• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corvid ID - Dublin (1 Viewer)

SeanG

Ireland
Is the corvid in the middle of the jackdaws a carrion crow or a first winter rook?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• P1150030 - Copy.JPG
    P1150030 - Copy.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 189
Hi Sean,
This is a 1st-winter Rook for me, for the reasons pointed out earlier and also note the head shape compared to a Carrion (or Hooded) Crow, with an obvious crown peak.
Regards,
Harry

That bill is massive! Doesn't look right for either species to me, unless a bill can actually get smaller in the transition from juv/first-winter to adult?

Small, "peaked" head, "trousers", and general lanky/angular, long-winged jizz all suggest Rook over CC to me, but if it's not a Rook, I wonder about an escaped "exotic" like a Large-billed Crow or something... ?!

The field-guide 'rules' for identifying crow-type corvids just don't seem to apply with some confusing birds that you see in the (actual) field. Frankly, I'd just leave this one alone if this is the only photo to go on.

It's not big enough to be a Raven, and the size of the bill is more length than depth. It honestly does look a lot like a Large-billed Crow!

I'm thinking though that the most likely thing is a young Rook with a possibly somewhat overgrown bill - I wondered about the long bristles, but various online images of juv Rooks also show this, if not a bill of such overall length...

Hello,
what an interesting bird for me: thanks for sharing!
I agree with the others, that a 1 cy Rook is the best fit, but what a massive bill.
A Raven doesnt look like the real deal here, imo:
  • it seems too small, even for a small juvenile (? right or wrong)
  • And after reading the answer from Harry, I realized the crown peak results in a head shape bad for a Raven and good for a Rook
I hope this doesnt out as an offense, but I hope for others with massive experience with exotic Crows to jump in. I havent, but know, there are similar species in other parts of the world.

You'd also have to take probability into account too - CC is much less common than Hooded Crow or Rook in Ireland. So one needs good reasons to say Carrion Crow.

You'd also have to take probability into account too - CC is much less common than Hooded Crow or Rook in Ireland. So one needs good reasons to say Carrion Crow.
Hi folks

Here is another photo I got of the bird, with a hooded crow for comparison. maybe this might help.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back