• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (6 Viewers)

I was reading this thread for some good news before heading out for some birding, but it seems it's become nasty like any other internet forum. Oh well.

F it. Off to see some birds!

I think we have all gone off topic on this thread, but it's difficult not to do it, given the circumstances and the massive changes that Covid-19 has brought to our lives. However there is a more general thread on life under Coronavirus in Ruffled Feathers, so maybe we could discuss its impact on birding here and the lifestyle stuff over there?

PEACE

;)

It's not that none of us aren't affected by Covid in other parts of our life, it's just that most of us have can compartmentalize and have other avenues to vent those concerns. I have facebook to vent about the big picture economic/government/job issues, and I have friends I chat with to vent about the personal life aspects.

And for some of us, birding does serve a purpose beyond just a thing to do on the weekend. For me, Birding has always existed as a major distraction that helps me deal with chronic depression and anxiety. And given that my last major bout of anxiety sent me to a hospital due to a heart attack, there is some very deep concern regarding this.

You are a genuine *** for being happy that guides (+ porters + hotel owners + drivers) lose their livelihood.

I do not wish anything bad on people who make their living in a honest way - that is offer services for voluntary acceptance. I was aiming at those who live off the "you must an official a guide to go there" schemes. If those "livelihoods" ceased to exist, I would be genuinely happy and I don't see a reason to apologize.

I do not wish anything bad on people who make their living in a honest way - that is offer services for voluntary acceptance. I was aiming at those who live off the "you must an official a guide to go there" schemes. If those "livelihoods" ceased to exist, I would be genuinely happy and I don't see a reason to apologize.

Obviously justifiable from your own First World problem perspective. ;)

I would probably never use a guide either, but reality is that poaching/logging/development are likely to be the winners here.

Andra Tutto Bene ;)

One of the biggest impacts the C-crisis is having on birding is evidenced by some of the tensions, fear, anger and stress spilling over at times onto this thread and that’s its impact on birders themselves.

Purely within the context of the ’impact of the coronavirus on birding’ all of us are I believe, passionate about our hobby/ conservation work/just getting into ‘wild spaces’ etc because we absolutely need it to maintain a sense of mental well being in varying levels of degrees - I know I do. It’s perfectly understandable, therefore, (and probably shouldn’t be underestimated) the effect that serious curtailment on these activities, due to forces beyond our control, is rather challenging for all of us on an emotional level as well as a practical level. It’s not just about not being able to jump on a plane, having to cancel a holiday, or not being able to go places. It’s more than that. For us as birders, it’s really more than that and goes much deeper.

It's not that none of us aren't affected by Covid in other parts of our life, it's just that most of us have can compartmentalize and have other avenues to vent those concerns. I have facebook to vent about the big picture economic/government/job issues, and I have friends I chat with to vent about the personal life aspects.

And for some of us, birding does serve a purpose beyond just a thing to do on the weekend. For me, Birding has always existed as a major distraction that helps me deal with chronic depression and anxiety. And given that my last major bout of anxiety sent me to a hospital due to a heart attack, there is some very deep concern regarding this.
Nicely put. Yes we're all worried about life, our health, the health of our loved ones but birding will give us a chance to break away from that worry if only for a short time. Mental health is important too.

And I don't use guides either but I feel like ***t cancelling car hire with and hotels in Tanzania and I expect to do the same with Uganda later in the year because they are going to really suffer. I may not use them, but guides are human too and deserve compassion.

Last edited:
Bravo, Deb!

You mention its impact on conservation activities. On Saturday, I was planning on helping some friends install some nest boxes at a local park. Yesterday, they asked if I would skip that session. One of them has had a kidney transplant and is on immunosuppressants and the other is dealing with cirrhosis and unassociated other medical problems. They'd prefer to limit their contacts.

Such are the times.

Andra Tutto Bene ;)

One of the biggest impacts the C-crisis is having on birding is evidenced by some of the tensions, fear, anger and stress spilling over at times onto this thread and that’s its impact on birders themselves.

Purely within the context of the ’impact of the coronavirus on birding’ all of us are I believe, passionate about our hobby/ conservation work/just getting into ‘wild spaces’ etc because we absolutely need it to maintain a sense of mental well being in varying levels of degrees - I know I do. It’s perfectly understandable, therefore, (and probably shouldn’t be underestimated) the effect that serious curtailment on these activities, due to forces beyond our control, is rather challenging for all of us on an emotional level as well as a practical level. It’s not just about not being able to jump on a plane, having to cancel a holiday, or not being able to go places. It’s more than that. For us as birders, it’s really more than that and goes much deeper.

The aggression really is just the usual suspects, though. Everyone else is exhibiting politeness and community spirit.

The great thing about birding is you can do it by looking out of the window, so very few should get stressed about being really prevented from undertaking the hobby. With luck and working from home this may be the year I get Osprey onto the garden list....

John

The aggression really is just the usual suspects, though. Everyone else is exhibiting politeness and community spirit.

The great thing about birding is you can do it by looking out of the window, so very few should get stressed about being really prevented from undertaking the hobby. With luck and working from home this may be the year I get Osprey onto the garden list....

