• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (41 Viewers)

What does a velvet scoter look like? Had to look it up in the book, I didnt think we had them here at all!! Good tick, hope it flies North to Bangor and sits off the Long Hole like the GND I missed last year?

What does a velvet scoter look like? Had to look it up in the book, I didnt think we had them here at all!! Good tick, hope it flies North to Bangor and sits off the Long Hole like the GND I missed last year?

Hi Derek

Slightly larger than a Common Scoter with a big white wing panel on the exposed secondaries. I have been looking through the scotor flocks of Dunany and Cruisetown for some time now. They are apparenty difficult to pick up on the water as they are often some way off the beach. The best way is to watch flocks of scoter as they fly by. If they are within range you won't miss the big white wing patches. Maybe late winter early spring might be good for NI as birds are moving back up the Irish Sea. Derek Charles will know where you best bet is.

They are regular but scarce every year in Louth/Meath from Dunany down to Gormanstown. So they will be flying back up your way some time this spring.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hello Peter/Derek.
There have been 3 Velvet Scoter wintering in Belfast Lough for the past 5/6 years but we haven't seen them this year so far. They are mostly seen from Whiteabbey/Greenisland. Birds are occasionaly seen at Dundrum Bay but the scoters are usually difficult to see here and sit well offshore. Occasional birds are sometimes seen at Lough Foyle mainly off Magilligan.
If you do see Scoters sitting on the water Velvets can sometimes be picked up on size alone as they are somewhat bigger than Common and this is obvious even at long range.

Derek

Nice - my garden now holds over 50 greenfinches...
Added
83. Scaup (on the lough though they might have been just over the border...)
84. Razorbill

water bird in county meath?

Hi folks.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - there is no "local patch" for County Meath so I thought I'd place it in here.

Was out for a walk recently and was struck by quite a large and - to my untrained eyes at least - unusual water-bird on the river Boyne in County Meath.

It was perhaps two foot tall, all black apart from a white crest on the top of its head. It dived under water for approximately 10 seconds before reappearing 10 or 15 yards upstream. Any ideas what bird I was looking at?

On a partly unrelated topic, would grey herons and little egrets engage in hostility? Herons are a common sight along my part of the river. I spotted a tall, all white bird (which I believe was an egret) and as it alighted on the bank a nearby heron came and chased it loudly down the river. It was an astonishing sight - I just wish I had David Attenborough and his equipment with me!

Regards,

d.

It was perhaps two foot tall, all black apart from a white crest on the top of its head. It dived under water for approximately 10 seconds before reappearing 10 or 15 yards upstream. Any ideas what bird I was looking at?

On a partly unrelated topic, would grey herons and little egrets engage in hostility? Herons are a common sight along my part of the river. I spotted a tall, all white bird (which I believe was an egret) and as it alighted on the bank a nearby heron came and chased it loudly down the river.

Hi d,

County Meath is very welcome!

Could it have been a cormorant? They can have white around their heads at this time of the year, especially if coming into breeding condition (there is a rare southern race that develops this plumage earlier - sinensis). It would seem to me a little early bit but otherwise everything fits cormorant - see pic of full breeding plumage specimen - this starts with white around the top of the head.

Herons are famously territorial and aggressive amongst themselves - i have seen them tolerate little egrets sometimes and at others times chase them away...it may be that they become more aggressive as spring advances (the pic was taken in november).

Attachments

• cormorant sinensis 2 vincennes mar 06.jpg
    cormorant sinensis 2 vincennes mar 06.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 132
  • heron and little egret anagassan nov 04.jpg
    heron and little egret anagassan nov 04.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 137
Toomes

I was out in Toomes this afternoon doing a bit of a survey. The best birds were Long eared Owl, Water Rail, Snipe and 2 Jay.

Some picture of the site attached. A beautiful spot.

107 Jay
108 Long eared Owl

Attachments

• toomes1.jpg
    toomes1.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 137
Garden Birds

I put out some niger seed a few weeks ago to attract Goldfinch and finally it paid off last week when a single bird started using it. Today there were a dozen Goldfinch feeding from it. I was having a problem with Rats and Squirrels robbing food from the feeders so my brother made me this contraption which seems to be doing the trick. Its halfed my food bill! I had my first Siskin of the winter today and the first Lesser Redpoll at the zoo feeders last week. I wonder are the birchs and alders running out of seed.

More in hope than in expectation, I put out some halfed apples on to some very small trees in my garden, which is in a very exposed location in the middle of the country. The aim of course was to attract Blackcap and amazingly it worked! I have been living here for 3 years and never once have I seen Blackcap. They must have been there all along. God only knows whats out there unseen.

