• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you own a CL Curio 7x21? Must have accessories (1 Viewer)

z123

United Kingdom
If you are the lucky owner of one of these binos, here are a couple of accessories that address minor gripes I had with the otherwise excellent product from Swarovski. Of course these accessories will not improve the already great technical specs of the Curios, but they would make the day-to-day use even better.

Gripe 1: Eyecup cover. The provided rain cover fits very well and provides good protection, but it can only be used while the Curio are fully folded. Member @pm42 designed a fantastic alternative that fits perfectly regardless if the binos are “open” or “closed”. Better rainguard for the CL Curio

Gripe 2: No objective caps provided. Swarovski does not include objective caps for the Curio, however the Opticron Rubber Objective Lens Cover 25mm fits perfectly, proving great protection to the objective lenses https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-prod...1-rubber-objective-lens-covers-25mm-og-s-pair

Consider the above accessories as “icing on the cake” to make a really good product even better.

Last edited:
Thank you! I hate the Swaro eyecups, I’ll give a try. I’m ok without objective covers, they are either pointing down, in my pocket or in the case. I seem to always forget to take them off and try to look through them, hate that.

I have CL Curio at home for trying a few days, and consider to buy them.

PROS: super sharp and high contrast image. Sufficient eye relief for eyeglasses.
Very compact(which is not only an advantage as I mention below).
3mm exit pupil makes a noticeable improvement of clarity in dim conditions compared to 2,5mm of the common 8x20 size. Also easier eye placement.
The difference between 2,5 and 3mm does not seem big on paper but definitely is there in practise with 44% higher brightness.

CONS: partly slippery plastic surface. Double hings, at least for my taste it's a drawback.
The compactness makes such binoculars too small in the hands and the price to pay is bad hold comfortability.

The problem with slippery surface is easily solved, though.
GEAR GRIPZ self adeshive tape is easy to cut out to fit, and I have it since earlier.

20230917_155841.jpg

Last edited:
Gripe 1: Eyecup cover. The provided rain cover fits very well and provides good protection, but it can only be used while the Curio are fully folded.
A possibly simpler atlernative is to purchase the 8x25 CL ocular cover. Another member here reported it works well with the Curio.

A possibly simpler atlernative is to purchase the 8x25 CL ocular cover. Another member here reported it works well with the Curio.
Actually I also have the 8x25 CL ocular cover, but it is a bit big and tends to fall off. The one @pm42 designed fits a lot better. Comparing both side by side it is a no-brainier.

If you are the lucky owner of one of these binos, here are a couple of accessories that address minor gripes I had with the otherwise excellent product from Swarovski. Of course these accessories will not improve the already great technical specs of the Curios, but they would make the day-to-day use even better.

Gripe 1: Eyecup cover. The provided rain cover fits very well and provides good protection, but it can only be used while the Curio are fully folded. Member @pm42 designed a fantastic alternative that fits perfectly regardless if the binos are “open” or “closed”. Better rainguard for the CL Curio

Gripe 2: No objective caps provided. Swarovski does not include objective caps for the Curio, however the Opticron Rubber Objective Lens Cover 25mm fits perfectly, proving great protection to the objective lenses https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-prod...1-rubber-objective-lens-covers-25mm-og-s-pair

Consider the above accessories as “icing on the cake” to make a really good product even better.
Just ordered the Objective lens covers, thanks for the heads up

Just ordered the Objective lens covers, thanks for the heads up
Does any one have any photos of these lens covers in place ? I don’t know if it’s me but they don’t fit very well in my opinion, the outer ring is too large for the barrel and the caps don’t stay in place

Attachments

• IMG_7553.jpeg
    IMG_7553.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7554.jpeg
    IMG_7554.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 53
Mine fit perfectly. When I pull them like you do, they space with the Curio is 1 or 2mm top.
Inside, their embossed code is 31085.

Attachments

• curio.jpg
    curio.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 34
Mine fit perfectly. When I pull them like you do, they space with the Curio is 1 or 2mm top.
Inside, their embossed code is 31085.
Hi Thanks for the reply, yes looking into it there are several item codes, unfortunately the original link is for a model which is slightly too large, I have contacted them to see if I can send them back, interestingly there is another post where item code 31086 is used

Putting item code 31085 it comes up with a rain cover

Attachments

• IMG_7560.jpeg
    IMG_7560.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 8
Hi Thanks for the reply, yes looking into it there are several item codes, unfortunately the original link is for a model which is slightly too large, I have contacted them to see if I can send them back, interestingly there is another post where item code 31086 is used

Hi. Apologies for mixup. The link I included is the one I took from the email confirmation I received. Also, as @pm42 mentioned, the embossed code inside is 31085. However, to make matters even more interesting, I logged into my Opticron account and noticed in the invoice they mention Product Code 31086. Bottom line, the correct one should be 31086. I will update the link in my post.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1574.jpeg
    IMG_1574.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Apologies for the mixup, the correct link to the objective covers is this (Product Code 31086): 31086 Rubber Objective Lens Covers 25mm OG XS Pair | Opticron

Indeed. I do not know why. Maybe their code changed but if z123 says that the correct is 31086, I guess it is.

I vaguely remember there was some confusion about which Opticron version/code objective covers to get back when the Curios first came out and the search for after market accessories began. I just double checked my objective covers and they are 31086. Fit perfectly.

Mike

That's the rain guard I use on several pockets including the Curio for strap or RYO harness carry. The advantage is when adjusted for my IP distance it stays on when moving but falls off on its own when raising the Curios to the eyes so no loss of time fiddling/popping it off. Nowhere near as sleek as PM42 's 3D version but when trimmed down it actually looks OK. Below is a pic of one trimmed and attached to my SW 8x20.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
I have mine on the original neckstrap. No covers, no nothing. Just chuck it into my rucksack or photo bag. That little thing with the double hinges is fiddly enough as it is without futzing around with (custom-made) covers etc. Very nice views though! Was going to swop it for a VP 8x25, but in the end decided not to.

Update from myself getting the wrong size lens covers, I can confirm the (31086) fits perfectly, so much so I have just ordered another pair as they fit the ocular lens perfectly too.
Unfortunately I am now finding my focus wheel is going tight every 180deg 🙄

Attachments

• IMG_7670.jpeg
    IMG_7670.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
Unfortunately I am now finding my focus wheel is going tight every 180deg 🙄
Wow - there's just too many of these sorts of failures to make me want to plunk down the money for these.

still can recommend this Hama case, which brings the curio even on faster hikes or runs with me, fits like a glove :)

Hama Case

81OWHfIy3UL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back