• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does Leica not stand behind their product? (1 Viewer)

I guess I'm the anomally...... I have yet to pay for a Leica repair and I have had 2 or 3 Trinovids in the last several years totally rebuilt....

Last one was a sight to behold, must been drug behind a truck. It was surely a mistake not taking a pic of before and after.

estimate just said "good will warranty".

I will say others have better CS but I REALLY like Leica mechanics, optics and ergo so I stay with them.

Dave

I sent my almost 10 year old and still in warranty BAs back to Leica at the end of October for the same reason. I was told that the repair was 'cosmetic'

So that means the guys at Leica don't think that the coatings actually have come off and that there is no need for repair. One could also take that as good news instead of being outraged ;)

Just to add that my only experiences with Leica service has been excellent. Living in Vietnam I sent my bins for repair during a Christmas holidays in Germany. They made sure that I got my bins back before my departure to Vietnam, that means they did all work within 3 weeks, including christmas holidays. Excellent communication throughout.

I too have experienced outstanding customer service from Leica USA. Last year I purchased a well worn, okay, abused, 10x42 Geovid, which was sent in for inspection upon my receiving them. Less than three weeks later a package arrived from Leica via UPS, which contained a brand new 10x42 Geovid and an invoice that said, "Replaced under Goodwill Service". Can't beat that with a stick!

Apologies for bringing some unwanted levity to the proceedings, but every time my eye catches the title of ths thread - a topic of no interest since I have Zeiss FLs - "Does Leica not stand behind their product?" the thought comes unbidden into my mind
"Well, it'd be a darn sight more inconvenient if they stood in front of them!"

My recent experience has been both good (UK staff) and awful (repair dept at Solms, Germany).

Leica decided to close the Milton Keynes service dept a few months ago and I was advised to send my 18 year old Trinovids in for a service before the closure. Too late - there were no spares in MK so they were sent to Germany in June and that's where they stayed because of lack of spares.

In August I was at the Birdfair on the Friday and gave the Leica team a bit of a chest-poking and they were excellent, a pair of new bins arrived the following morning (Saturday) and I took them on holiday.

The four week loan period expired and Leica (UK) agreed to my proposal which was to keep the new glasses and, when the old ones were returned, I would devote the proceeds of their sale to my charity www.lipu-uk.org

Well the old ones arrived today and apart from the strap lugs you would think they are brand new - truly they are in amazing condition. A real bonus - they are no longer BAs, they've put the close focussing bits in and they are now BNs!

So excellent service in terms of keeping a customer happy - but it shouldn't take 5 months to turn round a simple repair (the eye cups were sticking and difficult to push in and out).

If anyone is looking for a pair of "as new" 10 x 42 BN glasses please get in touch, they can be viewed in Lincoln. email is [email protected]

Hope that helps.

David

Hi David,
if you are talking about the old "Leitz" as distinguished from "Leica" Trinovids then it is not surprising it took so long. They used the old Uppendahl Prisms. Leica switched to the Schmidt/Pechan prisms when they put the Leica name on their binoculars.

I have a 7 x 42 Leitz Trinovid. When I inquired about getting them cleaned they advised me that they could do it but that most parts for it were no longer available if any were needed. I was able to get new eye cups for them though.

Bob

Hi David,
if you are talking about the old "Leitz" as distinguished from "Leica" Trinovids then it is not surprising it took so long. They used the old Uppendahl Prisms. Leica switched to the Schmidt/Pechan prisms when they put the Leica name on their binoculars.

I have a 7 x 42 Leitz Trinovid. When I inquired about getting them cleaned they advised me that they could do it but that most parts for it were no longer available if any were needed. I was able to get new eye cups for them though.

Bob

Just read your post in the Sale thread. If your eyecups were sticking it must be a Leica. the Leitz's had rubber folding eyecups.
Bob

Its good to hear all these 'good news' stories. It encourages me to keep the new Leicas on my list of possibles for my next purchase.

As for my current 'problem' my optics retailer has advised that after further inspection and another attempt at cleaning, they think the coatings are fine and its just a persistent stain that will improve everytime they are cleaned. In a way I'm happy - it means they're not faulty. The world is OK again.

Second post since I discover here :)

My new Leica Ultravid 10x25 was knock hard and I sent it back to check if there's any internal damage - I can share my experience once I get it back mid-January.

One thing I hear from Leica when I call them - they said beginning from 2 month ago the will charge 35$ shipping/handling for all Passport warranty. I am wondering will this be a big-disadvantage long term compare to Swavorski?

