• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dinemell's White-headed Weaver or Dinómali Weaver … ? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Dinemelli's White-headed Buffalo-Weaver or a Dinómali Buffalo-Weaver … ?

Not one of "my guys", nor an "Eponym" I necessarily have to check, but who can resist the following phrase in today's HBW Alive Key
dinemelli
Dinemelli (fl. 1840) a collector in Abyssinia, about whom nothing else is known (Dinemellia).
…not an Etymology nerd like myself anyway! ;)

So here goes:
● the White-headed Buffalo-Weaver Dinemellia dinemelli RÜPPELL 1845 (here) as "Textor Dinemelli" [Note: Rüppell used Horsfield's (unpublished) MS name] or as "Textor dinemelli" (on the Plate, here)

● the Generic name Dinemellia REICHENBACH 1863 (here)

There´s a third Richmond card (here), that refer to this plate and text (here)

But still no explanation what so ever!

Also see the following links; here: "… was known to science by Major Harris, who obtained it in Shoa, Abyssinia, …" [today's Shewa, central Ethiopia] or a better summary of the whole Rüppell/Harris issue, here.

As I haven´t seen any trace of any collector named Dinemelli or something similar (not in Abyssinia, nor elsewhere) and I have no idea what that claim originates from, but … as Major Harris secured the type specimens in Shoa, Abyssinia, then forwarding them to Thomas Horsfield, Curator of the East India Company Museum in London ... maybe it´s not an Enonym at all? But instead a Toponym!?

Could it be as simple as: Dinómali, the frontier Station of Argóbba, (next to Shoa) in the Highlands of Ethiopia … ?

A place visited by Major Harris during the Abyssinian/Ethiopian expedition when the type specimens was collected. Disclaimer: This said with no other proof than this, without any apparent link, or a phrase beyond doubt, connecting this Buffalo-Weaver to this certain Station.

The words of Harris himself, is found; here, here or here.

In any case: How does this work with the fact that this species also have been called "Dinemell's Weaver" or "Dinemel's Weaver" alt. "Dinemell's White-headed Weaver" (or in French "Tisserin de Dinnemell"). Or are all those name, unfortunate, later misinterpretations of what at first seemed to be an obvious Eponym? They might be. Or?

Anyone seen any trace of any collector, anywhere, named either way?

However; it´s just an idea. Take it for what it´s worth!

Cheers

Björn

PS. Later a k a D. dienemelli
---

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, Mark!
HDM56 Dinomali------------------------------------ 09/39 [Ha]
An open plain and a frontier station of Argobba, where a 10% import duty was levied from caravans going to Shewa. When the British diplomatic mission, led by Captain Harris, arrived there in July 1841 they met the Rev. Dr. Krapf who became their excellent interpreter. The customs were not allowed to open the British baggage. When the king's bodyguard of 300 matchlockmen under Ato Katama arrived, the conditions changed radically, and the British were liberally supplied with provisions.[W C Harris, vol I, 1844 p 321-324]
East of Ankober, recorded by the Harris expedition. Lieutenant William Barker (using the spelling Denehmelli) passed there in the second half of January 1842. He was headed towards Harar but did not succeed to reach that town. [R Burton, First footsteps .., (1894)1987 appendix V p 224]
Either way; Dinómali (Harris's own spelling), or Dinomali as above, alt. Denehmelli (as by Liet. Barker), they all makes my suggestion even stronger. :t:

And great job to you as well, Mark, finding that somewhat confirming quote!
--

Last edited:
Excellent detecting, Björn and Mark. Everybody, but everybody, assumed that dinemelli was an eponym, and considered no other avenue, but your investigations have revealed the true etymology after all these years! It is little nuggets like this that make BirdForum so worth-while. When you are next in East Sussex remind me to buy you a pint or two of Harvey's Best Bitter!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back