• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica trinovoid advice please (1 Viewer)

Milgrip

United Kingdom
Hi, I live in the UK and after researching this forum for binocular specs, would like some rough advice on prices.

What should I expect to be a reasonable price to pay for the following Leica binoculars? (I am new to the reality of quality binoculars) and don't want to be taken for a ride.

These are the two on my wish list.

I have the option to buy Trinovid 8x42 BN no case etc , just the binoculars in so called good condition.

If any around, Trinovid 7x42 BN Blue Binoculars, the marine type, with all the original attachments , in excellent condition,

Would really appreciate your comments on what I would be expected to pay.

Welcome.... very dependant on condition, but good BN's are upwards of £500. More for mint examples with case/accessories etc.
Check ebay, and Ace Optics, Focalpoint optics, Birders Store.... just a few examples.

The Marine Blue model would be a collectors piece and command a premium price, especially if it has the original box, warranty cards and user manual. It is quite rare to have one come up for sale. I would not be at all surprised to see an asking price of £1500 plus.
The other unit, with unscratched lenses and coatings, original strap and rainguard....£400 - £500 max

NB. Bear in mind that spares for these are now fairly scarce, particularly if the 8 x 42 needs rearmouring or servicing / recollimation. Only one person I would trust to do the work, currently living in Norfolk.

The Marine Blue model would be a collectors piece and command a premium price, especially if it has the original box, warranty cards and user manual. It is quite rare to have one come up for sale. I would not be at all surprised to see an asking price of £1500 plus.
The other unit, with unscratched lenses and coatings, original strap and rainguard....£400 - £500 max

NB. Bear in mind that spares for these are now fairly scarce, particularly if the 8 x 42 needs rearmouring or servicing / recollimation. Only one person I would trust to do the work, currently living in Norfolk.
Most second hand shops are near the £700 to £750 mark for good BN's.
Prices have moved up, £400 to £500 would not get you a good example now.
I paid £640 for some mint condition BN's 6 months ago, and looking now, I may have got a reasonable deal.

BA's/BN's are subject to Leica's 30yr warranty. (New Leica Trinovids are at 10years)
Leica will service and recover them free of charge.
Mine were done, as they were18 yrs old, complete service and clean, and I know Leica re-armour if required because my first 'older' BN's were done.
Both services free.
Ironically, my BN's still have 12 years warranty, two more than a brand new pair of Trinovids from the shop!!

Thank you, yes and a good price. I have noticed them but I am leaning towards the trinovid 7x35 BN or the 7x42 marine blue if I can find one.
I have noticed a couple of times that the more depth one questions dealers or private sellers on ebay for information on condition, fungi, scratches and previous owner history etc on the binocular they seem to get upset and one seller refused to sell to me and blocked me on ebay, when I asked him the reason he was selling at such a low price an unused immaculate condition binocular that he had bought 2 years ago in Portugal.
I suppose it takes all sorts.

All part of the "fun" of entering the secondhand market I guess - caveat emptor. It cuts both ways, as you'll find when you become a seller - lowballers, tyre kickers etc. But if you want to find out of production items it's often the only way.

If it all gets too bothersome you can always walk into a store and get a shiny new Ultravid HD+ for around two thousand pounds... 😸

Thank you, yes and a good price. I have noticed them but I am leaning towards the trinovid 7x35 BN or the 7x42 marine blue if I can find one.
I have noticed a couple of times that the more depth one questions dealers or private sellers on ebay for information on condition, fungi, scratches and previous owner history etc on the binocular they seem to get upset and one seller refused to sell to me and blocked me on ebay, when I asked him the reason he was selling at such a low price an unused immaculate condition binocular that he had bought 2 years ago in Portugal.
I suppose it takes all sorts.
Was his name Dennis 😆. Seriously, what you described is not so unusual, I’ve had this happen quite a few times. When this happens I consider it having done my due diligence and and potentially solving a problem before it happens. Most of the time these people are hiding something they don’t want to tell you ,and they are experienced enough to know that buyers who ask the right questions most likely will return the binoculars if not adequately described , and they don’t want to go through hassle of the return and possible negative feedback. There’s a guy on Cloudynights that’s sells a lot of old vintage bins relatively cheap, if you ask him any questions he responds by saying , it sounds like your a problem buyer and I don’t want the headaches.

Paul

Hi, I live in the UK and after researching this forum for binocular specs, would like some rough advice on prices.

What should I expect to be a reasonable price to pay for the following Leica binoculars? (I am new to the reality of quality binoculars) and don't want to be taken for a ride.

I have the option to buy Trinovid 8x42 BN no case etc , just the binoculars in so called good condition.

If any around, Trinovid 7x42 BN Blue Binoculars, the marine type, with all the original attachments , in excellent condition,

There are two blue 7x42s listed on German eBay for 1200€ each. One BN and one BA. One of them was 1500€ until recently. Apparently, no-one was prepared to pay that much. I guess you could get one of them for 1100€, if you ask them. Good luck!

The blue ones are really cool! But for 1200€ you should be able to find an Ultravid....

Unless you are fully commited to Leica BA/BN's.... (I have BN's and love them)... then why not go more modern and look at Zeiss Conquests or others like top end Opticron Arouras in the £1000 region.
My old conquests are optically very good, with all the latest coatings etc
BN's are old and will require a bit more care probably.
Zeiss conquests can be used firstly as Binos, and then an American football when you're bored 😄 (y)

I would happily pay $1,500 for a pair of blue 7x42s. I'd probably be willing to stretch to $2k. Weird and very cool binoculars.
I'd like a pair of the red ones too, but I like the blues better.

Or the modern 7x35 Trinovid Classic at $1,500?
I hate to be a person that harps on one pair of binoculars just because they have them, but....the 7x35 classic really does fit into the category of being all encompassing, with the exception of water proofing and close focus. Otherwise, this is a beaut... and it looks sooooooooooooo good looking to boot. jim

I wouldn’t know about prices. But elsewhere on the forum if I recall correctly there is a Post Regarding The blue 7 x 42 it reportedly has special coatings designed to deal with salt water and spray for marine use.

Mike

I hate to be a person that harps on one pair of binoculars just because they have them, but....the 7x35 classic really does fit into the category of being all encompassing, with the exception of water proofing and close focus. Otherwise, this is a beaut... and it looks sooooooooooooo good looking to boot. jim
They really are such a gorgeous bin, all the classic trinies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back