RIDICULOUS STORY and completely UNBELIEVABLE!!!
I own 7 pairs of Leica bins. Over the years, I have had every pair serviced by sending them to Leica USA in New Jersey. EVERY PAIR of bins were fixed by Leica for FREE. I didnt ask them to fix for free. I expected to br charged for the servicing. However, each and every time there was NO CHARGE. All of my bins were fixed for FREE! I have sent them bins which were dropped with eye-cups crushed and bent; tubes cracked; focusing ring broken; etc, etc.

Leica is THE BEST after sales care company I have ever dealt with - and that includes their cameras! I have sent in several of my Leica cameras and again, they were fixed fir FREE. No way Leica would treat one customer with such great care and another customer with such disregard. The same few people work at Leica, they are terrific.

RIDICULOUS STORY and completely UNBELIEVABLE!!! <snip>

Well, there have been other stories like the one posted. I had Leica take more than three (!) months to repair a family member's Trinovid 10x40 where the coating peeled off one of the objectives. I was charged a ridiculous amount for a small plastic cap that had simply fallen off my Trinovid 8x32 BA. I've heard more than one story about Leica being very, shall we say, "difficult" about repairing Apo-Televids where the lens coating peeled off after the scopes had been used for seawatching.

Alright, all these cases involved Leica in Germany, not in the US, and lately they seem to be much more reasonable again over here. But I do find it a bit rich to accuse another member of this forum of lying in your first post, just because *you* got good service from Leica.

Hermann

Last edited:
6 or 7 years ago I contacted Leica (NJ) asking about a replacement eyecup for my 10x25 Leitz. The ring that the cord attached to broke. They responded that the part was no longer available.

Since I had used hangman's knots to attach both ends of a cord to both eyecups, which has the advantages of being very strong and allows the bins to hang conventionally instead of from one eyecup, I told them it wasn't a big deal to me. They said they would give me full retail credit based on current Leica 10x25 Trinovids that could be applied to any Leica product. I thanked them and passed. They said the offer would stand if I ever change my mind.

6 months later I got to thinking about what Leica offered as I had the bug to get a pair of 8x32BNs. I called Leica. They acknowledged the offer and after I shipped my 1982 well used Leitz minis to them + $450., I received a new pair of 8x32 BNs with passport and lifetime warranty.

Though I have no reason to doubt any of the stories posted on this thread, MY account is one of outstanding service and going the extra step by Leica.

Devgroup wrote:

RIDICULOUS STORY and completely UNBELIEVABLE!!!
I own 7 pairs of Leica bins. Over the years, I have had every pair serviced by sending them to Leica USA in New Jersey. EVERY PAIR of bins were fixed by Leica for FREE. I didnt ask them to fix for free. I expected to br charged for the servicing. However, each and every time there was NO CHARGE. All of my bins were fixed for FREE! I have sent them bins which were dropped with eye-cups crushed and bent; tubes cracked; focusing ring broken; etc, etc.

Leica is THE BEST after sales care company I have ever dealt with - and that includes their cameras! I have sent in several of my Leica cameras and again, they were fixed fir FREE. No way Leica would treat one customer with such great care and another customer with such disregard. The same few people work at Leica, they are terrific.

What are you doing with those things, building houses?

I purchased Leica 10X42 Trinovids in Dec '09. and filed for the Passport Warranty.
In Dec '10, the focus had difficulty to reach infimity and the offset between eyes was now large. I sent them to Leica, NJ Dec 9. They posted the estmate for repair under warranty Dec 13 and wanted $35 for shipping and handling, estimating a 3 month delay.
I received them back Feb 28. The repair quality was excellent, but I am disapointed with the delay, and the fact that they failed in less than a year.

I purchased Leica 10X42 Trinovids in Dec '09. and filed for the Passport Warranty.
In Dec '10, the focus had difficulty to reach infimity and the offset between eyes was now large. .... and the fact that they failed in less than a year.

offset between eyes large ???

I think the post is referring to the dioptre adjustment.

This was a problem with the Trinovid BN series. A locking screw inside shifted with time and gradually moved the dioptre setting so that in the end it was not possible to focus the right side on distant objects.

Hi all...
not using Leicas myself, but a friend here in Colombia just sent his Leicas (bought online from authorized dealer some years ago) to US for warranty repair after Leica staff directed him to to so by email, and he just received an email saying "Your repair reference number is XXXXX. I have attached the estimate" and the attached PDF file says (IN SPANISH):

"Leica USA normally does not repair equipment sent from other countries. but as your bins are already here, please call to our office to let us know how will you do your payment".. the estimated cost in that file is US 500,00!

UNBELIEVABLE!..

any comments on this?
THANKS!

Update: my friend finally accepted to cover the US500 for his Leicas service; they were so delayed that he emailed several Leica high people very upset, so he received an offer and finally only had to pay something around US300...

WHAT A PAIN of service!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back