• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

Mark, I have exactly the same set-up as you. If I remember correctly, the outer sleeve of the DA10 has an M61x0.75 thread. I got a 40.5-61mm connecting ring from SRB-Griturn, custom-made for £40 plus postage. They're very easy to deal with and knew exactly what I was on about when I asked for a quote.

Another option is to get a Kowa AR58 ring and use it with a 40.5-58mm step ring. I tried this method whilst I was waiting for the ring from SRB-Griturn and can confirm that it works fine.

David

Dave,

I am not clear about it.
I have Kowa 883 and DA-10. I am thinking about buying V1. I understand that I need AR58 and a step ring 40.5 -58mm. What is this step ring and what is it for? Can you send a picture how to mount V1 to DA10?.
Does V1 have a thread 40.5mm? Where I can get the step ring you mentioned?
I can get V1 with 18mm and 10-30mm. Is 18mm also good for digiscoping?

Regards,
Mariusz

Dave,

I am not clear about it.
I have Kowa 883 and DA-10. I am thinking about buying V1. I understand that I need AR58 and a step ring 40.5 -58mm. What is this step ring and what is it for? Can you send a picture how to mount V1 to DA10?.
Does V1 have a thread 40.5mm? Where I can get the step ring you mentioned?
I can get V1 with 18mm and 10-30mm. Is 18mm also good for digiscoping?

Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz
The 40.5/58 adapter screws into the front of the lens and then you screw it onto the DA10 You should be able to get a 52 mm thread for the DA10 too.
Neil

Hi again, OK I'm confused now! I thought the thread on the DA 10 was 61mm!!?? Neil,are you saying you can screw the 40.5 to 58 step up ring directly into the DA10? Thanks. Mark.

Last edited:
Hi again, OK I'm confused now! I thought the thread on the DA 10 was 61mm!!?? Neil,are you saying you can screw the 40.5 to 58 step up ring directly into the DA10? Thanks. Mark.

Mark
The DA series of adapters come with various threads
http://www.acecameras.co.uk/optics/digiscoping/kowa-adapter-rings-for-da1-da10-adapters
So you can choose the appropriate one for your application. I like to standardise on 52 mm , so I have 52 mm rings on all my Kowa adapters as well as the VA3 ( video eyepiece ). And I have 40.5/52 mm adapters on all my Nikon V1/V2 lenses. I do have 58 mm rings too as some Canon adapters eg G12 and G1X are 58mm.
Neil

Thanks Neil,one last question! people mention the AR58 ring with this lens/scope combination,you say you standardise with a 52mm , so my question is which is better,or does it not make any difference in the real world?
many thanks again!

Mark

Last edited:
Mariusz, Mark,

Just for clarification, the Kowa DA10 outer sleeve thread is 61mm or thereabouts. 61mm step rings are hard to find, so you're forced into either buying one of Kowa's AR rings or having one custom made by, for example, SRB Griturn (see above).

The filter thread on the Nikon 11-27.5mm and 10-30mm lenses is 40.5mm. Unfortunately, Kowa don't make an AR40.5 ring, and so the options are to either have one custom made as described above, or buy a larger Kowa AR ring and use that in conjunction with a step ring to get to the required 40.5mm.

An advantage to using a Kowa AR58 in this way, rather than, say, an AR52, is that the AR58 is wide enough to become a mere extension of the DA10 outer sleeve and thereby allow close placement of the lens to the eyepiece. Conversely, if you used an AR52 along with a 40.5-52mm step ring you might find that the presence of the AR52 would prevent the lens being able to get close enough to the eyepiece, ie by not being wide enough to slip over the inner sleeve of the DA10.

Re. the 18.5mm lens: I haven't got it but I believe it has a 40.5mm thread as well, and is suitable for digiscoping. I read that it's Neil's current favourite lens for digiscoping with the V1 and V2.

Another thing to consider with the zoom lenses on an angled scope is zoom creep. To prevent this, I use a bit of plastic cut from an old pill bottle which fits around the inner barrel of the lens when extended. Others use elastic bands for the same purpose.

Hope this all makes sense. It's not as complicated as it might sound.

David

Last edited:
Mariusz, see the post above. I haven't got another camera with me to take a photo of my set-up, but basically it goes:

V1 to 11-27.5mm to 40.5-58mm step ring to Kowa AR58 to Kowa DA10 outer sleeve.*

I don't really use the V1 for much else other than digiscoping, which means I just tend to leave it connected up like this when not in use.

* OR: V1 to 11-27.5mm to SRB Griturn ring to DA10 outer sleeve. It works the same in practice.

David

PS. I got the 40.5-58mm step ring cheaply via eBay.

Last edited:
I also have the Kowa TSN-880 (straight version), the 25-60 WA eyepiece and the DA 10. I am heavily involved in Nikon gear and was also contemplating a Nikon I series camera for digiscoping with my Kowa. I am currently paralyzed by the possibility of the release of a V3. I was wondering if I got the V1 or V3 and a FT-1 adapter to use the Nikon I with my other lenses, which set-up is going to give me the best possible images from an IQ standpoint? The FT-1 and a full frame lens attached to the DA10 (if so which lens would be recommended) or the Nikon 1 series camera with one of its zoom or fixed focal length lenses (and if so which one is recommended)? Thanks for any and all advice.

Neil,

so Kowa 883 25-60x, needs DA10, AR58 and a step ring 58-40.5. But then there is a gap (two rings) between zoom and a lens. Can we avoid vignetting in that case? When vignetting disappear fo 18.5mm and 10-30mm lenses? Is 18mm lens better than 10-30mm lens?
Now I have coolpix 8400. Is V1 better for digiscoping?

Regards,
Mariusz

David,having used both the single griturn and the two step up rings which is better,any vignetting issues using the AR58 plus 40.5-58 as opposed to the single step up?Many thanks again. Mark

Mark, they're pretty much the same really, because the AR58 is wide enough to slip over the inner sleeve of the DA10 and hence doesn't have any effect on how close you can place the lens to the eyepiece.

Whichever way, the 11-27.5mm still needs to be zoomed in a bit to get rid of vignetting with the 25-60x ep. How much it needs depends on the zoom level of the ep, but at full zoom on the lens there's no vignetting throughout the zoom range of the ep.

David

I still do not understand how DA10, AR598, ring 58-40.5 works together.
When 10-30mm lens zoom in or out, it goes forward and backward. AR58 + step ring leave 4mm space for lens to go back and forth. Or the step ring is much longer than 2mm. Does anybody have a picture of this ring or link to see it?
Does 18.5mm give vignetting?

Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz, the DA10 is connected, via the ring(s), to the lens filter thread, so when it's all connected up to the scope it's the camera body that moves backwards and forwards as you zoom. The front element of the lens remains in the same place.

Some people question the safety of hanging a camera off the back of a scope by its filter threads, suggesting it might damage the lens or camera in the long term. They're probably right, but I use it all the time like this and haven't had any problems so far.

David

Last edited:
Having recently got a Nikon V1 thought I would post how I have sorted an adaptor to fit it to my leica apo77 20-60x zoom seen as most other people tend to use the Swarovski DCA etc

Start by buying a threaded sleeve from SRB grinturn for the right size of your scope (57mm for mine) order it with a 37mm insert

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/digiscoping-threaded-sleeves-793-c.asp

Then to attach it to the V1 you'll need a 40.5mm to 37mm step down ring, put these two together and you have an adaptor that's very simple to use and a lot cheaper than the Nikon options!

Will post a few pics on my blog later to illustrate this

See my above post for explanation on how I connect the V1 to the Leica, have attached some pics now

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 272
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 234
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back