• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crown with letters marked (1 Viewer)

I was joking.

Galilean binoculars were made in vast numbers in France, the U.K. and other countries.
They started officially in the Netherlands.

A whole binocular photo would help, but I suspect they are late 1800s field glasses of about 5x magnification and the marking is a military mark, possibly in Spain.

They often didn't have makers names, but some do, such as Dollonds.

The markings are rather crude and may have been applied after manufacture.

Regards,
B.

The single crown is used on Spanish equipment.

But it could be used by other countries.

Three crowns are used on Swedish equipment, including binoculars by Zeiss and others made in Sweden.

I suppose E could be Espana?

British equipment has an arrow with 14A being RAF equipment.

Regards,
B.

I am from Spain...you are right, this crown It looks like our crown...but our military markings usually are marked with the crown and the arm simbol (artillery....infantry...engineers) not only the crown...and I have never seen a spanish binocular from this era with that markings...I show you the binocularsScreenshot_2023-11-01-18-29-07-949_com.wallapop~2.jpgScreenshot_2023-11-01-18-29-18-866_com.wallapop.jpg

This is what I was looking at - the 4 looped crown looks Spanish? I think the E I could be initials? Does MV or 1005 mean anything Spanish military? The other thing I was wondering did the Spanish have another service which could use the Royal mark? In Britain could be Royal Mail, RNLI etc.?

The italian crown is 5 looped as well as the spanish is...the E.I. could mean "Esercito italiano"? I think that the correct words It would be "regio Esercito italiano" but I am not sure...the M.V...maybe "milizia volontaria"?? I dont know!

I have field glasses with extra markings that were not made by the manufacturers.

Also one British one with a Cork Ireland marine suppliers name.

Could M be Maritime?

B.

The glass doesn't have natural blooming, a kind of mild coating, so maybe early 1900s.

I wouldn't worry too much as I have seen numerous marks on field glasses.

B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back