• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Could you help me identify this bird by its song? (2 Viewers)

longtry

Viêt Nam
These 2 days I've been listening to a bird somewhere near my house, but haven't been able to see it. It sings quite loudly, unfortunately I live in an urban environment, so the recording might be noisy. But could you help me with a name?

Hi Longtry and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry I can't identify that song, as I've never been to Viet Nam, but others will be along soon who should be able to advise.

I presume the recording was made recently, but it would help if you could let us know where abouts in Viet Name you are and maybe what some of the species of birds you do see if you know them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Do you get Clamorous Reed Warbler where you live?

Edit - having checked it seems not. Oriental reed warbler would be most likely then.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome! In fact this might be the warmest I've got, what a surprise.
@hannibalscannibal It's a coastal city in northern VN.
@delia todd Yes, I took the record yesterday, having heard the bird the day before. It was a brand new melody to me! Normally, the usual residents here are sparrows, red vented- and whiskered- bulbuls, spotted doves, and tailorbirds.
@mummymonkey Oh, the oriental reed warbler song on ebird sounds really similar to the file! Actually I got a half-second glimpse of "it", but it might as well be a random one - not the songbird - that happened to be there, so I didn't include the detail in the OP. And it was too fast to be descriptive, anyway, but I think I saw a stripe of a different color on an otherwise light brown, 15-25cm long bird. The stripe ran along its body, where the wing ends, and thus fits some of the images I searched about the ORW just now. The distribution picture on wikipedia indicates that ORW's range doesn't reach my city, but it might actually explain why I only heard it for the 1st time recently.

So if the ORW hypothesis is true (which I think is likely), then we're observing a real-time change of habitat now! :)

I may need you help identify another bird. It's not exactly rare where I live, but I don't know its name. The bird is rather small, black, except brighter-white patches at the very end of its spreading tail feathers. It has a very elegant way to move from branch to branch, where it usually turns 180°, almost like dancing. I thought this bird is of the silent type, but recently I caught it singing. Didn't have a phone with me then, but the melody was pretty distinct, so I could somewhat replicate it here. Could you provide your thoughts?

I may need you help identify another bird. It's not exactly rare where I live, but I don't know its name. The bird is rather small, black, except brighter-white patches at the very end of its spreading tail feathers. It has a very elegant way to move from branch to branch, where it usually turns 180°, almost like dancing. I thought this bird is of the silent type, but recently I caught it singing. Didn't have a phone with me then, but the melody was pretty distinct, so I could somewhat replicate it here. Could you provide your thoughts?

Maybe a White-throated Fantail? I'm not sure if it's in your area but the description fits and the song sounds similar to online recordings.

Song:

These 2 days I've been listening to a bird somewhere near my house, but haven't been able to see it. It sings quite loudly, unfortunately I live in an urban environment, so the recording might be noisy. But could you help me with a name?

Unfortunately my computer won't play this recording, so I can't comment directly on this, but given the discussion above I'll make a couple o f comments that may be useful.
- Oriental Reed Warbler do sing on migration at this time of year, so it is possible that your are hearing this species, even if you are outside the normal breeding range.

- Are you hearing this song near marshy wetland? Oriental Reed Warbler is mostly a wetland species, and mostly sings in dense wet vegetation. They do occur in drier habitats (even urban areas) on migration, but I'm not sure they would sing much in other habitats.

As an alternative species, I wonder if Streak-eared Bulbul is possible. I found these to be quite common when I visited Vietnam, even in urban areas. I remember the call reminded me of Oriental Reed Warbler song, with similar short, scratchy notes.

Thanks @johnallcock ! The 1st bird is likely a red warbler on migration, as some people pointed out, and the 2nd is, with little doubt, white-throated fantail. I'm really surprised that among the various descriptions about the bird that I just read on the internet after I learned its name, none mention the fantail's waltz-like movements. Its elegance is beyond words! Anyway, what I heard is quite similar to this recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back