• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

Hi, I see the Belted Kingfisher may still be around. They are usually long-stayers so I was surprised when it left so soon, if indeed it's the same bird.

Just a quick question re. where it has been found, Salt Lake - is this worked regularly or is it likely to be a chance encounter. I'm just wondering if it might have been there a while, (hopefully) or whether the site is worked regularly and therefore it's more likely it's just turned up.

Thanks

Hi Steve

The bird was seen from the main Clifden to Ballyconneely road and I'd go over that bridge a few times each week. It's not a site you'd think of birding as like most loughs in West Galway it's usually absolutely devoid of birdlife. This is a sealough and the best bird I've ever had in there was probably just a wintering Common Kingfisher, one of the few sites I have seen the species here. I'll be out there in the morning.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=241697&page=2

Hi Steve

The bird was seen from the main Clifden to Ballyconneely road and I'd go over that bridge a few times each week. It's not a site you'd think of birding as like most loughs in West Galway it's usually absolutely devoid of birdlife. This is a sealough and the best bird I've ever had in there was probably just a wintering Common Kingfisher, one of the few sites I have seen the species here. I'll be out there in the morning.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=241697&page=2

Good luck Dermot. I hope to be there Saturday if you find it!

Paul was that a metal ring on the teal's leg? Where did I put the shotgun again?

Dermot...I only saw the ring briefly but got the impression it was not metal, and half way up the tarsus. Hopefully it acquired it in America and not in some collection. You could try donning a wet suit and crawling out to it Gollum style while the moon is still full if you fancy seeing where it's come from. 'Give me the ring'!

American Coot and Green-winged Teal still present at Ballyconneely this morning. At least 5 Waxwings in the gardens just off O'Briens Bridge (on the left looking towards the Salmon Weir Bridge) late this afternoon. At least three Waxwings at Clydagh near Mocullen on Wednesday feeding on a garden hedge. Must be a lot more of them out there.

3 Waxwings in a garden in Moyola Park this afternoon. At least 7 Waxwings in Terryland on the main road opposite the primary school late this afternoon. Two also in Clifden this a.m.

Where have all the Greenfinch gone?

Greenfinch used to be the most common species at my bird feeders. I haven't seen one in the last 2 weeks. I know there was a serious disease about 2 years ago that particularly affected greenfinch. Has this led to a serious population decline

Hi can anyone tell me how regular the Forster's is? it doesn't get reported regularly and I wasn't sure if that reflected its behaviour or that it just wasn't getting reported. Is it nailed on?

Thanks.

On our club outing to Nimmo's Pier on 1/12/12 we were reasonably confident that we saw the Foster's with three Sandwich Terns. Conditions were difficult - low tide, long distance and directly under a low bright sun.

Has nobody else noticed a big decline in Greenfinch numbers?

Brendan
Can't say I've noticed a decline in Greenfinches. Never get them in any numbers out here anway.

Steve
We have very few active birders in Galway so the infrequency of reports of the Forster's is mainly down to this factor. Between Nimmo's Pier and the causeway out to Mutton Island is your best bet at low tide. At high tide Newtownlych Pier can be better.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,532784,713716,4,1
It can disappear sometimes between the two. I had three Sandwichs at Nimmo's and two later at Aughnish causeway (just to the West of Newtownlynch Pier) on Saturday but no Forster's. You usually though have a reasonable chance of picking it up if you visit both of these areas. Btw. the adult American Herring Gull hasn't been reliably seen this year at all.
I upload any Galway news to the following Twitter feed if you haven't seen it already. https://twitter.com/GalwayBirdNews

It's a New Year again and the first visit to Nimmo's Pier on the first Saturday of the month. 5th January, for a nice walk along the pier and Claddagh Beach. Just not about birds but also a social event to catch up with those other birders you have not seen since the last outing or meeting. With the chance to see the returning Forster's Tern.

Attachments

• 1000944 010113.jpg
    1000944 010113.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 55
Brendan
Can't say I've noticed a decline in Greenfinches. Never get them in any numbers out here anway.

Steve
We have very few active birders in Galway so the infrequency of reports of the Forster's is mainly down to this factor. Between Nimmo's Pier and the causeway out to Mutton Island is your best bet at low tide. At high tide Newtownlych Pier can be better.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,532784,713716,4,1
It can disappear sometimes between the two. I had three Sandwichs at Nimmo's and two later at Aughnish causeway (just to the West of Newtownlynch Pier) on Saturday but no Forster's. You usually though have a reasonable chance of picking it up if you visit both of these areas. Btw. the adult American Herring Gull hasn't been reliably seen this year at all.
I upload any Galway news to the following Twitter feed if you haven't seen it already. https://twitter.com/GalwayBirdNews

Thanks Dermot. Would love to get over and see it. It's been a while since i saw the Anglesey bird. Would be good if you could pin down the American herring Gull as well.

Cheers.

Steve

BirdWatch Galway Event this week
All about Raptors
Wednesday 16th of January , with special focus on survey and conservation work carried out in Galway. John Lusby, BirdWatch Ireland’s Raptor Officer.

Saturday 19 Jan at 1.00am
Outing to Rusheen Park (Galway City Council) for Shore and Woodland Birds. Leader: Tom Cuffe. (Please note not at Small woods BirdWatch Galway hide)

REPOST OF PREVIOUS MESSAGE WITH CORRECT AND INCLUSIONS

Wednesday 16th of January All about Raptors, with special focus on survey and conservation work carried out in Galway. John Lusby, BirdWatch Ireland’s Raptor Officer. Salthill Hotel. 8pm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday 19th January Outing to Rusheen Park (Galway City Council) for Shore and Woodland Birds. Leader: Tom Cuffe. 11am

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back