• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

104 Brambling (in Knocknacarra)
105 Treecreeper
106 Knot

Hi Colin, You saw some drama amongst the Dippers! Its always a pleasure to see them around Galway city. I saw one just downstream of the Salmon Weir Bridge recently - it was swimming in the deep water in the channel there, rather than in the shallow water along the river bank. It flew from the bank right in and under the water and then flew straight up from the water onto the bank again. It seemed quite succesfull too as it swallowed some food item each time it landed back on the bank.
Aoife

A few shots from Lough Atalia today. Note the Linnet has a green ring I assume another illegally ringed bird. Seeing 2-3 of these ringed birds every year.

Attachments

• DSCN0190 110111.jpg
    DSCN0190 110111.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0191 110111.jpg
    DSCN0191 110111.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0171 110111.jpg
    DSCN0171 110111.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0204 110111.jpg
    DSCN0204 110111.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 51
Hi Tom.
Saw you last night on the TV in your segment on EcoEye. Very interesting programme about biodiversity in Ireland. Viewable on the RTE player.
Aoife

Lough Atalia

Hi folks, I am going to be travelling up to Lough Atalia on the weekend of the 22nd Jan (weather permitting) to try and take some photographs of Goldeneye and Scaup there (plus mergs and grebes etc). I was hoping someone could tell me the best place to plonk myself down and sit for a few hours. I was told that the holy well site (with the cross in the water) was great but was hoping for other areas should this fail to produce.

Also, are there any goosander in the area which are within the range of the camera?

Many thanks,

Mark

Colin definitely illegally ringed birds no metal ring. There are a few active members of the caged birds group in Galway.

Mark holy well site is ok which places you facing east. Another good location is from the Renmore side. Parking is easier here also and the sun is at your back or coming in from your left side.(south) A few Scaup there at the moment, 30+ Mergansers 4 Little Grebes 60+ Coot, Shelduck, Teal, Wigeon, Kingfisher, Greenshank, Lapwing and a feeding frenzy of about 2000 Black-headed Gulls which is ongoing for over 4 weeks now.

Aiofa at least one person in Galway was watching Eco Eye.

108 Goosander (2) Lough Muck near Killary Harbour 6/01/11 Dermot Breen
109 Black Redstart River Walk, Gort 08/01/11 Barry Howell

Thanks Tom. Enjoyed the Eco Eye the other night as well. You came across very well!

Is it best to park at Lakeshore Drive and move along the shoreline there?

A few shots from Lough Atalia today. Note the Linnet has a green ring I assume another illegally ringed bird. Seeing 2-3 of these ringed birds every year.

Tom,

Why do you say illegally ringed? Couldn't they be escapes?

I realise they could be wild-ringed (in the nest), but that would make no sense, because this ring would not 'legalise' them.

I also realise that captive birds should be close-ringed, but I think these split plastic rings look like someone marking captive-bred birds, but omitting to close ring them.

Mícheál

Last edited:
Hi all,

Seán Kelly had a single Waxwing today in Galway City at "Newcastle Park, right beside the hospital and across the road from the university. There's a real obvious tree with huge berries opposite no. 14."

Is that new for your year list?

All the best,
Niall

Hi all,

A request on the BirdWatch Ireland Facebook page today: "Pauline O'Donohoe - I have just seen a jay in Rinville Woods, Oranmore Co. Galway, are they common on the west coast?"

Would anyone be able to comment on the status of Jay in Galway & I could forward the information onto Pauline?

Cheers,
Niall

hey folks...any info on goldeneye, scaup, finch numbers at Lough atalia at the moment? I plan to head there either tomorrow (Saturday) or Sunday. Thanks.

Mark

Mark
No Goldeneye, 10 Scaup, Little Grebe, 100 Coot, Wigeon, Teal, Gadwall, Lapwing. Usual collection of Finch. The best place to get Goldeneye is Anglinham on the Corrib and that can be hit and miss if there is any shooting.
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back