• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Counterpart of Swaro Habicht 8x30W but no porro? (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
Some time ago I was able to try a Swarovski Habicht 8x30W, I thought it had a spectacular image, now I wanted to find a no porro binocular that would be its counterpart, that is, that would show the same image... with quality and reliability...
Is there a sub-alpha like this? Maybe the Zeiss Conquest 8x32, or a Nikon HG 8x30..?? any other??
Pluton

Hello,
Some time ago I was able to try a Swarovski Habicht 8x30W, I thought it had a spectacular image, now I wanted to find a no porro binocular that would be its counterpart, that is, that would show the same image... with quality and reliability...
Is there a sub-alpha like this? Maybe the Zeiss Conquest 8x32, or a Nikon HG 8x30..?? any other??
Pluton
There is no roof prism binocular comparable to the Habicht 8x30W because no roof prism has 96% transmission and the stereoscopic view of the Habicht. A porro view is always different from a roof. The Habicht is in a class by itself, so if you want a binocular like the Habicht 8x30W, you have to buy the Habicht 8x30W. Probably the closest binocular to the Habicht 8x30W would be another porro the Nikon E2 8x30 or SE 8x32, and neither one is as bright the Habicht 8x30W. The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Nikon HG 8x30 or Meopta Meostar 8x32 although all great binoculars do not compare with the Habicht in brightness or stereoscopic view.

Last edited:
@ pluton: What is the issue with the Habicht if it had a spectacular image? It is comparatively cheap, light, small but ergonomically perfect, robust, waterproof, ...

I have somewhat large hands and their grip was not very comfortable, I had too many hands, the focus wheel was slow and a bit hard, to observe birds... I had some reflection in some positions, the eyepieces were a bit small for me uncomfortable and for my glasses the eye relief was somewhat scarce...
This is all very personal, I understand.
If we forget about these little things...
The image was, in axis, Spectacular!

Ok. Naturally it is your personal experience that counts above all else.
I cannot advise you further, because in the size you are enquiring about I only have that Swarovski, albeit in two different versions, a Steiner Ranger Xtreme 8x32 and a Zeiss SFL 8x40. Of these you discounted the Swaro and I can whole-heartedly recommend the Zeiss. The Steiner is a solid, rugged middle-of-the-road tool, which will not let you down, but which is also nothing much to write home about.

I have somewhat large hands and their grip was not very comfortable, I had too many hands, the focus wheel was slow and a bit hard, to observe birds... I had some reflection in some positions, the eyepieces were a bit small for me uncomfortable and for my glasses the eye relief was somewhat scarce...
This is all very personal, I understand.
If we forget about these little things...
The image was, in axis, Spectacular!
Try the Habicht 10x40 or 7x42. More eye relief and less glare. They have the same spectacular view as the Habicht 8x30W. You can also get the bigger GA eyepieces from Swarovski and change them out for more comfort.

Nikon SE would be closer to the Habicht’s. Another possibility would be the Oberwerk ED (aka SE) , opticlly better than E2 , water proof and great for larger hands, and it’s a bargain. Only problem , it’s MIC 😣

Pluton: if you want a classic bright sparkly view with excellent center sharpness from a roof-prism model, try Zeiss FL 32... or even FL 56, if you're willing to carry it. Past alpha, now available for less. (I'm not a fan of the 42s due to edge aberrations.) Swaro SLCs might also suit you.

It shows how fundamentally sound the porro design is that to get a view of similar brightness, sharpness and clarity/colour rendition to the Habicht you need to look at really outstanding roof binoculars. If you found an 8x30 porro too small and would like more eye relief and a quicker focus speed, and if retaining the 150m field of view of the Habicht is important - although with such short eye relief you would most likely not be seeing the full field of view with glasses - the 8x32 NL is definitely worth trying. If you can live with a narrower field of view, Swarovski's 8x32 EL SV and later 8x30 SLC models offer something very close to the image offered by the Habicht (better in some respects such as edge sharpness). Zeiss also have the 8x32 SF and 8x32 FL that are worth trying.

You may also want to look at the 8x30 SFL, 8x32 Conquest HD in particular and Meostar 8x32 if you can find it. It may well be that you'll find them comparable to the Habicht, and if you do, you'll save yourself a good deal of money over the NL/SF.

If the Oberwerk ED is a good binocular at the price point, what is the problem with it being MIC? I agree on the Nikon SE 8x32, but good luck finding a pair anymore! You can still buy E2's.
SE’s come up for sale all the time, there’s one right now on the Bay. If you don’t know what the problem is with MIC , you’ve been living in a cave the last few years. 🤔

I own Nikon E2 8x30 and use them for my regular birding. The fov at 8.8 deg, along with decent eye relief and a beautifully sharp, colour-neutral images makes them an absolute joy to use. I recently purchased a pair of Oberwerk 8x32 SE and I have to admit that they are optically even sharper and brighter than the Nikons. In addition to this, there are literally NO chromatic aberrations; yes, none what-so-ever. Quite remarkable considering that I paid half the price tag of the Nikons ($500 vs $250). I’ve used a friend’s Monarch HG 8x30 and they were optically very good (terrible blackouts though). The Oberwerk 8x32SE is leagues better.

