• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

WTF!!?? I am presuming that is yet another mistake from BG. 4 Purple Sandpipers at Newhaven. This is the message. 'Four at Tide Mills on east arm at high tide'. That's one hell of a high tide to have reached Derbyshire. I feel for the people living in between who must be swamped with water. I'm gonna put Sky News on to see what they are saying about it.

It's been rectified now, Phew!. Glossy Ibis at Ogston again this afternoon on the west bank from the members hide.

A male Stonechat down Wyver around the upper pool today is the first since March 4th 2012 and is the 122nd species of the year. A couple of Water Rails squealing around the top marsh area. Apart from a Raven it was as you were yesterday.

I actually thought it was quite funny regarding the Purple Sands. It originally said that there were 4 at Newhaven in Derbys. It was well over an hour before they realised it was supposed to be Newhaven in East Sussex.

Does anyone know if either of the glossy ibis (Bakewell and Lowdham) are escapees?

Hi Anna,

Not as far as I've heard - there has been a bit of a mini-influx of this species across the country in the last fortnight so the provenance is good. The Lowdham bird has been showing especially well, though as an immature male is slightly less 'Glossy' than an adult bird. Ogston has also had one recently.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Hi all,

Two of these Plastic Fantastics were at Markeaton Park today - is this an exotic (if of course an escapee) species or if a hybrid what do people suggest?

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• Goose - Copy.jpg
    Goose - Copy.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 78
Last one I saw was on the bunkers just north of Spurn but this is far closer and much more convenient! Should be a gathering tomorrow. The Notts lads are getting an early night as we speak!
Just goes to show anything can turn up, even locally.

Mr Brown has just had 8 Whooper Swans over Derby Bus Station. They were actually due over at 10.25 but they were running late.

Pied Wheatear across the border in Notts.
Where's ours??!

Don't be greedy Dan we've just had GI, saying that I dream of finding a decent Wheatear (sp) to test Glyn's I/D skills sic UAE (but I don't find em easy). My lad (who lives on the dark side) has seen both the Ibis & Wheatear today whilst taking my grandaughter back to Lincoln Uni :t: Ro

Last one I saw was on the bunkers just north of Spurn but this is far closer and much more convenient! Should be a gathering tomorrow. The Notts lads are getting an early night as we speak!
Just goes to show anything can turn up, even locally.

How long ago was that one Dan? I remember seeing one there too years ago, those bunkers/and Loo Block etc I saw it on are in the sea now I think:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Steph'

Does anyone know if either of the glossy ibis (Bakewell and Lowdham) are escapees?

RE Glossy Ibis....

Info for Anna on the ibis, tvmr birder (Matt) is right, for some reason over the last few years Glossy Ibis have begun to disperse north to the UK in small numbers from the breeding grounds. They have been carrying rings to prove it. See here for info on one http://www.northwalesbirding.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35158 that one turned up same time as the Pembroke flock of 23 I think.... and here for other info on ones in 2009 http://btoringing.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/glossy-ibis-influx.html

I'm suprised that its taken Derbys so long to get a twichable one in fact.

Looks like Glossy Ibis will be a permanent fixture over here in autumn (at least;)) if the trend continues.....

To be honest I'd be amazed if either of these were anything other than wild.. in fact it never crossed my mind that they would be anything else. What did cross my mind though was the extremely remote possibility of White-eyed Ibis after the westerly gales... and the headache/impossibility of any attempt to ID it :-O:-O:-O Bad enough in the states....

Steph'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back