• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Had an afternoon at Carsington this today, excellent with 7 female Common Scoters from Paul Stanley hide, 3 GN Divers (one mid res and two up near Stones Island) and the adult Ring billed Gull from PSHide and Sheepwash. Plus the usual other suspects!

Cheers

Nice one Gomphus, I only had the 2 GND's this morning, plus the Scoters and a Goosander.Then went on to Beeley moor, where one SEO was still present around the triangle at 15:15hr, and quite a few Bramblings amongst Chaffinches on Screetham Lane.

piggy back

Hi all

Just joining this thread partly out of curiosity as I'm from Chesterfield but also to glean information ready for my impending Christmas visit.

All the best to you all

Hi all

Just joining this thread partly out of curiosity as I'm from Chesterfield but also to glean information ready for my impending Christmas visit.

All the best to you all

Welcome Stephen..........I tell you what, we will do you a quick tour if you return the favour in the Spring ;)

Welcome Stephen..........I tell you what, we will do you a quick tour if you return the favour in the Spring ;)

:-O:-O

Hi Stephen, welcome, but must admit I'd much rather be in your neck of the woods than the windswept environs of Derbyshire on this dull and rainy day!

Clive, I hear the GGShrike is still on Beeley too, but mobile, but glad to hear there's still an SEO as Roger hadn't heard anything yesterday, might try to head up there.

I reckon that RBGull is going to be fun again this year, was maddening yesterday. Richard Lowe picked it up from PSHide opposite Sheepwash so we all headed round only to just get on it as it flew to Flat island, would have given excellent views from PSHide.... just couldn't be bothered to yomp back round. Never seen it at really close range since the first year it arrived and I saw it standing on the bank in front of PSHide one sunny afternoon, and no camera... still I live in hope:-O

That drake Goosander is the first of the autumn at Carsington according to Roger, unless anyone knows better??? Apparently they are in short supply this year.....

cheers

trip trade

we will do you a quick tour if you return the favour in the Spring ;)

Well the way they tell us the world economy is going, trip trades may be the only way forward for me! Can't say I've seen any sign of it yet though.

In all seriousness I'm always happy to share a little information if anyone's ever out this way. I suppose only fair as I hope to glean some from you guys.

For instance, does any one know anything of a 'twite feeding station' in the peak district that I heard of recently?

And any Waxwing in the Chesterfield area at the moment (to pass it on to my brother)?

I do pop into the hide at Ogston every now and then so I hope to meet one or two of you, if not there, then out and about. Looking forward very much to checking out what's happening when I get over for 10 days around Christmas.

Until then I guess I'll have to make do with my local Wallcreeper and the odd trip out for Great Bustards and Lammergeiers! Joking aside I actually love birding in the UK and can't wait to get back.

All the best

I'm heading to Carsington tomorrow, ideally to see the GND's, scoters, and Ring-Billed Gull all pleasantly swimming along in front of the first hide I come to!

I'll let you Derbyshire lot know how I get on. You might even see me there, squinting into my Opticron iMagics!!!

I'm heading to Carsington tomorrow, ideally to see the GND's, scoters, and Ring-Billed Gull all pleasantly swimming along in front of the first hide I come to!

I'll let you Derbyshire lot know how I get on. You might even see me there, squinting into my Opticron iMagics!!!

Try the area round Stones Island for the divers,the Scoters favour the area between Sheepwash and Paul Stanley hides. As for the RB Gull,you will probably need to stay until dusk. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice-those areas happily tie in with where I usually end up, so I might have quite a good chance of seeing the divers/scoters.

Well the way they tell us the world economy is going, trip trades may be the only way forward for me! Can't say I've seen any sign of it yet though.

In all seriousness I'm always happy to share a little information if anyone's ever out this way. I suppose only fair as I hope to glean some from you guys.

For instance, does any one know anything of a 'twite feeding station' in the peak district that I heard of recently?

And any Waxwing in the Chesterfield area at the moment (to pass it on to my brother)?

I do pop into the hide at Ogston every now and then so I hope to meet one or two of you, if not there, then out and about. Looking forward very much to checking out what's happening when I get over for 10 days around Christmas.

Until then I guess I'll have to make do with my local Wallcreeper and the odd trip out for Great Bustards and Lammergeiers! Joking aside I actually love birding in the UK and can't wait to get back.

All the best

Sadly the Twite Feeding station is in West Yorkshire at Deer Hill Reservoir, in Ne corner SE 070.115. Never been but got this off pager a while back.
Will post Waxie's if I hear of any settled anywhere...just had pager message that there's one at Carsington VCenter (not holdng my breath that it stays long, hence I'm behind the Mac not at the Res!), plus the 3 GND's and the RBG present this AM (Gull a real surprise in the morning!).

twite feeding station

Sadly the Twite Feeding station is in West Yorkshire at Deer Hill Reservoir, in Ne corner SE 070.115. Never been but got this off pager a while back.
Will post Waxie's if I hear of any settled anywhere..