The Nikons shine above the Oberwerks in terms of fov and ease of view, 8.8 deg vs 8.2. But 8.2 deg is still a generously wide field and it’s very well corrected too. In terms of colours, the Nikons are a hair warmer (or Obies a hair cooler) but extremely close to each other. The Oberwerks are waterproof and extremely comfortable in the hand too.

The Oberwerk SE 8x32 might be just what you’re looking for if you‘re looking for ultra high fidelity porro binos that fit into largish hands!

Hope that helps ...

I also have bigger hands and the meostar 8x32 is the best fit of any 8x32 binocular I have tried and my primary birding bino for hiking. It handles glare very well and the focus is easy to turn and precise (but not the fastest if that is a priority for you).

It's a difficult one to answer, I'd be tempted to say the Zeiss FL 7x or 8x42 as they have a similarly high transmission as well as being light for there class.

There are very few if any ak prism 30 or 32 binoculars, other than exotic's like the Leica perger models that employ total internal reflection like the habicht porro's you mention. The FL range is one of the lightest and brightest in the same weight range.

Will

There are many 8X30/32 roofs available, the question is how much cash is one willing to relinquish. Personally if one has the Habicht or the EII 8X30 or even the Nikon SE, why in the world would they get the oberwerk. I gave buying cheap $250 bins, they always fail in one way or another.

I believe there are very few counterparts to the Swarovski Habicht’s in a roof, imo. I think the Swaros are the top of the line optically in that genre. Of course a good roof in that price range will give a more balanced optical tool. No way do i compare the overall quality of an E2 or SE to the Chinese Oberwerk SE, but certainly in specific optical traits they do seem to be slightly superior. Whether those optics and their coatings will last some have doubts , and I don’t even think we can compare the build quality to the Nikons which will probably will last decades. But when somebody doesn’t have the money and can get a pair of binoculars with optics that are equal to or better than a $500-$800 MIJ Binocular then it becomes a serious option for many, if your principles allow MIC products.

The thing I think I’m noticing is that these $200-$300 MIC binoculars have come a long way in the last 10-15 years. Years ago most $200 binoculars are we truly not too good optically and we’re made like crap, even MIJ. I believe we’ve come to a point with this price point with the increased optical quality level have introduced serous birding equipment that would’ve cost double or even triple a while back. The question does remain is the durability over time, but then again How long does anything last when you’re buying entry level, the thing here is entry level just got that much better.

Entry optics are somewhat improved, but then again there is sample variation - more common today IMO. One gets what they pay for when it comes to build quality.

I’ve bought two pairs of Oberwerk 8x32 SEs so far (one for my father and one for me).
In terms of built quality; I can report that the eye cups on both have ill-defined stops and their movement is uneven. The focus wheel on my pair is easier to move than my father’s but both move smoothly and precisely. The diopter ring on each feels flimsy but seems to stay put.

Optically, both Oberwerk units were identical. The sheer durability of the Obies is definitely greater than the E2s. Collimation is simply better on the Obies.

The binos are an interesting combination of plusses and minuses, and regardless of their cost I think they should be seriously considered as top optical performers.

I’ve bought two pairs of Oberwerk 8x32 SEs so far (one for my father and one for me).
In terms of built quality; I can report that the eye cups on both have ill-defined stops and their movement is uneven. The focus wheel on my pair is easier to move than my father’s but both move smoothly and precisely. The diopter ring on each feels flimsy but seems to stay put.

Optically, both Oberwerk units were identical. The sheer durability of the Obies is definitely greater than the E2s. Collimation is simply better on the Obies.

The binos are an interesting combination of plusses and minuses, and regardless of their cost I think they should be seriously considered as top optical performers.
Not for $250.00 sorry, you have no idea what the long term durability of the ob is regardless, I will keep enjoying my Nikon SEs and E IIs, no need to downgrade.

I believe there are very few counterparts to the Swarovski Habicht’s in a roof, imo. I think the Swaros are the top of the line optically in that genre. Of course a good roof in that price range will give a more balanced optical tool.
Agreed. However, I do wish Swarovski would modernize the Habicht line a bit. Just a bit: Smoother focusing, better baffling in the 8x30, better (rubber) eyecups (similar to the ones Zeiss used in the Dialyts).
The thing I think I’m noticing is that these $200-$300 MIC binoculars have come a long way in the last 10-15 years. Years ago most $200 binoculars are we truly not too good optically and we’re made like crap, even MIJ.
Agreed. I first noticed this when I got the APM 6x30 last year. Surprising optical and mechanical quality.

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back