• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (7 Viewers)

Apparantly there was a Wood Sandpiper at Carsington (WLCen) yesterday (Sunday) with a Probable (?) Curlew Sand.... any info anyone. Couldn't get up there and wondered if anyone else did?

cheers

I've finally got round to visiting Drakelow with my new permit.

Not a bad selection seen there. Gadwall, Shoveler and Pochard in amongst the duck. Still a few, but quite large, juvenile Cormorants in their nests. Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk, Green Woodpecker, Willow Tit, one flyover Grey Wagtail.

The wildlife trust have managed to clear some of the willow from within Scott's pool and while viewing there, in dropped a Snipe.

It will be interesting to see what work they will be doing in future to improve the habitat. Mainly clearing and controlling willow I would think, just like at Willington. Then hopefully that will also improve the views from some of the hides.

Hi all,

Demoiselle Crane at Great Hucklow Yesterday/this am till 9am apparantly but looks like no sign since, probably an escape, but hey a great looking bird. Wish the little devil had stayed, I couldn't go at first light.....

Cheers

Hi all,

According to my pager there has been a juv Gannet on Howden Res for the last couple of Days, still present 1.30pm today. Good county bird.

Additional info for any Yellow-legged Gull fans out there is that there has been up to 14 birds in the roost at Carsington.

The Demoiselle Crane seen near Great Hucklow may have been present earlier as a local apparantly enquired about the possibility of a crane a few days earlier....

Seeing as there is a Dusky warbler in Notts at Netherfield how about an eastern warbler in our county, I keep checking my local hedges!!!

cheers

Had a "quick" (over an hours drive for me!) trip up to Howden Res late yesterday and the juv Gannet was still there...not sure what the future for this bird is, sadly it didn't look too bright, but was roosting so difficult to judge its condition when it appeared to have no head for most of the time!

Cheers

Hi everyone, not been on for a while, yet i'm back and will be off for a long time to come. o:)

Don't know if anyone has been to Ogston Reservoir but there are some good species of birds down there;

Shoveler, Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk, Pochard, Common Snipe,Common Buzzard, Raven, Goldeneye, Kestrel, Blackcap (male),Common Gull, Redwing, Skylark, Pink-footed Geese, Golden Plover, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Jack Snipe Sandwich Tern, Barnacle Geese (presumed to be part of the resident flock from Carsington), Wigeon, Fieldfare, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll (heard not seen), Dunlin, Rock Pipit, Willow Tit, Mute Swan, Greylag Geese, Brambling

Other News; 1 Water Vole

Hi Anna

I'm in Derby this week, doing a training course at Mackworth College. I do intend to visit Willington and Drakelow afterwards at some point, so I'll keep you posted :t:

Quiet at Willington except for the noise from the large digger that DWT are using. Anyone know what they are trying to achieve at the back of the large pit.

John

I just got back from Willington. Two Whooper Swans were there, in for a quick wash and then flew out towards the Trent. Quite a few Fieldfare around, and four Snipe.

I noticed the work being done. Not sure what they're doing, probably clearing more willow.

Hi John

Where the mound of earth was, I'm certain there used to be trees there. Could be wrong though, it's odd how the memory plays tricks on you!

Perhaps it's the start of an earth cliff for nesting Sand Martins or Kingfisher? That would be good, but we'll find out eventually!

Last edited:
Ok I'm going to be really sad and ask has anyone seen the Reeves Pheasants in Kedleston Park and if so where is the best site...they are cool birds and I fancy seeing them but there is a lot of the park area and I'd like to narrow down the search a little!!

Cheers

Not much out of the ordinary at Drakelow today, but if you're into Cormorants it's the place to be. I counted 173, but there have been counts of over 400 recently.

Won't please the anglers though. I won't go into that because you could start a whole new thread on this subject.

Had a decent day on duty with the ABB crew at Carsington Water today. It was Feed The Birds Day too, so extra busy and lots of names and addresses went into the RSPB mailing list.

Anyway, the birds - best of the day was the Red-necked Grebe early on but not seen after 10:40 when a fisherman's boat pushed everything away. Peregrine, a daily visitor at the moment, sat on the pylons before stooping down to miss a Lapwing, miss a Coot but eventually took a probable Teal (right when yours truly was on his lunch break - damn!). 43 species from the Wildlife Cente, several probably missed with the contant rush of visitors.

Also during the day a Black-necked Grebe was reported at the Sheepwash, I picked up a 3rd winter Yellow-legged Gull there in the last light of day (video - dark) and at least 500 Jackdaw, perhaps many many more, flew in to Hall Wood.

re: the Howden Gannet. Could it have been the same juvenile that turned up later at Carsington, Carr Vale a couple of days after that and was eventually taken in to care in Mansfield on the 15th?

Now, cue the world's worst record shot (the RNG) which strangely features just enough diagnostic information to figure out - size, shape, thick dusky neck, pale cheeks. This was the girlfriend's effort on our dingiest scope since I was busy using the best ones to make sure everybody got to see it.

Attachments

• worstrecordshot.jpg
    worstrecordshot.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 113
  • carsingtonyellowleg2.jpg
    carsingtonyellowleg2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 102
  • carsingtonyellowleg1.jpg
    carsingtonyellowleg1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 91
  • carsingtonjackdaws.jpg
    carsingtonjackdaws.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 92
Had a decent day on duty with the ABB crew at Carsington Water today. It was Feed The Birds Day too, so extra busy and lots of names and addresses went into the RSPB mailing list.

Anyway, the birds - best of the day was the Red-necked Grebe early on but not seen after 10:40 when a fisherman's boat pushed everything away. Peregrine, a daily visitor at the moment, sat on the pylons before stooping down to miss a Lapwing, miss a Coot but eventually took a probable Teal (right when yours truly was on his lunch break - damn!). 43 species from the Wildlife Cente, several probably missed with the contant rush of visitors.

Also during the day a Black-necked Grebe was reported at the Sheepwash, I picked up a 3rd winter Yellow-legged Gull there in the last light of day (video - dark) and at least 500 Jackdaw, perhaps many many more, flew in to Hall Wood.

re: the Howden Gannet. Could it have been the same juvenile that turned up later at Carsington, Carr Vale a couple of days after that and was eventually taken in to care in Mansfield on the 15th?

Now, cue the world's worst record shot (the RNG) which strangely features just enough diagnostic information to figure out - size, shape, thick dusky neck, pale cheeks. This was the girlfriend's effort on our dingiest scope since I was busy using the best ones to make sure everybody got to see it.

Not sure whats happened to the Howden Gannet since it was taken into care up there....I doubt it is the same bird as the ones you mention, as I shouldn't think they would release it back in Derbys? Surely you would take it to the coast if it survived?

Whats happening with these grebes then? Black necked and Slavonian reported today (Sunday) at Carsi? Now I've spoken to someone who saw the Slav but couldn't see any of the others....any more info anyone?

Ogston tonight produced 1 adult Yellow-legged Gull in the roost along with a small roost of LBB's but no sign of last nights probable Baltic Gull. Quite a small roost still.
Apparantly there were a few YLGulls at Carsi tonight too.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back