• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

curio 7x21 cold hinges to touch ? (1 Viewer)

...I use bins and telescopes in all kinds of weather. I once got cold burns on my hand because I was continually changing eyepieces out in my refractor in sub 30s weather but that was with no gloves on...
Aluminum is very dangerous to touch when it starts getting below zero by much. Funny how the burns resemble what you might expect from touching the woodstove. (maybe funny wasn't the right word...)

Lucky man. My wife dreams of going there on holidays.
When it comes to cold, gloves, etc, where you live or travel and your preferences and sensitivity can explain why we make different choices.

For instance, I really dislike touching cold metal and I do not understand why the Curio were designed this way. Not to mention that such exposed metal will dent, wear, etc.
Most all binoculars have some exposed metal that you may end up touching. Poor you, I would refrain from the
purchase, you don't deserve it.......
Jerry

Most all binoculars have some exposed metal that you may end up touching. Poor you, I would refrain from the
purchase, you don't deserve it.......

This is a strange post. This forum is usually calm & polite. The Curio has much more metal exposed than other binoculars: this is a fact
So why this tone?
Why do you feel the need to talk like this to someone who never said anything to you in a discussion about such an innocuous subject?

Did you consider therapy instead? It would be better for you, the forum and other people that have to suffer your behavior too.

This is a strange post. This forum is usually calm & polite.

Did you consider therapy instead? It would be better for you, the forum and other people that have to suffer your behavior too.
Don't worry about that poster and his rude norm. Your concerns are valid, much more so than any of his statements suggesting otherwise. Last part of your post is spot on.

This is a strange post. This forum is usually calm & polite. The Curio has much more metal exposed than other binoculars: this is a fact
So why this tone?
Why do you feel the need to talk like this to someone who never said anything to you in a discussion about such an innocuous subject?

I find it very odd to see a negative post on such a silly complaint, and that is why I called it out.
This binocular has had a very positive set of reviews and experiences.
If it is not to your liking just move along. It would be unfortunate if someone considering a purchase changed
their mind over such a thing. As mentioned above wear gloves or ???
Jerry

I find it very odd to see a negative post on such a silly complaint...If it is not to your liking just move along.
As mentioned above wear gloves or ???
You find his complaint odd, and yet posted something even moreso. Take your own advice and just move on if you can't, or don't want to understand another member's valid concerns. Somewhat of a joke to consider using the Curio with gloves anyway.

The worst part of your post is the suggestion that those of us who accept any imperfections in the Curio and are vocal proponents of its excellence need to get rid of them or shut up. The fact that you don't like that we're not blindly fanboyish about them is absurd.

Back to binoculars, I suppose others have had exposed metal bridges (HT, NL) but the flat expanse of this one, extending onto the barrels and with only a tiny focuser, does involve an unusual amount of finger contact with metal. Oddly enough the shape is identical to the previous Swaro 8x20 which of course was fully armored, so why isn't this? The Curio would surely have been more practical without Marc Newson, who I hope has moved on to other endeavors. I don't think I would have taken the trouble pm42 has to address this.

Last edited:
The Curio would surely have been more practical without Marc Newson, who I hope has moved on to other endeavors. I don't think I would have taken the trouble pm42 has to address this.
It does look nice though, and in non-cold climes very comfortable. Thankfully there is the fully covered Ultravid, and while I agree that I’d be unlikely to have taken the efforts he has, still nice to see people’s ingenuity in action at times!

It does look nice though, and in non-cold climes very comfortable. Thankfully there is the fully covered Ultravid, and while I agree that I’d be unlikely to have taken the efforts he has, still nice to see people’s ingenuity in action at times!
I live in a cold in winter climate. If gloves are too cumbersome and the bare metal bothers me, I’ll use one of my other fine binoculars in winter. I actually don’t go out that much in the bitter cold. These bins will be awesome on summer, spring, fall hikes.

