• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Docter Nobilem 8x56 B. The King of Twilight. (1 Viewer)

I received the Doctor Nobilem 8x56 B binoculars, and they were in great shape and I must say I am very impressed with them. Being an 8x56 and having high transmission, they are very bright, but the surprising thing is how good the contrast is. I have been comparing them to my Nikon SE 8x32 and once I use the Doctor's I almost hate to go back to the SE's. The SE seems flushed out or they are missing something.

The Doctor's are just more transparent, and they even seem sharper than the SE, and the SE is a sharp binocular. Going from the SE to the Doctor is almost like you lifted a film off the FOV. It is hard to describe. I guess having an aperture that is almost twice as big makes a difference in the quality of the view. The Doctor's are almost sharp right to the edge of the FOV also which surprised me for a porro, and they have an amazing 3D view. They even have more pronounced 3D, than the SE.

I see why an 8x56 is a good twilight binocular. These are actually brighter than your eyes, and you can see much more than unaided vision in low light. The focuser is central and very smooth, which makes these one of the few big aperture porros that have a central focuser. The Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50 are similar in performance to the Doctor's, but they have IF focusing, which makes them impractical for birding.

Even in the daytime, you notice the difference in a big aperture binocular like the Doctor because when you look into the shadows it is brighter than a smaller aperture. It seems like the FOV is more evenly illuminated. The CA control on these, like most porros is excellent even on the edge. These are big, heavy binoculars at 40 oz. and I don't think many birders would want to carry these hiking all the time, but the quality of the view is just amazing.

Aperture is very important even in birding binoculars because each increase in aperture brings an increase in the quality of the view. A 32 mm is better than a 30 mm, a 42 mm is better than a 32 mm, a 50 mm is better than a 42 mm and a 56 mm is better than a 50 mm.

Probably one of the best things about the Doctor's though is how well they handle glare because of the big 7 mm exit pupil. My Nikon SE 8x32 is very glare resistant, but the Doctor's are just over the top. Even when you look right near the sun, there is NO glare! Amazing! I guess it is because the glare passes the field stop of the binocular and never reaches your eyes.

These big aperture binoculars are addicting, and I can see why so many birders like a bigger aperture, but you pay a price when you start carrying them but for static use or if you are not hiking too far the view is hard to match with a smaller aperture.

Last edited:
Odd, mine are nice and sharp, colour free and bright, but I can definitely detect some sharpness roll off especially at the top and bottom of the field and at night bright stars can extend into little lines near the edges, something the APM 10x50 doesn’t do (though it has a flattener). Collimation appears to be bang on. Mine didn’t come with a strap, I was debating getting a Zeiss one as that’s where it’s DNA came from.!
Moderately 3D view, not like the APM where it looks like you have these obviously distance separated layers of reality – “overly real”. Maybe the larger depth of field is to blame?
Not sure I’d drag these out if there wasn’t a good change of needing their low light performance, there is a reason birders like 8x30 binoculars.
Thanks for the case recommendation, but I’m not sure how easy an FMT case would be to find! The Doctor appears a little longer and thicker on the specs.
I’ve just finished making a 3D printed tripod adapter to let the Doctor deliver rock steady views with conventional tripod adapters.

Peter

I received the Doctor Nobilem 8x56 B binoculars, and they were in great shape and I must say I am very impressed with them. Being an 8x56 and having high transmission, they are very bright, but the surprising thing is how good the contrast is. I have been comparing them to my Nikon SE 8x32 and once I use the Doctor's I almost hate to go back to the SE's. The SE seems flushed out or they are missing something.

The Doctor's are just more transparent, and they even seem sharper than the SE, and the SE is a sharp binocular. Going from the SE to the Doctor is almost like you lifted a film off the FOV. It is hard to describe. I guess having an aperture that is almost twice as big makes a difference in the quality of the view. The Doctor's are almost sharp right to the edge of the FOV also which surprised me for a porro, and they have an amazing 3D view. They even have more pronounced 3D, than the SE.

I see why an 8x56 is a good twilight binocular. These are actually brighter than your eyes, and you can see much more than unaided vision in low light. The focuser is central and very smooth, which makes these one of the few big aperture porros that have a central focuser. The Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50 are similar in performance to the Doctor's, but they have IF focusing, which makes them impractical for birding.

Even in the daytime, you notice the difference in a big aperture binocular like the Doctor because when you look into the shadows it is brighter than a smaller aperture. It seems like the FOV is more evenly illuminated. The CA control on these, like most porros is excellent even on the edge. These are big, heavy binoculars at 40 oz. and I don't think many birders would want to carry these hiking all the time, but the quality of the view is just amazing.

Aperture is very important even in birding binoculars because each increase in aperture brings an increase in the quality of the view. A 32 mm is better than a 30 mm, a 42 mm is better than a 32 mm, a 50 mm is better than a 42 mm and a 56 mm is better than a 50 mm.

