• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corcovado logistics (1 Viewer)

jurek

Switzerland
I wanted to visit Corcovado for mammals, but I am a put off by descriptions of difficult logistics and time consuming visits.

Any advice how to see Costa Rican monkeys and other mammals with a better balance of time and cost? Is there some less publicized place at the edge of the reserve?

Possibly I am spoiled by Sabah and Brazil, but I hope there is a place where one can sleep and eat cheaply, then just drive or walk into the rainforest and see the mammals and the birds.

I remember the monkeys as reasonably easy in CR, with a couple of species in Carara, and similar in Rincon de la Vieja.

I am not sure we saw the Howlers there, but we heard them several places.

Niels

Any advice how to see Costa Rican monkeys and other mammals with a better balance of time and cost? Is there some less publicized place at the edge of the reserve?

Walking along RECOPE Road and various trails near Manzanillo can be quite productive for birds, mammals & other wildlife.

Gary H

Thanks a lot!

How likely it is to see the tapir or both peccaries in these places? Or any other place easier to access that Sirena station or elsewhere in the interior of Corcovado ?

Hi Jurek, we stayed in Drake's bay and went in for a half day visit, I forget the company now but perhaps these guys: http://www.corcovadoexpeditions.net/hiking-tour-sirena-station.htm It's an option if time and money are restrained. In our half day, we saw all 4 monkey species, tapir, agouti, coati etc and a decent variety of birds http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=265874

If you want to walk in, there is some information on the net, but it can be rather hazardous and take a long time, though I'd expect you would have plenty of great experiences and stories to tell as a result. Half a day was ok to clean up on the mammals, but obviously this is very much down to luck. You can stay at Sirena and I believe you can even fly in from Puerto Jimenez for about $400.

Hope this helps and have a great trip, Costa Rica is wonderful.

Unfortunately, actually visiting Corcovado has become much more expensive because an official, certified guide for the park is required. This happened probably because more than one tourist tried to hike in to the park on their own and became lost. Never mind that the park has been and still is suffering from illegal occupation and poaching by gold miners. But, anyways, there are some options outside of the park in good habitat for varied prices. Check out Luna Lodge, La Tarde, and sites in Drake Bay.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back