• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus ID help needed (1 Viewer)

DavidRodley

Three photos of birds taken in Cyprus early September 2018. One is eagle like. Bonelli's ? Also a Shrike. Juvenile Red Backed ? Lastly, a warbler type, haven't a clue. Any help greatly appreciated. I did see lots of other birds which were easily identifiable !!

Attachments

• DSC02055.JPG
    DSC02055.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC01967.JPG
    DSC01967.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC02050.jpg
    DSC02050.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 152
Hello David,
1 is a Honey Buzzard, please note the right barring to the tail. two bars at the base and one at the and everything else also good

3 is a Red backed Shrike, wrong scapular pattern for Woodchat Shrike among other things

Thank you very much, the White tail on the Honey Buzzard threw me and it does look very much like an Eagle to me !! Have seen Honey Buzzards at Wykeham Forest in UK, but the various morph types are confusing. Thanks again.

#2 is a Sylvia warbler (well, a Curruca warbler with the new revision of the genus, anyway!); not sure which one, best guess Eastern Subalpine but I may well be wrong on that. But unstreaked back, so not a Cisticola.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back