Probably one of the best things about the Doctor's though is how well they handle glare because of the big 7 mm exit pupil. My Nikon SE 8x32 is very glare resistant, but the Doctor's are just over the top. Even when you look right near the sun, there is NO glare! Amazing! I guess it is because the glare passes the field stop of the binocular and never reaches your eyes.

These big aperture binoculars are addicting, and I can see why so many birders like a bigger aperture, but you pay a price when you start carrying them but for static use or if you are not hiking too far the view is hard to match with a smaller aperture.

So many rookie mistakes as to cause and effect. One would think you were brand new to this hobby.

A "binocular butterfly" is supposed to move from "flower" to "flower" in the hope of finding one with more "pollen", so no surprise there, but why would you buy a 40 oz bino when you have recently complained about a shoulder arthritis problem and said that heavy binos were a definite no no.

Odd, mine are nice and sharp, colour free and bright, but I can definitely detect some sharpness roll off especially at the top and bottom of the field and at night bright stars can extend into little lines near the edges, something the APM 10x50 doesn’t do (though it has a flattener). Collimation appears to be bang on. Mine didn’t come with a strap, I was debating getting a Zeiss one as that’s where it’s DNA came from.!
Moderately 3D view, not like the APM where it looks like you have these obviously distance separated layers of reality – “overly real”. Maybe the larger depth of field is to blame?
Not sure I’d drag these out if there wasn’t a good change of needing their low light performance, there is a reason birders like 8x30 binoculars.
Thanks for the case recommendation, but I’m not sure how easy an FMT case would be to find! The Doctor appears a little longer and thicker on the specs.
I’ve just finished making a 3D printed tripod adapter to let the Doctor deliver rock steady views with conventional tripod adapters.

Peter
The Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50 or 7x50 case works perfect for the Doctor Nobilem 8x56 B. You can buy them direct from Fujinon. Scroll down on the parts list.

Last edited:
If you want to stay with large aperture here are the earlier 8x50 models.
View attachment 1524511View attachment 1524514View attachment 1524513
Thanks, Dries. I agree with you more than anybody on Bird Forum, and I think it is because you and I know more than anybody on here about binoculars. :( I realize now I really like the big aperture porros. I am going to look for a pair of those Jena 8x50's. I don't care about the weight, the view is amazing. Where did you get yours?

A "binocular butterfly" is supposed to move from "flower" to "flower" in the hope of finding one with more "pollen", so no surprise there, but why would you buy a 40 oz bino when you have recently complained about a shoulder arthritis problem and said that heavy binos were a definite no no.
The view, the view. I realized when I compared these two superb porros the Nikon SE 8x32 and Doctor Nobilem 8x56 B that aperture makes a huge difference in a binoculars performance even in the daytime. My shoulder is better, I am on some medication that helps a lot. It is called Meloxicam.

Last edited:
Personally I would not go down that road Dennis, because I am still learning. Nobody knows everything and one should never think they are the smartest in the room.
These 8X50s can be purchased in Germany, not too many of them here in the US anymore. The other one I have is the Nobilem 8X50 Spezial from Jena (they also produced a 12X50), smaller numbers of those were produced for a short period of time.

Personally I would not go down that road Dennis, because I am still learning. Nobody knows everything and one should never think they are the smartest in the room.
These 8X50s can be purchased in Germany, not too many of them here in the US anymore. The other one I have is the Nobilem 8X50 Spezial from Jena (they also produced a 12X50), smaller numbers of those were produced for a short period of time.
Thanks, I am going to look at some of those. They seem to command a pretty good price, even for the well used ones. I know I am not the smartest person in the room. My wife is! At least that is what she says.:confused: These Zeiss 7x50 Jena on Cloudy Night's looked pretty good, but they sold fast.

Last edited:
Doesn't the 8x56 weigh more than 40 ounces? If I could still use 7mm exit pupil I'd love them. Taking my 10x56 out for birding is a rare treat, I mostly stay on my lounge chair for astronomy with them but the daytime views are sublime.

I'd watch out for those NSAIDs. IMO they're very dangerous for long term use, I nearly died from taking them in my 20's....FWIW....10-15,000 deaths per year in US from bleeding ulcers, unknown how many more from liver/kidney damage.

Doesn't the 8x56 weigh more than 40 ounces? If I could still use 7mm exit pupil I'd love them. Taking my 10x56 out for birding is a rare treat, I mostly stay on my lounge chair for astronomy with them but the daytime views are sublime.

I'd watch out for those NSAIDs. IMO they're very dangerous for long term use, I nearly died from taking them in my 20's....FWIW....10-15,000 deaths per year in US from bleeding ulcers, unknown how many more from liver/kidney damage.
Ibuprofen are similar. What do you suggest as a safer alternative? Your eyes don't need to dilate to 7 mm to get benefit from the 7 mm EP. They help with easier eye placement, glare and since you are just using the sweet spot of the objective and not the edges you get less aberrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back