• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (9 Viewers)

A female Cetti's Warbler was present in Coney reedbed this afternoon - its distinctive trill call was heard 3 times to the left of the viewing screen.

A Peregrine flew over late afternoon and two Yellowhammers also flew over. Four Redpolls flew over and then landed briefly in the reedbed - perhaps to take a drink.

The 2 Little Egrets fed in the flooded fields between Salwarpe and Ladywood this afternoon before flying over Coney towards Westwood at approx. 17:15.

Yesterday, a 1st Winter Common Gull flew over the small fishing pool at Porter's Mill and then flew down the valley towards the Severn.

Other species this weekend included 3 Mute Swans, 2 Cormorants, 4 Canada Geese, a few flyover Siskins, Meadow Pipits, a decent flock of Linnets (~50) near Ladywood, Water Rails, male Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Grey Heron, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Bullfinch, singing Mistle Thrushes, loads of Redwings and Fieldfares, Nuthatch, Snipe, Reed Buntings, 2 Ravens nest-building, Treecreeper and most of the usual stuff.

Last edited:
Wayne D texted this morning to say he heard a Cetti's Warbler ('plitt' contact call) at nearby Westwood Pool this morning.......same bird or is there a potential movement of this species at this time of year???

Very windy this morning with strong gusts - one of which has managed to topple one of the large trees in the graveyard onto Salwarpe church - photos below. Not sure when it actually happened but looks like there's a bit of clearing up to do.

The two Little Egrets were still present in the fields between Salwarpe and Ladywood. Pretty quiet otherwise - 2 Ravens, Grey Wagtail, 2 Goldcrests, Coal Tit , Buzzards and lots of winter Thrushes.

Attachments

• Salwarpe Church.jpg
    Salwarpe Church.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Salwarpe Church 2.jpg
    Salwarpe Church 2.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 91
Hope no-one has been hurt in the tree fall and hopefully not much damage to the church,don't think its one that the jackdaw's use for breeding but will they be looking at the other trees in the graveyard?

A Jack Snipe flew out of the reedbed this afternoon plus a few Common Snipe.

A flock of 11 Yellowhammers flew over - the largest flock I've seen on the patch for many years. The largest I've ever seen on the patch was 15 in 2003.

The Little Egrets fed in their usual fields then flew over Coney to their roost at Westwood at 17:15.

A Cetti's Warbler again called from the reedbed several times - the 'plitt' contact call and the more drawn out trill call 'plir-r-r-r-r'.

As I was leaving a male Tawny Owl was hooting near Salwarpe church and a female answered with her 'Kee-wick' call. Hopefully, they will breed in the area this year.

An adult winter Common Gull was on the floods between Salwarpe and Ladywood this morning with a few hundred other Gulls (BH's, LBB's and Herrings).

The two Little Egrets fed in a field north-west of Salwarpe earlier this morning.

A flock of 50+ Pied Wagtails a couple of Linnets over, several singing Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, lots of winter thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Starlings and a pair of Ravens seen /heard but most passerines keeping their heads down in the strong winds.

Sparrowhawk and Common Buzzard.

A beautiful spring-like day on the patch.

7 Lapwings were in the floods by New Mill this morning, eventually flew off south.

2 Blackcaps were by Harford Hill farm.

I heard the Cetti's call once late morning in Coney reedbed.

The 2 Little Egrets went to roost earlier than usual ~ 16:40.

80+ Pied Wagtails roosted in the reeds. A Tawny Owl was calling again by Salwarpe village.

Singing birds included Chaffinch, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Reed Bunting, Dunnock, Robin, Goldcrest and Nuthatch.

Also recorded today, flyover Siskin and Redpoll, Bullfinch, Meadow Pipit, Linnet, Snipe, Water Rails, Ravens, Grey Heron, Canada Geese and Mute Swans.

quick hour 17.00 to 18.00.lots of birds singing tonight ,3 snipe flew,tawny calling,but main thing was 1000s of gulls circling above westwood for some time looks like some may have been disturbing them from roosting?

Just one Little Egret seen today (none seen yesterday).

A Chiffchaff was flycatching along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood this afternoon.

A Sparrowhawk tried its luck with the roosting Pied Wags (well over 100 birds)

Yesterday's sunshine prompted more songsters, including several Skylarks.

The Cetti's was heard again yesterday and Coot and Kingfisher were seen near Porter's Mill.

The first day of spring - and what a fantastic morning.

At least 2 singing Chiffchaffs (possibly 3) this morning - their numbers will increase dramatically over the next few weeks.

