't think it's extraordinary to be honest- there are plenty of other people on here who use them as well without a problem. Besides the CL 8x30 and the 7x35 Leica I also have the Zeiss 10x32 SF, a CL 8x25 and Kowa scope , but nothing larger than that (i.e no 8x42 or so if that's what you mean). I do use glasses, but not when using bins.

the SF 10x32 should have decent-size cups. Any differences in comfort b/w that and the CL?
Like many users of the SF 10x32 I found it takes carefully adjustment of the ipd to get a good view without blackouts. Now I've got is sussed they work just fine for me. And yes they do have larger eye cups but (from memory) they seem smaller than the Kowa.

I suppose my wife and I must have unusually tiny eyeballs since we both find the CL-B extremely comfortable and easy to use. I've often considered picking up a dedicated travel pair so that I can leave my Els at home. No glasses, but perhaps we are terminators... though all my aches and pains suggest I was an early prototype :-/

Last edited:
emphasis added to the point that may be important here. while i'm sure you have a lot of experience with many different binos, i myself find that prolonged experience with one set will color my initial impressions of a new set, often unfavorably. with some time with the new set, especially if i do well to dedicate my time to only the new set, i adjust and find the best practices for use of the new bino and enjoy it more fully. for this reason i've started to pay less attention to user experience reviews and focus more on the objective optics tests and metrics.

Maybe he's just not a bean, human or otherwise.

I confess wear glasses. But the view through the 8X30 CL B Companions is very, very nice. Does it show aberrations? Yes. But that does not prevent me from enjoying it.
The NL P 8x32 is more comfortable to look through. But then it is much more pricier.

Arijit

I have a pair of 8x42 NLs I love as I primarily bird watch. My SO enjoys taking photographs and found her paid of 8x42 Monarch 7s a bit heavy in tandem with her camera. I picked her up the 8x30 CL and once getting used to the smaller eyecup and field of view has really enjoyed the reduced weight and portability.

I think my NLs are definitely superior optically, but when we are running to the park for a quick walk, we tend to grab the CLs. They have a crisp image and are incredibly portable. The NL 32s were the same weight as her 8x42 Monarchs!

I’ll pop in to say I’m in complete agreement with the OP about the un-usability of the 8x30 CL without glasses. I’ve never had such a contrast between a binocular having obviously wonderful optics with extremely forgiving eye positioning yet simultaneously being incredibly fiddly and uncomfortable to actually use. I even hated the texture and feel of the eyecups themselves. Making it worse is that there’s really no good reason for them being so tiny, it’s not like the 8x25 where the dimensions would make it look weird to have a larger eyecups. The 8x30 could easily have wider and thicker eyecups without it looking misproportioned.

Frankly I fLund the 8x30 CL to be a complete ergonomic disaster, I pretty much hated everything about it except the optics. Eyecups too small and narrow with a hard tacky feel and without adequate extension for the eye relief, focus knob set way too far back towards the eye when the rest of the binocular is asking you to place your hands farther forward, ridiculously skinny barrels which don’t give much space to grip yet the binocular is much larger in dimensions than other compact 8x30s (and larger than the UV 8x32 despite being lighter).… and for a little extra salt in the wound they implemented the field pro system but with a different sized pin requiring a silly adapter if you want to use a normal strap. The awkward ergonomics made them fatiguing to use and completely negated the benefit of any weight savings in use. At least the optics are phenomena, unlike the previous 8x30 CL with was just pretty good.

And I’m a very experienced binocular user with a non-deformed cranium, so OP definitely isn’t incompetent or alone :)

On the flip side I also agree Kowa Genesis eyecups are too fat, so I guess I’m an eyecup Goldilocks lol

That may well be, but your choice of words - "complete ergonomic disaster", "ridiculously skinny", "incredibly fiddly", etc.- gives me some clues as to how I should rate your claims.
Not judging anyones opinion, but I thought the 8x30CL B was superb for a small compact bin. I have huge hands, and found them perfectly useable, even preferring them to both the Kowa and Conquest. Agreed, the optics are superb, easily a step up from the other two.
Funny how we all rate stuff differently. I was SO impressed with them!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back