• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (29 Viewers)

very early visit to castle eden denemouth this morning - 6am. flocks of goldfinch flitting back and forth on thistle heads. stonechat x2, female kestrel hunting on beach banks. highlight though was approx 20 gannets diving about 100m offshore. walk through the dene to the lodge was quiet.

great views of kingfishers at far pastures on friday....also grey heron,little grebe,mallard family,reed buntings and plenty of goldfinch

Silksworth Lake is, without being sarcastic, in Silksworth in Sunderland. Its where the dry ski slope is if you know where that is? There are two man made lakes. One is kind of like a large duck pond that the general public take great pleasure in throwing all their crap into. The other is a fishing lake and has a much more feel of nature to it. I have to point out the obvious by saying the Voles are quite difficult to see. I go there quite regularly and by no means see them on a regular basis. As usual the best times are first thing in the morning before the public show up. If you want more detailed directions by all means P.M. me.

Silksworth Lake is, without being sarcastic, in Silksworth in Sunderland. Its where the dry ski slope is if you know where that is? There are two man made lakes. One is kind of like a large duck pond that the general public take great pleasure in throwing all their crap into. The other is a fishing lake and has a much more feel of nature to it. I have to point out the obvious by saying the Voles are quite difficult to see. I go there quite regularly and by no means see them on a regular basis. As usual the best times are first thing in the morning before the public show up. If you want more detailed directions by all means P.M. me.

Hi Jason - I used to fish that lake about 5 years ago and regularly saw the Water Voles, especially along the section near the puma centre steps, they were quite tame and often came quite close. First time i saw one i mistook it for a rat, until i got a good look at it and found it to be a vole - from then on it was always nice to have one for company whilst sitting on the bank.

At the same time Sunderland Angling Club were going to make good some of the existing fishing 'pegs' with shuttering / concrete / paving slabs, but were stopped due to the potential harm to the Water Vole habitat.

Anyway its great to hear they are still thriving, might have a stroll round there myself sometime soon....

Pipe & Slippers Birding

The centre of my local patch is without doubt my home & garden
So, this evening, i decided to stay in:eek!: & watch from home............

Set up in our attic bedroom, feet up, glass in hand, & it wasnt too long before i was watching our local Barn Owl appear in an open sky - heading home with prey:t:

Very pleased with that one:king:

Plenty of owls out & about at present... some detail on DBC members forum
cheers
SE

Last edited:
Hi Derek, yep they're still doing ok. I've seen them in quite a few areas on the fishing lake, including where you mentioned. But the best thing is the one I seen yesterday was actually on the other lake, right next to the Swan nest. Its the first time I've seen any on that lake and I really didnt expect them to be there. The area is worth a quick look. So far this year I've had Water Rail (in winter), and not too long ago I had a Kingfisher on the fishing lake. I keep hoping a nice duck or grebe will turn up but no luck yet.

Nice to have a sunny day for a change - well afternoon anyway!

Bishop Middleham - old quarry - Durham Argus x17 - most I've seen here in one visit. Plenty of other species around as well - Common Blue, Ringlet, Small Heath, Meadow Brown etc.

A few Sand Martin around with one or two still nesting. The odd Swallow, Goldfinch, Linnet and a Kestrel. Best find though was a family of Green Woodpecker - male, female and at least one juvenile - first ones I've seen here and first local ones I've seen this year. I'd forgotten just how big they are when seen from a few yards away. Not very obliging for photos espcially when I only had my macro gear with me but constantly calling and peering from behind tree trunks.

Hardwick Hall - was the next stop for a wander around the lake. Much the same as my last visit with numerous Black-tailed Skimmer, a few Common Darter and numerous Common Blue and Blue-tailed Damselflies.

Bird wise - Great Crested Grebe family with two juveniles still present and a couple of Mute Swan families and the usual Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. The Grey Wagtail was still along the dam wall. Blackcap and Chiffchaff calling from trees by the Serpentine. A pair of Spotted Flycatcher on the woodland edge facing the 'Greek Temple'.

Beck Valley Country Park, Bullingham - another try for the Banded Damsel which I'd expected at Hardwick Hall. Two males seen in much the same place as a female yesterday. Female Emperor Dragonfly seen in flight.

Photos: 1.&2. Durham Argus - 3. Green Woodpecker (head) - 4. Banded Demoiselle female - 5. Banded Demoiselle (male).

Attachments

• IMG_9159ao.JPG
    IMG_9159ao.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9280ao.JPG
    IMG_9280ao.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9350aao.JPG
    IMG_9350aao.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8865ao.JPG
    IMG_8865ao.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9538ao.JPG
    IMG_9538ao.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 67
A brief visit to Whitburn Steel this afternoon. Wader numbers building up - redshank, dunlin, ringed plover, turnstone, oystercatcher and curlew all heard or seen - although the tide was out, so they were well scattered. Several house martins regularly landing on the cliff-face.

