• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dove and Grackle ID, please, Florida, USA (1 Viewer)

Daddylion

The Daddy Lion
I don't know what kind of dove this is, but it's not a mourning so could anyone help with ID? And I think the grackle is a boat-tailed, but I'm no good with southern birds.
Thanks, this is just the first bit I'm sure!

Attachments

• 100_0090.jpg
    100_0090.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_0092.jpg
    100_0092.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 64
They breed all over Florida. There are scattered and slowly growing colonies as far north as southern Delaware, though nests may not have been actually found north of North Carolina. I believe (a) nest(s) have been found in southern Pennsylvania. Texas is rife with them; birds have been seen as far north as south(east)ern Alaska, southern Yukon, and Massachusetts.

They're also common in the deserts east of San Diego. The Imperial Valley is loaded with them in some areas. They've even been seen in San Diego I've found out but I have yet to see them here.

They breed all over Florida. There are scattered and slowly growing colonies as far north as southern Delaware, though nests may not have been actually found north of North Carolina. I believe (a) nest(s) have been found in southern Pennsylvania. Texas is rife with them; birds have been seen as far north as south(east)ern Alaska, southern Yukon, and Massachusetts.

They have conquered the US quicker than they did in Europe. I just found an article saying they first bred in Florida in 1982. The article suggests it's filling the ecological niche left by the Passenger Pigeon.

I don't think they were identified in Florida until about 1985 or 1986 (?). I remember an article in Birding magazine announcing the recent discovery that it was this species, and not Ringed Turtle-Dove/Barbary Dove, that was currently all over Florida.

Hey thanks guys! Don't worry, tomorrow we're going to Corkscrew Swamp and Sannibell Island so you guys should be kepy busy!;)

No I havn't seen a Limpkin yet, but hopefully I will tomarrow. We havn't even gone to a nature place yet, just rest stops. We got the first lifer before the plane even stopped on the runway- we rolled by a drying anhinga.

Listen for that distinctive call for the Limpkin. That is how I found mine, made me say "What the hell was that?!" ;) good luck, can't wait for your challenges.

-Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back