• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (19 Viewers)

I think you are correct - most are territorial / on breeding sites a tad earlier than is perhaps usual. Larger gulls - Herring and LBB's still relatively common on the patch at the moment.

Hi Dave there was a oystercatcher at Marys school 2 days ago just telling you ;)

35 Sand Martins roosted in Coney reedbed this evening.

A single Lapwing flew over this morning.

A pair of Gadwall near Porter's Mill yesterday provided a patch year tick.

Now 40+ Chiffchaffs singing on the patch and at least 19 Blackcaps today.

Also recorded this weekend: Yellowhammers, Reed Buntings, Skylarks, 2 Kestrels, lots of Buzzards, Redpoll, Bullfinch, Mistle Thrushes, Coot, 4 Cormorants, Mute Swans, Canada Geese, 2+ Grey Herons, 3+ Grey Wagtails, Meadow Pipits on the move, Water Rails, Snipe, Fieldfares, Redwings, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Butterflies included many Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and a few Brimstones. Honey Bees now becoming active.

5 Pipistrelles this evening.

Below is a picture of False Oxlips - an attractive hybrid.

Attachments

• False Oxlip.jpg
    False Oxlip.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 47
24 Sand Martins roosted in the reedbed this evening.

68 species recorded on the patch in March, taking the year-total to 72 species.

A pair of Gadwall and a male Tufted Duck near Porter's Mill late afternoon.

Approximately 60 Sand Martins gathered over Coney reedbed at dusk but I didn't see them drop into the reeds. A Peregrine flew through and may have spooked them.

3 Snipe flew out at dusk.

Also today were most of the recent birds seen on the patch, including Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Coot, Water Rail, Cormorant, Grey Herons, Skylarks,Grey wagtail and plenty of winter thrushes still. Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs widespread and common now.

A flock of 10 Mute Swans flew over this morning.

24 Sand Martins roosted in the reedbed this evening.

68 species recorded on the patch in March, taking the year-total to 72 species.

Re-count for March - should be 69 species and 73 species for the year (for some reason I'd omitted Tufted Duck).

Got up around 5:30 am this morning - pitch black - just leaving my house when I heard a bird calling overhead - racking my brain to think what it was - a loud but soft 'wik' ...'wik..ik'. I couldn't see anything at that time in the morning but it was probably an overflying Black-tailed Godwit. Won't be able to count it for the patch but an interesting thing to look / listen out for over the coming mornings.

No signs of any fresh migration on the patch this morning but the dawn chorus was deafening - Blackbirds, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Wrens, Dunnocks, Chaffinches, Robins, Treecreeper, Goldcrests, great Tits, Song Thrushes, etc. Worth getting up early for.

My first Willow Warbler of the year singing in Droitwich Community Woods (Gorsey Bank) this evening.

A Tawny Owl was hooting from Salwarpe Church area.

1 Noctule flying about.

4 Snipes flew from the reedbed.

No Sand Martins roosting this evening.

if you don't get a red kite this weekend I will be surprised, one seen over westwood today and we had one over St Nicholas church last sunday tim

Grasshopper Warbler reeling Coney Meadow now in front of screen. Pretty early record I reckon. Swallow and two Willow Warblers earlier.

I had good views of the gropper for about 3 minutes - colouration was fairly standard. It reeled intermittently for over half an hour.

Also today: 2 Redpolls over, 23 Meadow Pipits, Pied and Grey Wagtails, 2 Grey Herons, 2 Sparrowhawks, Ravens, Siskin over, Redwings, 5 Snipe, Nuthatch, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Tawny Owl again at dusk.

The single Swallow flew over fields west of Salwarpe. One Willow Warbler this morning where it was yesterday evening (Gorsey Bank) and another singing along the canal near Salwarpe.

No Sand Martin roost again this evening.

The Grasshopper Warbler continued to perform today. It sang up until 09:40 this morning, briefly at ~15:30 this afternoon, then started up at 7:25 pm this evening. It was still singing when I left at 8:20 pm.

Just 2 Sand Martins were seen to go into the reedbed to roost - even though a decent-sized flock was seen feeding distantly over Westwood.

A pretty good day for raptors - A large female Peregrine flew over mid-afternoon, a male Kestrel was hunting over the meadow, a Sparrowhawk went through and, as usual, lots of Buzzard activity.

Other birds recorded today: Yellowhammer over Harford Hill, a couple of Redpolls over, 3 Willow Warblers, 2 Snipe, Coot, Redwings, Mistle Thrush, Kingfisher, 4 Green Woodpeckers, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Reed Buntings, Linnets, 3 Grey Herons, 2 Cormorants, Starlings, Ravens, Pied Wagtails and Tawny Owl again at dusk.

Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps seem to be singing from virtually every tree / bush at the moment.

A few pipistrelles flying about as I left.

The Grasshopper Warbler started singing just before 8pm and showed briefly. It was still singing as I left.

5 Swallows flew through earlier.

Tawny Owl very vocal again.

Several Snipes.

The Tawny Owl called as we approached the Church and then flew in front of us twice.

Love a bit of Coney !

Attachments

• IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Not done this before so a bit unsure. Hopefully you can pick it up.

Will look forward to next visit.

Attachments

• export.mp3
    395.5 KB · Views: 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back