• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Docter Nobilem 8x56 B. The King of Twilight. (1 Viewer)

The Nikon 7X35 is a nice small size glass with more ER than the Nikon 8X30 E. The APOV and the FOV (7X35) is less than the Nobilem, which opens up for a great open view. The Nikon makes me realize that in 7X, I much prefer a porro, really appreciate the new Nikon. The Nobilem is a beast, not something to go walking around with, and it has that Zeiss green hue.

A "binocular butterfly" is supposed to move from "flower" to "flower" in the hope of finding one with more "pollen", so no surprise there, but why would you buy a 40 oz bino when you have recently complained about a shoulder arthritis problem and said that heavy binos were a definite no no.
Lol, exactly.

Thanks, Dries. I agree with you more than anybody on Bird Forum, and I think it is because you and I know more than anybody on here about binoculars. :( I realize now I really like the big aperture porros. I am going to look for a pair of those Jena 8x50's. I don't care about the weight, the view is amazing. Where did you get yours?
That is so weird, because it’s coming from a guy who likes light binoculars (sold his 42’s) with a wide FOV with flat filed and perfect edges with fantastic transparency. To quote you, the NL 8x32 is the best birding binoculars in the world today. And just now your learning about vintage SWA bins , Idk, I used to think you knew a lot about binoculars, I’m not talking about the ones we know your going to be selling. I give up.

The Nikon 7X35 is a nice small size glass with more ER than the Nikon 8X30 E. The APOV and the FOV (7X35) is less than the Nobilem, which opens up for a great open view. The Nikon makes me realize that in 7X, I much prefer a porro, really appreciate the new Nikon. The Nobilem is a beast, not something to go walking around with, and it has that Zeiss green hue.
I am thinking a big 7x50 Nobilem or any big 7x50 central focusing porro would be nice also. I have those on my hit list also. How does a Nikon 7x35 compare to the Nikon E2 8x30? Are the edges about the same? I was using the Doctor's this morning and what is unusual about them is the transparency. I think they are one of the most transparent binoculars I have ever used. There doesn't seem to be any glass in them, or it is just like you moved 8x closer.

Last edited:
E II 8X30 wider FOV and has more distortion approaching the field stop than the narrower FOV of the 7X35E.
Dries. What do you think of these? It looks like the IPD cover seal is missing in the last photo, isn't it? I asked him, and he said they were mint, but I am skeptical.

There was not an IPD scale on the Octarem, just a piece of plastic, or light metal (aluminum) for a cover of the hinge plate) usually inserted with an adhesive. They drop out once in a while, not a big deal. Make the seller an offer if you wish. Poland has many nice samples of Jena glass.

I had all four of my porros the Nikon SE 8x32, Linet Imperial 7x35, Swift Audubon 804 8.5x44 and the Doctor Nobilem 8x56 B. out tonite at dusk. The Nikon, Linet and Swift performed about the same with the Swift being a little brighter, probably because of its bigger aperture, but in the fading light they were all starting to give it up and the view wasn't that impressive.

They were all getting dim and blurry, and then I pulled out the big Doctor Nobilem 8x56 B and I couldn't believe it it was like daylight again! It was like somebody turned on the lights. I could still see a lot of detail, and the view was impressive for as dark as it was getting. It was the only binocular that was actually brighter than I could see with my own eyes.

I can see why they call it the King of Twilight. Because it is. Even with the smaller FOV it is the best binocular of the four porros I have and gives you the most impressive view without a doubt. I guess aperture rules even with binoculars. There is nothing that performs quite like a 56 mm in daylight and low light.

Last edited:
It was the only binocular that was actually brighter than I could see with my own eyes.
How do you explain that? The EP, used by the eye, can never be larger than the eye pupil; therefore brightness can never be increased beyond what your own eyes can see.

Last edited:
There is a nice FL 8x56 for sale on Cloudy Nights Dennis from Sweden,, not a bad price either.
Congrats to Sweden, great win. I was rooting for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back