Most of the usual stuff, including several singing Goldcrests, male Kestrel, 2 Yellowhammers, Skylark, Ravens, Coal Tits, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Fieldfares, Starlings, Bullfinch and Water Rail.

Also, Redwing in full song. I quite often hear them singing at this time of year on the patch, especially when it's sunny.

The two Little Egrets flew over towards Westwood this evening - don't know where they were hiding earlier. Two more Yellowhammers over. As I was walking back to the car I heard a Snipe fly out of the reedbed calling and a Tawny Owl was hooting by the church.

A quick walk around this afternoon before the rain set in. A male Blackcap gave a brief blast of full song - probably more likely to be one of the wintering birds than a fresh migrant.

A year tick today in the form of two flyover Greylags.

Four Chiffchaffs this morning (3 singing).

Just one Little Egret flew over towards Westwood this evening.

Other species today included Snipe, Pheasant, Redpoll, Siskins, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Meadow Pipits, winter thrushes, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Ravens, Yellowhammer, Linnets, Skylarks, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

An absolutely glorious spring day with afternoon temperatures hitting 18C and the first butterflies emerged in considerable numbers. I counted no fewer than 19 Brimstones and 7 Small Tortoiseshells on my morning circuit. Several Bumblebees and a Honey Bee were collecting pollen and plenty of flies around too.

Four singing Blackcaps and 3 singing Chiffchaffs this morning and Long-tailed Tits nest building.

A Little Owl was sunbathing on an old pollard stump near Ladywood this morning.

Unusually, a Coot was on the canal near Salwarpe and a pair (more usually) were on the fishing pool near Porter's Mill.

Other birds today included Grey Wagtails, singing Treecreeper, Goldcrests, Kingfishers (2 near Porter's Mill and one at Salwarpe), 2 Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Grey Herons, Snipe (3), Ravens, Cormorants, Skylarks, Buzzards, House Sparrows, Mistle Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Linnets, singing Redpolls, singing Blackbirds and Nuthatch.

The single Little Egret flew over Coney towards Westwood at ten to 6 this evening (I wonder where the other one has got to?)

3 Pipistrelles were out at dusk and the Tawny Owl was hooting again as I left.

Last edited:
Another lovely bright spring day:

6+ singing Chiffchaffs
4 singing Blackcaps
3 singing Skylarks
1 Greylag
2 Ravens
1 very pale Buzzard (pure white except grey-brown upper wing)
3 Small Tortoiseshells
Lots of Bumblebees
Redpoll singing
First Toad of the year (picture below)
Tawny Owl very vocal this evening near Salwarpe
1 Noctule and 2 Pipistrelles
B :)

Attachments

• Toad 15Mar.jpg
    Toad 15Mar.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 62
12 singing Chiffchaffs this morning plus 3 singing Blackcaps
3 Grey Wagtails
1 Black-headed Gull (remarkably, the first I've seen on the patch this month)
Kingfisher
Sparrowhawk
Coal Tit
Nuthatch and Treecreeper
Redpoll and Siskin
Goldcrests
7 Cormorants
1 Yellowhammer over late afternoon
2 Peacocks and several Small Tortoiseshells
More Toads

Below - some Frogspawn in Coney Meadow.

Attachments

• Frogspawn.jpg
    Frogspawn.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 53
4 Sand Martins and a Swallow were flying over towards Westwood late afternoon. (this was only a fraction of the hirundine flock present at WW, which included 40 SM's, 2 Swallows and 1 House Martin - per WD). Unfortunately, no House Martin was viewable from the patch.

Another year tick today - a male Tufted Duck at Porter's Mill.

At least 25 singing Chiffchaffs (probably more) - with good coverage of the patch today.

6+ singing Blackcaps this morning (becoming more widespread)

The best of the rest included 2 Yellowhammers (1 male at the back of the allotments this morning and 1 flyover this afternoon). Singing Water Rails (2) in Coney reedbed this evening. Tawny Owl by the church again. Common Snipe and Sparrowhawk yesterday. Common Buzzards, Mistle Thrushes, Grey Wagtails, Ravens, winter thrushes, Meadow Pipits, singing Skylarks, Goldcrests, House Sparrows, Grey Herons, singing Redpolls, Siskins and a couple of Black-headed Gulls (surprisingly scarce at the moment).

Lots of Toad action.

looks like things are warming up on the patch, do you think the BHG's are more interested in finding a mate and that's why there's not to many around? tim

looks like things are warming up on the patch, do you think the BHG's are more interested in finding a mate and that's why there's not to many around? tim

I think you are correct - most are territorial / on breeding sites a tad earlier than is perhaps usual. Larger gulls - Herring and LBB's still relatively common on the patch at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back