• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

far more birds on the edge of town than usual & certainly less in/around the reserve & surrounding countryside.
pheasants walking about the edge of the estate just coming out of town at Dairy Lane, first bird i looked at was Little Owl, a few steps further & a Kingfisher catching from snow covered branches.
The burn side ( used to call 'em becks were i come from ;)) horse fields held a decent variety including 2 Brambling & more surprising 2 Jays.

Round the Raintons areas all the standard fair with several Sparrowhawks, 2Water Rail, Woodcock, single Curlew & Lapwing feeding in wet ditches, small nos of Teal & Wigeon are hanging on, even the few geese left seem to be struggling... Surprisingly ive noticed both Great Tits & Bullfinch singing the 2 days.
A large flock of @100 Goldfinch on Larch & a similar group of Redpoll & Siskin, though very mobile. Every wet ditch held Blackbirds & Song Thrushes, with a few handful of Redwing & Fieldfare eaking out a living from the few remaining berries.
A couple of coveys scratted about, loads of mammal tracks in all directions, but only 1 Hare seen. One of the farms held a selection of finches & buntings round the yard, where a dog walker reported hunting Barn owl one afternoon last week.
Relatively uneventful yet pleasant day, untill later on a bolt of blue appeared over the white landscape - a male Merlin absolutely storming north.
A very, very overdue Local Patch & OFFH yeartick

held on till the bitter end at RMs in the hope a Bittern might fly in to roost in the reedbed, sadly not, but 4 or more Woodcock flying, 2 rails squealing, while heading back the briefest of glimpses of a hunting Leo with Pinks heard overhead later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunate that the works continued when the pool was hosting such distinguished visitors ( No, im not talking about you's two ;) )

But, looking over the sluice wall it appears that the reedbed is pretty much iced solid now - not much scope for feeding Bitterns or Herons for that matter. - the Heron stood the full day out on the ice, he never attempted to feed today.
I reckon the Bitterns would have very shortly been forced out by the ice anyway, had the contractors not arrived....

Knowing some of the obscure spots last years bird was getting to, and how it gave us the run-a-round, i am sure they, or at least one of them will be back into this favoured area when the ice loosens its grip.

Attachments

• LO_7_DEC_2010.gif
    LO_7_DEC_2010.gif
    191.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Snipe7_DEC_2010.gif
    Snipe7_DEC_2010.gif
    109.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Cheers for the map Steve, think it might be a timing issue on my part - might try and leave work for a couple of hours late in the afternoon and try and catch up with one of the pesky Woodcocks!!!

Cheers for the map Steve, think it might be a timing issue on my part - might try and leave work for a couple of hours late in the afternoon and try and catch up with one of the pesky Woodcocks!!!

a couple of images of some of my favourite winter species
Woodcocks the fust'n Gary :-O

Attachments

• Woodcock-1-DEC_2010_.gif
    Woodcock-1-DEC_2010_.gif
    196.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Water-Rail-DEC-2010.gif
    Water-Rail-DEC-2010.gif
    151.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Jack-Sn-DEC-2010.gif
    Jack-Sn-DEC-2010.gif
    140 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Just had a couple of hours on Rainton Meadows and finally caught up with the Woodcock (cheers for the map again Stevie - two in the exact places you mentioned) - total of 4 (possibly five - or multiple views of the same bird) including a cracking individual feeding along the edge of the path that splits Pool 1 and 2.

Met another birder on the reserve (sorry didn't get your name) who had 2 Bramblings at the feeding station earlier in the day.

Cold and Bored ??? !!! - Get a Local Patch !!!

Stevie our messages must have overlapped there mate, Woodcocks are easy mate haha. Its that pesky Jack Snipe I need now!!!

a bit trickier - dusk best bet down there

just a few more Jack Snipe pics :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16718162@N06/5244352093/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16718162@N06/5244053987/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16718162@N06/5244949106/sizes/l/in/photostream/

and short video clips :-

2 Jacks feeding - no bobbing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63hP3DHHkg

Common & Jack Snipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixRqPqkxEuk

Jack Snipe feeding some bobbing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcBaN7BgN1c

---------------------------------------------------

Red Kite today low over Chester Front Street ! , circling the streets, before heading Eastwards . . .

