• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappearing Rookery (2 Viewers)

Hi all,

There is a rookery near my house (rural area, mostly dairy farming with a few sheep) which has been there since I have lived here but yesterday I noticed when walking by that it was very quiet and when I looked into the tree there wasn't a single nest in it, when before there had been loads. Would a dairy farmer get rid of them all and, if so, why? Or could it just be that the recent storms have obliterated them all - seems weird that every single one of them would be destroyed though.

This morning, the rooks are all there in the now nest-less tree so at least they haven't all disappeared too.

Thanks,

TM

Welcome TM!
There was a thread on this subject which had lots of theories and possible explanations :

Welcome TM!
There was a thread on this subject which had lots of theories and possible explanations :
That's really interesting, thanks Richard. I'll go for a walk later and see if I can see another tree they might have moved it all to as it seems from that thread they do that sometimes. Seems incredibly odd but I'm sure I would have noticed if it was something more sinister. The tree is only about 300m from my house and I have no neighbours for half a mile in any direction so I'm sure I would have heard something if somebody was removing the nests. I can't see any reason the farmer would want rid of them - the gulls in the fields far outweigh the rooks.

Hopefully they've just decided to relocate, although I'm still quite sad as I really enjoyed seeing them all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back