109 Blackcap

Attachments

• feeders.jpg
    feeders.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 135
  • squirell.jpg
    squirell.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 140
  • siskin.jpg
    siskin.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Redpollzoo.jpg
    Redpollzoo.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 145
  • blackcap.jpg
    blackcap.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 121
Hello Peter/Derek.
There have been 3 Velvet Scoter wintering in Belfast Lough for the past 5/6 years but we haven't seen them this year so far. They are mostly seen from Whiteabbey/Greenisland. Birds are occasionaly seen at Dundrum Bay but the scoters are usually difficult to see here and sit well offshore. Occasional birds are sometimes seen at Lough Foyle mainly off Magilligan.
If you do see Scoters sitting on the water Velvets can sometimes be picked up on size alone as they are somewhat bigger than Common and this is obvious even at long range.

Derek

Nice find Sandra, well done.

Derek (Polley) The best way to keep track of the birds in your local area is to buy and contribute your sightings to your local bird report.
Apparently the NI bird report is a fine publication -and will give you the locations and time of year that scarce birds turn up.

Thanks Derek (Charles)

It would be interesting to find out where he came from. Let us all know. Saw a collared Greenland white front on the Little Brosna callows in November. All the info i got back on the birds history was fascinating. Obviously a goose neck collar is a lot easier to read than a small ring on a Redpoll;)

More in hope than in expectation, I put out some halfed apples on to some very small trees in my garden, which is in a very exposed location in the middle of the country. The aim of course was to attract Blackcap and amazingly it worked! I have been living here for 3 years and never once have I seen Blackcap. They must have been there all along. God only knows whats out there unseen.
First blackcap of winter in my garden today - a male - only females this past few years. I'd also agree with Peter's statement about what goes unseen. I have only seen blackcap once in any location other than my garden, and unlike Peter, mine is bang in the middle of urban Dundalk. A pair nested in ivy at the back of Crowe Street (very centre of Dundalk approx. 6 years ago).

Excellent photos Gerry!! What a super morning given the adverse weather early on. Thanks to you, Don and Enda. Great finds. Who needs year lists when you have a few great birds like these?

Hi Freddie
I would normally agree with you regarding year lists etc. However , I decided to start my own on January 10th and although I will not be competing (if that's the correct word) with Peter, Breffni, et al, it has reinjected a large amount of interest in my birding and I find myself out alot more than previously. From this point of view I feel that year lists, if they increase people's interest, are beneficial.
So long as we don't get too serious - I can just see it, late December, only 1 bird seperates the front runners - Peter surpresses his latest find, Breffni puncturing Peter's tyres, a committee of experts set up to pass judgement of claims and counter claims, etc - oh the fun of it all :C
Better go and get another look at the semipalmated plover, eskimo curlew and hooded merganser at the docks before it get dark (hopefully they'll be gone tomorrow) - ONLY SUPPRESSING / JOKING!
Derek Watters
PS Why are there so many Dereks on this forum???

Last edited:
Well said Derek (Watters).

I dont normally keep a year list but when breffni started I couldnt resist. County Louth is a nice size your never more that 30 minutes from the bird or a dip and its a great excuse to get out. I am lucky in that I have more spare time on my hands this year that I have ever had, or am likely to have so its my best chance to give it a go. Sure its only a bit of craic anyway. And when the wheels eventually do come off the wagon probably in September/October I will only have myself to blame for making my list public.

Good luck with the list! Its addictive. Go on Freddie give it a go. You might enjoy it.

I put out some niger seed a few weeks ago to attract Goldfinch and finally it paid off last week when a single bird started using it. Today there were a dozen Goldfinch feeding from it.

Where did you get the niger seed Peter? We would have the odd goldfinch on our feeder but the most we've had at any one time is 3. Would be worth trying the niger seed if I can get some.

Hi Freddie
I would normally agree with you regarding year lists etc. However , I decided to start my own on January 10th and although I will not be competing (if that's the correct word) with Peter, Breffni, et al, it has reinjected a large amount of interest in my birding and I find myself out alot more than previously. From this point of view I feel that year lists, if they increase people's interest, are beneficial.
So long as we don't get too serious - I can just see it, late December, only 1 bird seperates the front runners - Peter surpresses his latest find, Breffni puncturing Peter's tyres, a committee of experts set up to pass judgement of claims and counter claims, etc - oh the fun of it all :C
Better go and get another look at the semipalmated plover, eskimo curlew and hooded merganser at the docks before it get dark (hopefully they'll be gone tomorrow) - ONLY SUPPRESSING / JOKING!
Derek Watters
Can't wait for late December Derek!!

Where did you get the niger seed Peter? We would have the odd goldfinch on our feeder but the most we've had at any one time is 3. Would be worth trying the niger seed if I can get some.

Hi Margaret, I bought it in Ardee. I cant remember the price but will be buying some soon and let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back