• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping camera choices (1 Viewer)

hoffjoey

I purchased a Celestron Regal 80F ED in the early part of this year. Since then I have had two eye operations and now on the mend from the second operation. Will be able to use spotting scope in about a month. I have read good things about Nikon Coolpix P310. Would this be a good choice for a novice digiscoper. I have a Nikon D3100, but would like something lighter and smaller. I'am 74, with Parkinson and joint problems. All suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
hoffoey Illinois USA

I purchased a Celestron Regal 80F ED in the early part of this year. Since then I have had two eye operations and now on the mend from the second operation. Will be able to use spotting scope in about a month. I have read good things about Nikon Coolpix P310. Would this be a good choice for a novice digiscoper. I have a Nikon D3100, but would like something lighter and smaller. I'am 74, with Parkinson and joint problems. All suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
hoffoey Illinois USA

The Nikon P 310/330 are easy to use and good value for money. Bright and sharp LCD and the AF is very fast and accurate. Will work with all eyepieces.
Neil

Digiscoping Camera Choices

The Nikon P 310/330 are easy to use and good value for money. Bright and sharp LCD and the AF is very fast and accurate. Will work with all eyepieces.
Neil

Thanks Neil. Is there any particular adaptor that will work well with my setup? Is the P330 worth the extra money?

Thanks again

Joe H.

PS-100 Adaptor

Joe
This is the sort of adapter that will match with Celestron adapter for your eyepiece http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...t-for-razor-and-viper-digital-camera-adapters
If you need Raw then the P330 is worth it. Otherwise the P310 is the same for digiscoping purposes.

Appreciate your help Neil. This adaptor (PS-100) screws into the eyepiece, what else would I have to buy to make it work. The Regal 80 spec. sheet did not tell me what the mm was of the eyepiece. I do need that right? I will order the P310, you made the choice easy with your explanation.

Joe H. Illinois

Appreciate your help Neil. This adaptor (PS-100) screws into the eyepiece, what else would I have to buy to make it work. The Regal 80 spec. sheet did not tell me what the mm was of the eyepiece. I do need that right? I will order the P310, you made the choice easy with your explanation.

Joe H. Illinois

I don't know if the celestron eyepieces have a thread. The PS100 comes in two sizes - 37 mm and 52 mm. You can get step-up and step-down converters. Check other threads in this forum and have a look on the Celestron site.
Neil

Ps100 Adaptor

I don't know if the celestron eyepieces have a thread. The PS100 comes in two sizes - 37 mm and 52 mm. You can get step-up and step-down converters. Check other threads in this forum and have a look on the Celestron site.
Neil

I will do that. How it attaches to the spotting scope is still confusing to me. If there are no threads how will it attach to the scope?Thank you Neil.

Joe H. Illinois

Last edited:
I will do that. How it attaches to the spotting scope is still confusing to me. If there are no threads how will it attach to the scope?Thank you Neil.

Joe H. Illinois

Joe,
This is one type of universal adapter that you can find from many sources
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-digital-camera-adapter-universal.html . This is all you would need with a small digicam.
Televue have a range of adapters including this which gives you a thread to attach a PS 100 to.
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=73
Celestron may have something similar.
Neil

Ps-100 Adapter

Joe,
This is one type of universal adapter that you can find from many sources
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-digital-camera-adapter-universal.html . This is all you would need with a small digicam.
Televue have a range of adapters including this which gives you a thread to attach a PS 100 to.
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=73
Celestron may have something similar.
Neil

Neil you have been so helpful. But I feel like a idiot, I was reminded that I had ordered a adapter before my eye operations which I had forgot about. It is Baader Planetarium MICROSTAGE II Digiscoping Adapter # 2450330. I looked at the instructiions and it looks like it will work. Are you familar with this adapter? I will be released from the eye Dr. in the middle of November and hopefully be ready to have at my digiscoping adventure. You have really helped me Neil thank you so much.

Joe H. Illinois

Neil you have been so helpful. But I feel like a idiot, I was reminded that I had ordered a adapter before my eye operations which I had forgot about. It is Baader Planetarium MICROSTAGE II Digiscoping Adapter # 2450330. I looked at the instructiions and it looks like it will work. Are you familar with this adapter? I will be released from the eye Dr. in the middle of November and hopefully be ready to have at my digiscoping adventure. You have really helped me Neil thank you so much.

Joe H. Illinois

Joe,
I have used similar type adapters that were designed to clamp onto telescope eyepieces and they work ok. It works in a similar fashion to the Swarovski DCB 11.
You will need to carry a dark cloth to drape over it to prevent any stray light hitting the front of the lens. I do for the DCB 11 adapter as well.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Neil.

Digiscoping Camera Choices

Joe,
I have used similar type adapters that were designed to clamp onto telescope eyepieces and they work ok. It works in a similar fashion to the Swarovski DCB 11.
You will need to carry a dark cloth to drape over it to prevent any stray light hitting the front of the lens. I do for the DCB 11 adapter as well.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Neil.

Neil, I ordered the P310 and wonder which memory card would work best for this camera?
thank you

Joe H. Illinois

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back