• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Differences between HG and HG L (1 Viewer)

turkish van

Number 1 celebrity badger
Can anyone tell me what they think are the differences between these two models? We looked through the HG L yesterday and were very impressed, but can't find any HGs to look at. Just wondering if anyone thinks there is much of a difference in optical quality.

Thanks,

turkish van said:
Can anyone tell me what they think are the differences between these two models? We looked through the HG L yesterday and were very impressed, but can't find any HGs to look at. Just wondering if anyone thinks there is much of a difference in optical quality.

Thanks,

As far as I know the only difference is the metal used in construction. The 'L' in HG L, stands for lightweight.

There is no difference in optical quality between the two. The weight problen really only applied to the 10 and 8 x42's...theyw were sooooo heavy. The 8X 32 HG's are superb and light enough for anyone.

So all in all...if you have looked thru a pair of HGL's, you have looked thru the HG's...cos they are the same optically.

Hope this makes sense!

John.

Last edited:
john barclay said:
As far as I know the only difference is the metal used in construction. The 'L' in HG L, stands for lightweight.

There is no difference in optical quality between the two. The weight problen really only applied to the 10 and 8 x42's...theyw were sooooo heavy. The 8X 32 HG's are superb and light enough for anyone.

So all in all...if you have looked thru a pair of HGL's, you have looked thru the HG's...cos they are the same optically.

Hope this makes sense!

John.

I think the manufacturing process is more environmentally friendly as they don't use lead or arsenic now. Optically speaking I think thay are the same as the HG.

Great binoculars!

I own the 8 x 42 HGL's and bought my wife the 8 x 32 HG. As mentioned the 8 x 32 are stunning and every bit as good as the 42's in all but the poorest light. I actually prefer using the 32's.

We were fortunate to test both the 8 x 32 HG & HGL's at one venue and to us were optically identical.(Wharehouse Express still selling them very cheaply)

Stewart

I also managed to test both HG and HGL's and found no difference. Now have a pair of 8x32 HG's and am very impressed. There are still plenty of them to be had. Got mine from Warehouse Express for £379. I believe there was a pair being advertised for sale in the classified section of BF for £300.

I'm another one who has tried HGs and HGLs side by side and cannot see any optical improvements - I do know of an HG user who has tried the HGLs but found them hard to hold steady due to the reduced weight and thus did not get as good a view.

Personally I don't like the 8x42 HG (or HGL) just something about the way it feels in the hand. The 8x32 however feels great in the hand, and you really cannot argue with the quality of the optics. The current offer on HGs on warehouse has to make them the best vaue optics currently available - there's even a pair of 10x32s on there mail order return for just £299, an absolute bargain.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back