Gimphus much appreciated and will look forward to updates if any. I've saved your web address to have a look at your site later.

Cheers

Will post Waxie's if I hear of any settled anywhere...just had pager message that there's one at Carsington VCenter (not holdng my breath that it stays long, hence I'm behind the Mac not at the Res!), plus the 3 GND's and the RBG present this AM (Gull a real surprise in the morning!).

Anyone any idea if the Waxwing, hung around at the res?(might get up tomorrow) As you say, a surprise the RBG was about in the morning.Never have caught up with that Shrike up Beeley, by the way.

Try the area round Stones Island for the divers,the Scoters favour the area between Sheepwash and Paul Stanley hides. As for the RB Gull,you will probably need to stay until dusk. Best of luck.

Got down to Carsington for a quick birding session yesterday afternoon.

Went first to the Sheepwash hide, but sadly with only my bins the little blobby black ducks in the distance remained little blobby black ducks, so my scoter quest was not successful unfortunately. Cracking views of wigeon and pochard though. I felt very envious of the chap that came in just before I left with a Leica 77!!!

Later went for a long, cold, wet, demoralising, goose sh*t-covered walk around Stones Island, only to have a heart attack over something that was probably a juvenile Cormorant. Happily, then a Great Northern Diver popped up about ten metres away from where I was standing later, and I had even better views of it, somewhat ironically, from the cafe.

Got down to Carsington for a quick birding session yesterday afternoon.

Went first to the Sheepwash hide, but sadly with only my bins the little blobby black ducks in the distance remained little blobby black ducks, so my scoter quest was not successful unfortunately. Cracking views of wigeon and pochard though. I felt very envious of the chap that came in just before I left with a Leica 77!!!

Later went for a long, cold, wet, demoralising, goose sh*t-covered walk around Stones Island, only to have a heart attack over something that was probably a juvenile Cormorant. Happily, then a Great Northern Diver popped up about ten metres away from where I was standing later, and I had even better views of it, somewhat ironically, from the cafe.

Glad you got a GNDiver.... the CScoter females seemed to like the far side of the res under the bank opposite PSHide. They would have been very difficult with just bins, pity no-one else was in the hide, we are, on the whole, a friendly bunch up there and some one would holefully let you look through their 'scope!:t:

No idea what happened with the Waxie.... but I hear a female Scaup was seen near Big island by the Wildfowl counter and BirdClub Chair .... good record, but I must any caution visitors looking for this bird there are several very Scaup like Tufted females on the reservoir!

All the Best

Last edited:
Anyone any idea if the Waxwing, hung around at the res?(might get up tomorrow) As you say, a surprise the RBG was about in the morning.Never have caught up with that Shrike up Beeley, by the way.

From the CBC sightings page:

"Waxwing found approx 10.15am in tree behind visotr centre, adj to Snugbury's Ice cream trailer."

Which is just typical isn't it? Bad luck you guys suffering out there in the hides!

Interesting to also read there about a faeroeensis Snipe. Better get my nose in a book and educate myself about that one.

Weather looks good tomorrow, so I might touch down to get in some ABB time in.

Incidentally my mum thought she saw some Waxwings by the carpark up from Sheepwash Hide, so it might be worth a look for those lucky enough to be going birding! That is, if you trust that they weren't just blackies or somesuch...

Apparently the GG Shrike was on Leash Fen yesterday, I can see this is going to lead some of us a merry dance this winter!

faeroeensis Snipe they are more rufous birds. Difficult to separate at times though as the variation in Snipe seems to be great, a good spot by SM. Now, any one for Wilson's...... THAT would be fun, its a nightmare, even if you can see the underwing!!! Personally though, I'd settle for Jack Snipe as its one of the daft ones missing from my Carsi list........:-O:-O

Apparently the GG Shrike was on Leash Fen yesterday, I can see this is going to lead some of us a merry dance this winter!

Finally caught up with the Shrike at LF today,showed quite close to the road for a while, then somehow managed to give us the slip before appearing again on some distant Birch stumps.

Weather was too nice at Carsington today, still had one GND fishing close in around Stones Island. Dipped on the RBG, although somebody in Paul Stanley picked out a Caspian type Gull... with a pale eye, so confusion there, probably YL, it did look funny.

Goldeneye and Goosanders beginning to pop up around the place now.

Clive glad you caught up with Shrike!

James, pale eye does not rule out Caspo.... some good percentage show pale irides, but usually not as pale as YLG..... still think we have to learn more about them tho'! You do need all the ID feature to 100% nail one. Plus of course hybrids do occur......

By the way had an odd phone message from a mate this am, he's been abroad and on his return was told there is a rare bird in South Derbys somewhere....... anyone?????? Will see if I can learn more! Unless its our RBG of course, or Waxwings.....

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back