• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Docter Nobilem 8x56 B. The King of Twilight. (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I picked up a pair of Docter Nobilem 8x56 B porros on Astromart for $450. I have been looking for a pair of these big porros because they are one of the few 8x56 porro prism binoculars with a central focuser. I am thrilled to finally find one in good condition because they are very rare. Here are a few reviews on it and some pictures of it. It is the unarmored version, which is lighter than the GA or armored version. I am anxious to get it and try it out on a few birds!

a6154b717025a0097dd2c968d55141b4-img.jpgcb9c0e4798ae939f7356e90699902cca-img.jpg

Last edited:
Must be an early one as it’s lacking the Doctor label on the top of the bridge and the all encompassing green armour (has the characteristic odd tripod mount). Great minds think alike.. I literally picked up one myself yesterday. Narrower field than I’m used to, but very bright and sharp, lots of stars visible. What case do people use as Doctor didn’t seem to supply one? Also I need to design a widget to allow me to use a more conventional tripod adapter.. finding a Doctor was hard, finding one of their tripod adapters is likely impossible.

Peter

Must be an early one as it’s lacking the Doctor label on the top of the bridge and the all encompassing green armour (has the characteristic odd tripod mount). Great minds think alike.. I literally picked up one myself yesterday. Narrower field than I’m used to, but very bright and sharp, lots of stars visible. What case do people use as Doctor didn’t seem to supply one? Also I need to design a widget to allow me to use a more conventional tripod adapter.. finding a Doctor was hard, finding one of their tripod adapters is likely impossible.

Peter
Where did you find one? The 8x56's usually have a narrower FOV, but they are really bright. I use a Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50 case. That is the only one I had that was big enough.

We’re on “the Bay” in Europe. Very defined field edge, but sharp, and very bright. My comparison is the APM 10x50ED, similar to the Fujis.
Peter

I had the APM 10x50, and they are optically very close to the Fuji. The build quality isn't quite equal to the Fuji, but they are good enough. How are the Doctor's for glare? I would guess very good with a 7 mm EP.

There were a couple of those for sale from Germany on eBay a couple of weeks back.

This one could be a stern test though - do they have 100% transmission or are allbino's not to be believed...

Let us know how you get on with them and how they rank against the sig Zulu and linnet for birding - I like an obscure comparison.

Will

Need to wait for some sunshine to test, but can hardly get any false colour out of them. Could have transmission >100%… laser quality binos… sometimes we need asymmetric uncertainty bars….. not clever.

Peter

I like to try different binoculars and test them, and then sometimes I write a review on them. It doesn't mean I have to keep everything I try. I really enjoy trying different binoculars. If I kept everything I tried, I would have over 100 binoculars, probably. I guess in a way, I am kind of like a reviewer but I buy my own binoculars. I am not given them.
But then your the reviewer that changes his review after you sell them. There’s another name for that.
I personally appreciate it when somebody reviews a binocular because if it sounds good I might try that binocular, and I have found a lot of good binoculars by reading the reviews. I recently found the Sig Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 because somebody started a thread on them, and it has become one of my favorite binoculars.
But those reviewers don’t change their review after they send back. So which one of your opinions should a perspective buyer take from you, the one you did after you buy them or the one after you sell,them 😲.
I don't expect everybody to keep the binoculars they try or review, and I see a lot of binoculars in the classifieds that the owners were praising a short time ago, but it doesn't bother me because I understand sometimes your tastes and needs change and of course they are always coming out with newer binoculars that are improved over the older ones.

I would think you would appreciate it when somebody critics a binocular that has had as much experience as I have and had as many binoculars as I have had. I realize sometimes people read a review and don't agree with it because they don't like that binocular, or they like their binocular better, but that is to be expected.

Reviews just give you somebody else's opinion on that binocular, and in the end it is your personal preference that decides what binocular you will buy, not some reviewers opinion. and that is the way it should be, but reviews can guide you in the right direction.
Im sure in your first paragraph you state the opposite.

I picked up a pair of Docter Nobilem 8x56 B porros on Astromart for $450. I have been looking for a pair of these big porros because they are one of the few 8x56 porro prism binoculars with a central focuser. I am thrilled to finally find one in good condition because they are very rare. Here are a few reviews on it and some pictures of it. It is the unarmored version, which is lighter than the GA or armored version. I am anxious to get it and try it out on a few birds!

View attachment 1523625View attachment 1523626
Nice find, don’t sell it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back