John

My garden list is on about 3. Admittedly I don't spend any time on it. Given a lot of effort I could probably get well into double figures. Possibly up to 20. Mothing slightly more successful.

Looking out of the window

You're right about that.
Just looked out and have a Chiffchaff -much earlier than normal

My garden list is on about 3. Admittedly I don't spend any time on it. Given a lot of effort I could probably get well into double figures. Possibly up to 20. Mothing slightly more successful.

Yes, I shall be dusting off the moth trap before long as well. In fact I think the whole obs may be up and running soon.... ;)

But if you extend your garden list to include things seen from it, then the sky is literally the limit.... my flyovers include Cuckoo, Peregrine, Merlin, Black Kite, Ring Ouzel, Raven; while neighbours' trees and those outside the end of my garden have held Whinchat, Spotted Flycatcher, Yellow-browed Warbler.... The brook running past the end of the garden, which I can see directly from upstairs, has yielded singing Sedge Warbler, Snipe, Common Sandpiper, and regularly attracts Little Egrets.

Even the least promising garden will repay fanatical attention. :t:

John

But if you extend your garden list to include things seen from it, then the sky is literally the limit.... my flyovers include Cuckoo, Peregrine, Merlin, Black Kite, Ring Ouzel, Raven; while neighbours' trees and those outside the end of my garden have held Whinchat, Spotted Flycatcher, Yellow-browed Warbler.... The brook running past the end of the garden, which I can see directly from upstairs, has yielded singing Sedge Warbler, Snipe, Common Sandpiper, and regularly attracts Little Egrets.

I propose a live webcam from your garden John, for those of us who don't have one! ;)

Yes, I shall be dusting off the moth trap before long as well. In fact I think the whole obs may be up and running soon.... ;)

John

Is that in the UK somewhere? The idea of seeing a YBW on my garden is really something :) Fantastic list.

John

The three includes flyovers! I exaggerate slightly, but not much. I was excited to get a house sparrow a while ago. The end of my garden is a garage area beyond that is another garage area with some kind of works going on. Mind you I go birding at Alton Water a fair amount so I am used to seeing very little.

Last edited:
Blackcap, Firecrest and Short-toed Treecreeper giving it the full 9 singing in the garden today. A lovely early Spring day.

From my window (3rd floor, a building in an urban area) in a few minutes I got: Black Redstart (male and female, probably nesting nearby), Blackbird, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Ring-necked Parakeet (8 flyovers) and a falcon, most likely Peregrine, but it was too briefly seen in bad light.

Read earlier that apparently COVID-19 has infected 2,629 health workers in Italy (8.3% of the total) which is fairly scary.

But will now try to keep out of the posting of stats, theorising and random stuff for a bit henceforth ... ;)

As yet, my birding hasn't been affected. Spring passage (earlier further south) must be one potential plus for anyone stuck indoors by an open window. Chance for peeps of the odd unexpected nocturnal migrant, especially on call?

Hi all,

I’m in Costa Rica at the moment and live here most of the year. We were to fly back to the boat in late April but we’re putting those plans on hold for now. We may end up hunkering down here through the rainy season instead which is not a hardship.
For myself we’re currently doing the social distancing thing and so far have nothing to complain about. The market farmers are still producing local fruits and vegetables and more importantly coffee and chocolate.

Most of my friends and acquaintances here are accredited professional birding guides. They are generally small operators that spend money and time every year to train and be re accredited for things like high level first aid and other necessary tools of the trade.
They pay for and take courses and spend money to keep their equipment up to date. They pay for insurance, run websites, office, staff and vehicles. They and folks like them are the ones who are going to feel the pinch with this virus.

The local single park guides usually aren’t employees of the parks, exceptions being places such as La Selva. They can be very good at what they do but they usually don’t jump through any hoops to be accredited and they certainly don’t have to run a small business. They’ll still get that captive audience of visitors at the park gate regardless so there is little incentive to up their game. As tourism drops off it will be hard for most of these local guides but they will survive by sensibly moving back to their extended families. They’ll drift back to the parks when the crisis is over and I’ll be glad to see them as some are friends.

The professional accredited guides I’m acquainted with feel that folks should be able to visit any park without having to hire a guiding service including their own. The local park guides don’t agree. Currently an exemption exists in the restricted parks which absolves one of having to hire a local park guide if a hired accredited guide is present.
Apart from internal pressures and local politics accidents occur in parks all over the world. When one happens here the press from the grieving parents or angry visitor usually causes a fair amount of public noise. This triggers palpable angst in the halls of the park and tourism authorities which in turn results in more rules such as being discussed in this thread.

Right now, regarding the virus situation the general feeling in the birding guide community here in Costa Rica is to not panic, tough it out, work together and focus on the long term.

Cheers,

Bryan

So birds today:

Had to go to Sintra and spotted a Booted Eagle while in the queue for the supermarket.

At ‘new’ residence there were a number of Sardinian Warbler.

I will admit to driving to Setubal to find the Ring Necked Duck which i found at second pass. Along with a Swamphen, two Gadwall, some teal, Cettis etc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back