• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused: Swarovski, Zeiss, 8x, 10x (1 Viewer)

I've been trying to figure out these issues of best magnification too, it's tricky, preferences are different for each person. I've decided it's best to have 10x and 7x and 8x for a while and see which I prefer. It takes a long time and observing in different situations and distances. I mostly favor lower magnification with 7x being my favorite and 8x being the most useful.

However, certain situations require 10x. Watching ducks and seabirds on the water is perfect for 10x because they don't move much, they generally stay put while you're watching. They're farther away and you need power to see details to identify them. The smaller depth of field with 10x is not a problem - I enjoy the greater DOF of low power when I"m watching birds in flight.

I wanted a 10x binocular dedicated to birding (and not astronomy) so I've settled on my favorite - the NIkon 10x35 E2. At 21 ounces it's the same weight as most 32mm but you get 10% more aperture and 10% larger exit pupil which I like. The sharpness and brightness of the current version of these is off the charts, and I find the porro body more comfortable to grip than compact 30-32mm roofs. I just did some comparing with the E2's and my 8x42 Zeiss SF's and the E2 seem like a match in terms of brightness, sharpness and clarity.

Also the short and stubby porros seem easier to hold steady at 10x then longer, more forward-balanced roofs to me. FWIW.

One more thought …….. don’t overthink this, and climb aboard an ever-spinning merry go round of indecision, where you are paralyzed by choices and conflicting advice.

Read through the comments here, try, decide, buy, and use.

Yes, I have noticed already. I saw for example that you do like the SF 8x32.
About this bino, how do you handle the lens covers, do you use them?
A personal choice for sure. Don't have SF's, but I abhor clunky lens covers (front and rear) and have never used them on my 2003 EL's (still used frequently). I do use the convenient objective lens covers ('built-in') on my newer SV's. Regardless, the 2003's lenses are still like new.

A personal choice for sure. Don't have SF's, but I abhor clunky lens covers (front and rear) and have never used them on my 2003 EL's (still used frequently). I do use the convenient objective lens covers ('built-in') on my newer SV's. Regardless, the 2003's lenses are still like new.
Yes, however, I would never reject a binocular, or buy a different one for such a reason as “clunky lens covers”.

I do own a Vortex Diamondback 10x42 and am still happy with it. But now that I can afford it, the idea of buying a top class binoculars is starting to take shape.
For example the NL Pure 10x42. I thought dat I needed a 10x42.

But the Swarovski and Zeiss 10x42 seems too heavy. So I tried the NL 10x32, as well as the SF 10x32 and the SFL 10x40. In and outside the store I've had these in my hands for at least half an hour each.
The SFL immediately fell off because the so-called wow factor was missing and because the focus wheel was not in the right place for me.
The NL and SF both suited me well. The ergonomics of the SF might be a bit better, but I think the NL too could get used to. Blackouts were avoidable.

The shopkeeper insisted that I also should try the NL 8x32 and SF 8x32. I always felt it had to be at least 10x but thought, I'm here anyway, so let's see. What struck me: the slight difference in magnification!
And I observed a slightly quieter image and easier positioning.

So I have had 4 devices in my hands, and I absolutely do not know which one is or could become my favorite.
Just get the Meopta Meostar 8x or 10x32 , either in the B1, B1.1 or the Plus version. You will pay half or a third of the cost for a binocular of equal optical quality, less the Alpha name on the outside of the binocular.

Good luck with your decision ……. no one can make it for you.

You will get all kinds of advice here, some of it sound and some of it completely off-the-wall.

It is up to you to pick the seeds out of all the rest of that stuff.

If you have held each in your hands for 30 minutes, that is much better information than what anyone here can tell you

edj

After those 4 x 30 minutes I was not able to make a decision, so I appreciate all extra info from users and experts here.
My advice would be not to worry too much, despite the expense involved. You should be very happy with any of the excellent options you're considering for quite some time as long as there's nothing you dislike about it, and then if you do begin to feel that something else would serve you better, it will retain good value for resale (due to both quality construction and service support), and you'll have a better sense of what you're doing and why the next time. That's actually quite normal and even starts to make a good story.

Last edited:
it will retain good value for resale (due to both quality construction and service support
Tenex, you may be right about just pick one because it will be good. But about good value for resale I am not sure. It seems a lot of you guys here are buying and selling their bino all the time. Are they selling back to the shop or on eBay and getting a good price? It's hard to imagine here in the Netherlands that something second hand will keep its value.

Tenex, you may be right about just pick one because it will be good. But about good value for resale I am not sure. It seems a lot of you guys here are buying and selling their bino all the time. Are they selling back to the shop or on eBay and getting a good price? It's hard to imagine here in the Netherlands that something second hand will keep its value.
That is not the norm.

Most normal people buy something, and then use it, rather than obsessing over how much they can get for it after the next thing catches their eye, or they are tired of it, or their constant search for flaws makes them unhappy with it.

Don’t fall into that trap.

What did you not like? I think I wouldn't like the fact that they are dangling on the neckstrap or are stuffed away somewhere when the SF is in use.
Mine are “stuffed away” and not dangling.

My rain/spit guard dangles on a simple loop of string, from the neck strap.

It seems a lot of you guys here are buying and selling their bino all the time. Are they selling back to the shop or on eBay and getting a good price?
A few do a lot of that, some are serious collectors, others (like me) buy or sell only occasionally. Some sell directly to one another in the Classifieds on forums like this one or Cloudy Nights or Astromart; you could browse here and see, or even consider buying pre-owned yourself. And yes, some shops take used equipment as trade-ins or to sell on consignment, as I'll bet House of Outdoor in Maarssen does for example, and of course there's eBay. Some buyers are even looking for discontinued models; last year I found a 2011 SLC HD that's now my most used binocular, and Swarovski refurbished it under warranty. So you have even more options, sorry about that...

This is great, a gluttony of contemplations! Next course, different types of prism with yay or nay to image stabilisation for pudding, a sumptuous binocular banquet - enjoy.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back