I don't know if the Curio is actually intended for use in the kind of conditions in which one might suffer cold burns on an ungloved hand. The name and design (and format too, I'd say) indicates something you'd expect to see Anna Wintour peering through at the Paris Fashion Week. Unless of course Ms Wintour thinks the ostrich leather Ultravid pocket better matches her outfit...

I don't know if the Curio is actually intended for use in the kind of conditions in which one might suffer cold burns on an ungloved hand.
Maybe there is a difference between "being cold enough so you experience some discomfort touching it" and "getting cold burns" ?
And maybe it is sometimes useful in cold conditions to have binoculars small enough to fit into a pocket and light because weight is an issue? I've been told it happens in the mountains.

And maybe reading the original thread would have lead to discover that the motivation was not cold as much as protection against wear.

The name and design (and format too, I'd say) indicates something you'd expect to see Anna Wintour peering through at the Paris Fashion Week. Unless of course Ms Wintour thinks the ostrich leather Ultravid pocket better matches her outfit...
Once again, maybe reading the threads would have lead to the discovery that some people here are using them for a slightly wider range of usages.

But hey, the is the Internet: if you do not read, you can always despise what you do not understand.

I don't know if the Curio is actually intended for use in the kind of conditions in which one might suffer cold burns on an ungloved hand.
It wasn't, but there's no reason that we can't use what we buy the way we want to, and feedback from the public often helps manufacturers to improve various aspects of their products. The Curio is great the way it is, but many of us would like to give up just a touch of compactness for some covering.

I wish that I'd had one of these modern pocket wonders back when I was going to the top of a couple local mountains on a daily basis, and never had a binocular. Would have been wonderful, both day and night, to have had a Curio then, but when it's cold enough that even carrying a can of pop in my inner jacket pocket, even if I had a parka on over everything else, they were almost always frozen solid. That happens a lot when -10 below is considered comfortably warm.

It wasn't, but there's no reason that we can't use what we buy the way we want to, and feedback from the public often helps manufacturers to improve various aspects of their products. The Curio is great the way it is, but many of us would like to give up just a touch of compactness for some covering.

I wish that I'd had one of these modern pocket wonders back when I was going to the top of a couple local mountains on a daily basis, and never had a binocular. Would have been wonderful, both day and night, to have had a Curio then, but when it's cold enough that even carrying a can of pop in my inner jacket pocket, even if I had a parka on over everything else, they were almost always frozen solid. That happens a lot when -10 below is considered comfortably warm.
I remember well my first visit to Anchorage rental cars with power leads hanging out the front in 1982. I asked what they were for. Answer “If you don’t plug it in it’ll cost you a fortune”

I remember well my first visit to Anchorage rental cars with power leads hanging out the front in 1982. I asked what they were for. Answer “If you don’t plug it in it’ll cost you a fortune”
There aren’t many cars in the interior of Alaska without at least an oil pan and block heater. At -50 below it takes me about 10 hours to get the car started if I just plugged it in, otherwise it starts pretty easily.

How are you bonding with your new binoculars now that you’ve had them for a while?

There aren’t many cars in the interior of Alaska without at least an oil pan and block heater. At -50 below it takes me about 10 hours to get the car started if I just plugged it in, otherwise it starts pretty easily.

How are you bonding with your new binoculars now that you’ve had them for a while?
Yeah for us Fairbanks guys, Anchorage was considered tropical.😀

Yeah for us Fairbanks guys, Anchorage was considered tropical.😀
When people say they're from the Kenai or Anchorage I always say "Oh, southerners..." to which they usually go "No, we're.....oh yeah, we are southerners to people from the Interior!" That said, even though I've guided down to colder than -40 below countless times, the worst hypothermia ever got me in Ketchikan, and it's the only time I've been so cold that my hands didn't work and I could hardly talk!
That mid-winter wind in Ketchikan is brutal, especially if you've got a ways to go!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back