• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (9 Viewers)

Hi all,

I'm just started out in bird photography and I'm currently looking for places in north derbyshire. Any recomendations?

Captured these at Carsington at the weekend (Sheepwash Hide I think)

There is Ogston Reservoir, but thats not particuarly in the North, but it's definetely worth a visit.
Great picture by the way! :)

Hi all,

I'm just started out in bird photography and I'm currently looking for places in north derbyshire. Any recomendations?

Captured these at Carsington at the weekend (Sheepwash Hide I think)

Hi Simon,

Depends a bit on what you want to photograph. For birding I favour Padley Gorge, Derwentdale, and Goyt Valley.

John

Hi John, I have been reading your reports of Willington with interest as I live down the road at Burton. Could you tell me exactly where you go and how to get there please, as I would like a look round myself. Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi John, I have been reading your reports of Willington with interest as I live down the road at Burton. Could you tell me exactly where you go and how to get there please, as I would like a look round myself. Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi John, thats something i would also like to know. How do you get there? It sounds great there, i would like to check it out sometime.

I'm going to go to Willington Gravel Pits today, to see what it's like. I'll let you know if i see anything good when i get back.

I went to Willington Gravel Pits yesterday, and didn't arrive on a good day. It was one of those bad bird watching days i think. Saw a few mallards, a heron, a few crows, coots, and sand martins going into the burrows by the pond.

That's a shame Anna - were you there mid-day? I very rarely get down there before 6pm and I pay the occasional visit early morning (5am-ish).

On the occasions that I have visited mid-day; I've found it a little quieter as well.

I like to get there an hour or so befor dusk if I can and I usually stay for a couple of hours. I think that I get a lot of birds returning to roost at that time.

I know that we haven't had much of a summer so far but I'm looking forward to autumn and winter already when places like Willington GP come alive with the winter migrants.

I notice on the DOS website that there are now 10 Little Egrets roosting at Drakelow, that must be quite a sight for those of us lucky enough to have a permit (and I don't have one). DWT will no doubt get their act together on this issue in the not too distant future.

PS: Always nice to see a few Snipe isn't it John, beautifully coloured birds when you get a good view of them.

PPS: Anna - it's always worth while taking your time as you walk along the green lane lane at Willington, take a really good look in those hedgerows and trees, they're a prime spot for Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Long Tailed Tit, Marsh Tit and other Tits, Chiffchaff, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat and lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap, Kestral, Green and Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Treecreeper and others. I very often take half an hour each way just walking along that lane.

A few months back I had really good close-up views of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker and a Treecreeper in the same tree, at the same time, in one of the trees just past the Anglers Gate on the left hand side and, I think on the same day, a good long close-up look at a Sedge Warbler in the same area of hedgerow. The Blackcaps come really close along there as well.

Last edited:
I had a quick look around Willington Gravs this morning before I went to work on afternoons. Not alot showing but to be fair I was only there for not much more than an hour. I did see: Grey Heron, G C Grebe, Moorhen, Buzzard, G S woodpecker & Lap wing.
On the way home I went over the Trent towards Repton and about half way between Willington and Repton, a bird of prey flew across the road in front of me.....I'm pretty sure it was a Peregrine.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone can help. According to birdguides.com, there was a Yellow-legged Gull at Carsington yesterday (16th). Does anyone know if this was an adult bird?

Its just that I have found an adult Yellow-legged Gull near to my home in Staffordshire this evening, at Croxden Quarry. I'm just wondering if it's the same bird.

Cheers

Richard

I wonder if anyone can help. According to birdguides.com, there was a Yellow-legged Gull at Carsington yesterday (16th). Does anyone know if this was an adult bird?

Its just that I have found an adult Yellow-legged Gull near to my home in Staffordshire this evening, at Croxden Quarry. I'm just wondering if it's the same bird.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

Not that it helps much on this occasion but Carsington Bird Club has its own web site that reported three Yellow-legged gulls among others. See http://www.carsingtonbirdclub.co.uk/cbc/asp/ListSightings.asp

John

Thanks John

I tried getting onto Carsington's website the other day, but it wasn't working.

I've now come to the conclusion that they are different birds. I've seen my Yellow-legged Gull again at Croxden Quarry this evening, and on birdguides.com another has been reported from Carsington.

I've just had a reply from the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust regarding Drakelow permits.

They have a list of permit holders from up to 2001. So if anyone is in the same position as me where a permit has been mislaid, then it should be ok to ask the DWT for another one. Could always check first like I did.

That's a shame Anna - were you there mid-day? I very rarely get down there before 6pm and I pay the occasional visit early morning (5am-ish).

On the occasions that I have visited mid-day; I've found it a little quieter as well.

I like to get there an hour or so befor dusk if I can and I usually stay for a couple of hours. I think that I get a lot of birds returning to roost at that time.

I know that we haven't had much of a summer so far but I'm looking forward to autumn and winter already when places like Willington GP come alive with the winter migrants.

I notice on the DOS website that there are now 10 Little Egrets roosting at Drakelow, that must be quite a sight for those of us lucky enough to have a permit (and I don't have one). DWT will no doubt get their act together on this issue in the not too distant future.

PS: Always nice to see a few Snipe isn't it John, beautifully coloured birds when you get a good view of them.

PPS: Anna - it's always worth while taking your time as you walk along the green lane lane at Willington, take a really good look in those hedgerows and trees, they're a prime spot for Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Long Tailed Tit, Marsh Tit and other Tits, Chiffchaff, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat and lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap, Kestral, Green and Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Treecreeper and others. I very often take half an hour each way just walking along that lane.

A few months back I had really good close-up views of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker and a Treecreeper in the same tree, at the same time, in one of the trees just past the Anglers Gate on the left hand side and, I think on the same day, a good long close-up look at a Sedge Warbler in the same area of hedgerow. The Blackcaps come really close along there as well.

Thankyou for that.
I'll try and get down again sometime this week in the evening or early morning. ;)

Took a walk down at Willington this morning for the first time in 10 days, having been busy.
Best sighting was a juvie Redstart at the back of the reserve near the footbridge over the railway. Otherwise quiet now the Sand Martins and Common Terns have departed, as have many of the warblers. There were just 3 Snipe on view.
John

Took a walk down at Willington this morning for the first time in 10 days, having been busy.
Best sighting was a juvie Redstart at the back of the reserve near the footbridge over the railway. Otherwise quiet now the Sand Martins and Common Terns have departed, as have many of the warblers. There were just 3 Snipe on view.
John

Well done John for spotting the redstart! ;)

My permit for Drakelow arrived in the post today, from the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust. I'll get over there soon, and when I do it'll be the first time for about nine years!

If the work done by the DWT at Willington is anything to go by, then Drakelow is in safe hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back