Malcolm

Attachments

• housemartin.jpg
    housemartin.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 73
Had a small walk round Wingate Nature Reserve and was surprised to see a Pair of Moorhen putting the finishing touches to a nest. At least second but could be third Brood this year. There was one Egg in last night so could be more now.
A couple of young Kestrels making plenty of noise when an adult flew over with food.

A few Dragonflies and Butterflies about too.

1&2 Marbled White 3 Common Blue Damsell 4 Common Darter

Attachments

• Marbled White 1.jpg
    Marbled White 1.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Marbled White 2.jpg
    Marbled White 2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 52
  • BlueDamsell.jpg
    BlueDamsell.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 82
  • CommonDarter.jpg
    CommonDarter.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 56
Had a small walk round Wingate Nature Reserve and was surprised to see a Pair of Moorhen putting the finishing touches to a nest. At least second but could be third Brood this year. There was one Egg in last night so could be more now.
A couple of young Kestrels making plenty of noise when an adult flew over with food.

A few Dragonflies and Butterflies about too.

1&2 Marbled White 3 Common Blue Damsell 4 Common Darter

Great find with the Marbled White - I've not seen one for a few years now. I think it's an Azure Damselfy rather than Common Blue - the 'U' marking on the first segments are an easy to see guide.

A return visit to me Beck Valley Country Park didn't throw up too much. A nice find was a Kingfisher and also a strange encounter.

A large bat was flying backwards and forwards up and down a short stretch of the beck. I was trying to see what the small ball shape it had clutched to it's breast but it was too dull and gloomy under the trees. The Kingfisher flying upstream got a shock as the bat dived towards it and the Kingfisher plunged under water before heading back down stream. A few minutes later the same thing happened again. I'm not sure whether the bat was diving on it or just carrying on it's frenzied feeding - though at 2:00pm on a sunny afternoon it seemed an unusual time to be doing it. A few minutes later the Kingfisher came upstream again giving it's screaming call, ducked under the bat and then rose up towards the foot bridge but saw me stood on the bridge and just to say made it under the bridge before disappearing upstream.

Also seen Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk and several Bullfinch.

Only dragonflies about were Azure Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly, Common Blue Damselfly, Common Darter and Ruddy Darter. A female Emperor Dragonfly was over the small pond upstream from the second bridge.

Great find with the Marbled White - I've not seen one for a few years now. I think it's an Azure Damselfy rather than Common Blue - the 'U' marking on the first segments are an easy to see guide.

Hello Ian,

The Marbled Whites in Wingate Quarry were introduced nearly a decade ago as part of a University Experiment on the effects of Global Warming. The same year Small Skippers were introduced into a quarry in the Belford area of north Northumberland. The latter species is no longer separated from the natural population which has expended to encompass the Belford area.

The Marbled White however, is still more or less confined to Wingate Quarry, with just the odd straggler being reported from adjacent tetrads. This latter species is now quite common in Yorkshire, so hopefully it will eventually expand naturally into Durham.

I must admit, that being particularly interested in the records of the distribution of (both historical and modern) of butterflies in Northumberland & Durham, that the artificial introduction of species into these counties without any consultation with local entomologists at all, should be regarded as being nothing less then damned disgracefull.

The enterprise as I understand it, was only funded for a couple of years and then dropped. Hardly a reasonable time for any scientific investigation or result to be completed or ascertained.

There are no historical records of the Marbled White ever being recorded in Co. Durham or further northwards.

I can just imagine what the Birders would feel, if some 'prat' introduced an alien bird in some numbers, e.g. An Egyptian Vulture into either county.

Harry

Thanks for the update Harry. I've seen then around North Cliffe in East Yorkshire but that was a few years ago now - mostly as it's not a place I visit nowadays. Whilst I agree about the reintroduction it also good to know they've survived. At least the habitat appears to be suitable for a self sustaining population. I'll have to pay a visit when the sun comes out again!

It does make you wonder what else may be hidden away.

As regards birds I think it's already happening anyway with escapees/releases like Eagle Owl, Harris Hawk and paticularly Parakeet deliberately relased just to name just a few.

I had a look around Seaton Snook/Zinc Works Road first thing this morning.

Zinc Works Road - juvenile Cuckoo sat along the fence line on it's own. Looks pretty young but was free flying and no Mipits at all with it. Also Peregrine juv over Seaton Common. At one point it flew over the mirgant bushes from the power station field putting up the Cuckoo with them both passing just a few yards overhead. Also several Kestrels around.

Seaton Snook - Sandwich Tern x.20, Artic Tern x2, Common Tern c.40, Knot x9, Oystercatcher 30+, Grey Plover x21, Dunlin x7, Turnstone c.12, Ringed Plover c.20, Redshank x7.

Photos: 1. Dunlin - 2. Turnstone - 3. Sandwich Tern - 4. Redshank juv. 5. Cuckoo juv.

Attachments

• IMG_0252ao.JPG
    IMG_0252ao.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0256ao.JPG
    IMG_0256ao.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0265ao.JPG
    IMG_0265ao.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0334ao.JPG
    IMG_0334ao.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0772ao.JPG
    IMG_0772ao.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back