Attachments

• Jack-Snipe-x2-feeding.gif
    Jack-Snipe-x2-feeding.gif
    160.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
My first Bramblings of the winter, after looking around various sites with no luck 4 turn up in my back garden along with Nuthatch Goldfinch's and the usual commoner birds.

In the garden this morning - Brambling x10 - the most so far. Another two in trees along A1185 by Cowpen Bewley W.Pk.

Seaton Common - Woodcock c.20, Snipe c.30, Golden Plover x8, Merlin, Kestrel x2, Sparrowhawk, Lapland Bunting x1, Curlew, Skylark. Peregrine dived on a Kestrel but missed and flew off towards Seaton Snook. Redwing c.40 on landed on the migrant bushes before eventaully heading off west along Zinc Works Road

Seaton Snook - Merlin seen making a kill likewise a Sparrowhawk 20 mins later, Lapland Bunting x8 - one had been present on it's own when another seven flew in from Seaton Snook with a flock of Snow Bunting. Also present lots of Twite and Skylark and Golden Plover x3.

Attachments

• IMG_4590ao.jpg
    IMG_4590ao.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4641bo.jpg
    IMG_4641bo.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5407a.jpg
    IMG_5407a.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5606a.jpg
    IMG_5606a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5636ao.jpg
    IMG_5636ao.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 148
Raily good winter birding at present

Eventually managed to get a half decent picture of Water Rail - i was talking to CW about how we dont seem to see many more than usual when the bad weather comes.
We concluded that the birds we'd generally creep up on, can hear us approaching far more easily as we crunch through the ice & snow.

Short clip of very active WR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9ovnRM6-c

Attachments

• WR-dec.gif
    WR-dec.gif
    169.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Nothing quite so interesting as a Snowy Owl seen today but despite the dull skies it was still a nice morning to be out on the coast.

Seaton Snook - am - Bumped into Alan Gregory when I arrived and we went for a walk around. After spotting the Merlin on the cairn again we came across a Shore Lark x1 & a Lapland Bunting x1 by the Snook itself feeding together though looking through some photos I caught a Shore Lark in flight with the Twite so there maybe more than one. The Merlin was quite active again using the stone cairn to hunt from though at one point it disappeared for a while onto the Snook itself before returning to the cairn and as we were leaving it was perched on the power station fence.

Also seen - Snow Bunting 20-30, Twite c.100, Skylark c.50, Knot, Dunlin, Redshank, Shelduck, Great Crested Grebe, Red-breasted Merganser, Golden Plover.

Lots of Curlew, Woodcock, Snipe and a few Golden Plover again on Seaton Common behind the dunes.

Tilery Wood - pm - Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Reed Bunting, Brambling c.20, GSW x2, lots of Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Chaffinch. Redwing c.30, Siskin c.12, Bullfinch x6.

Brambling x6 in the garden again.

Attachments

• IMG_6198ao.jpg
    IMG_6198ao.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6210ao.jpg
    IMG_6210ao.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6102ao.jpg
    IMG_6102ao.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6226ao.jpg
    IMG_6226ao.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6243a.jpg
    IMG_6243a.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 172
unfortunately, its looking like our early Xmas box is very likely to be an escaped bird . . . :-C

an aviary flight has been smashed open due to the weight of snow, within 3 mile of where the bird was today.

still incredibly exciting - it took @ 2 hours from first seeing it, struggling through 3' of drifted snow, one section i crawled on hands & knees to remain unseen to get into a position to get that shot without scaring it off.

i wonder if it would have flown over & landed on my tripod if i had just walked straight up to it in full view ?

some you win, some you have to try again.

attd pic showing initial heart-stopping view from several 100 metres away . . .

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Snowy-Owl-1.gif
    Snowy-Owl-1.gif
    149.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Monster...

Hi Stevie & congrats on the monster find :t:

Well timed as only a few days off me annual pilgrimage to the motherland.

Keep us posted on whether it's an escape ;)

Cheers,

Jonny

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back