• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (37 Viewers)

Looking Back

On this day 2012, i had Ring Ouzel, Pied Flycatcher, Redstart, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Woodcock at regular nest sites. This was due to the very warm March of 2012. Today at these sites the only bird to return so far to the usual nest sites was Woodcock. Last year Pied Flycatcher and Redstart did particularly well. The Pied Fly's used several nest boxes which they acquired before the Great Tits got to them. Today Grt Tits where checking the nest boxes so i wonder if it will have an effect on numbers of P.Fly's nesting in this spot?
Common Buzzards displaying around Edmundbyers also Red Kite.
Young Game Keepers about in the area shooting (corvids and pigeons i presume). Maybe i'm just suspicious but every year i see Buzzards displaying, though very few if any young birds in the Summer.

Hartlepool Headland - am - Purple Sandpiper x10, Knot c.30, Ringed Plover x1 were the only notable sightings I had.

Ward Jackson Park - RN Parakeet x12 showing well. Also Nuthatch x2, Treecreeper, Mistle Thrush.

RSPB Saltholme - good views of the Lesser Scaup on the main pool.

Crookfoot Reservoir - Buzzard over. Goldeneye x5, Great Crested Grebe x2. Redhead Smew reported but not seen though later seen by others coming out of the 'arm' opposite the car park.

BTW if anyone has lost a pair of binoculars on Hartlepool Headland - please contact me.

Also I found a binocular objective cover at Crookfoot Reservoir this morning with a large B on it - possibly Bushnell. If it's yours let me know and I'll tell you where it's at.

Attachments

• IMG_2196a.jpg
    IMG_2196a.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2199a.jpg
    IMG_2199a.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3772a.jpg
    IMG_3772a.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2573a.jpg
    IMG_2573a.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2605a.jpg
    IMG_2605a.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 78
River Tees - Whorlton Area.
Found another LTT nest- Just started building yesterday.
1 pair buzzards displaying,1m Goosander,1 Dipper,2 pair grey wags,1 Kingfisher,LTTs and @ 2-30 a Bat hunting over the river and fields briefly landing on a tree.

Attachments

• _AWG0460-Bat-1.jpg
    _AWG0460-Bat-1.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 98
  • _AWG0579-Bat-1.jpg
    _AWG0579-Bat-1.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 116
Eggleston Area.
4 Buzzards,1 Pair kestrel mating, 2 more kestrel,2 Woodcock flushed,1 Dipper,1 Pair LTTs, 1 Grey Wag,1 Pair Mistle Thrush, 1 Pair Ravens and 1 Ring Ouzel.

Marsh Harrier - Dormans Pool 8.35am.

Saltholme east pond - Great Scaup drake still.

Tilery Wood - Crossbill x2, Siskin x2, Jay x2, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Marsh & Wilow Tit, Long-tailed Tit x2, Treecreeper x1, Bullfinch x2.

Attachments

• IMG_2750a.jpg
    IMG_2750a.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2988a.jpg
    IMG_2988a.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4253a.jpg
    IMG_4253a.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4125a.jpg
    IMG_4125a.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4074a.jpg
    IMG_4074a.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 57
Ian is the Marsh Harrier a juvenlie or adult M/F???. I myself have seen 1 at Saltholme last year, but im not sure if it was M/F, have these birds ever bred in the area, or are they just over wintering here. Im sure i 1nce heard they had bred here location not stated here for obviuos reasons. Thanks Damian

From distance it looks like an immature female. One photo shows a pale line along the upper wing primary coverts.

They've not bred locally since 1996 though they've shown interest a couple of times since. Even last year one was seen repeatedly carrying nesting material. Several turned up last year and one was present all last year right up until mid-January 2013 - possibly the same bird as this but hadn't been seen until this one turned up.

Thanks Ian
That was the date i was giving of the last time they had bred locally, it would be excellent if a pair established themselves in the teesmouth area, i dont belive they have bred any further north have they ???.

Thanks Ian
That was the date i was giving of the last time they had bred locally, it would be excellent if a pair established themselves in the teesmouth area, i dont belive they have bred any further north have they ???.

Actually yes, several pairs have bred further north including last year in Northumberland and in Scotland.

Dormans Pool - am - Marsh Harrier.

RSPB Saltholme - drake and female Scaup on east pond. Lesser Scaup reported on triangular pool viewed from Haverton Viewpoint.

Seaton Common - Fieldfare c.20 still.

Greenabella Marsh - beside sub-station - Chiffchaff, Stonechat pair, Skylark, Blue Tit x2, Wren. Reed Bunting x2, Water Rail, Pheasant.

Geenabella Marsh Pools - Avocet, Greenshank, Red-breasted Merganser, Redshank. Common Scoter male in Creek. Slavonian Grebe under last bridge and in front of hide. Diver distant views only below Able UK - possibly the GN Diver. Bar-tailed Godwit, Avocet, Redshank, Grey Plover & Dunlin on pool in front of hide.

Saline Lagoon - Shelduck Pair, Little Grebe, Avocet x28 - 41 counted including ones on Greenabella but could be more. Two colour ringed ones present ringed locally 31/05/2010.

Anyone lost a filter on Greenabella Marsh - possibly for a scope? I came across one this morning - must be my week for finding things rather than losing them!

Attachments

• IMG_3265a.jpg
    IMG_3265a.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3363a.jpg
    IMG_3363a.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3490a.jpg
    IMG_3490a.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3504a.jpg
    IMG_3504a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3734a.jpg
    IMG_3734a.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 73
Tawny Owl being mobbed at 8am flying fast down the main road in Bishop Auckland started the day nicely.

Drove to Eggleston, and then south over the border into Yorkshire...both sides of Baldersdale to the top of the valley, gorgeous morning:
Black Grouse (1), Curlew(dozen or so), Snipe (handful), Meadow Pipit (1), Lapwing(score+) Starling (murmur of possibly 800+), back headed gulls (score+), pair oystercatcher, beautiful Kestrel hunting in front of the Hury Dam, pheasant, possible pair of golden plover?

Back Garden

Several Siskins and Lesser Redpolls still visiting feeders in back garden.

Attachments

• IMG_6622.jpg
    IMG_6622.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6631.jpg
    IMG_6631.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 94
RSPB Saltholme - am - Haverton Scrub - Woodcock x2, Water Rail x2.

Haverton Viewpoint - Lesser Scaup still on triangular pool - better viewed from the pipeline side.

East Pond - Scaup pair, Smew x3, Goldeneye x5.

Tilery Wood - pm - Tawny Owl, Siskin x.20, Crossbill heard but not seen, GSW, Pheasant, Willow Tit & Marsh Tit. Frogs spawning on pool - I counted 49 but there could have been more.

Attachments

• IMG_4094a.jpg
    IMG_4094a.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4223a.jpg
    IMG_4223a.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4896a.jpg
    IMG_4896a.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4762a.jpg
    IMG_4762a.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4680a.jpg
    IMG_4680a.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 100
Saturday morning, Bishop Auckland Dam Head/Weardale Way, Bullfinches (hard to count but at least 5) Goosander.

Low Barns reserve
Tawny Owl(don't see one for years then two in a couple of days!), Goldeneye (2 pair), Treecreepers (pair amazingly tame compared to those I've glimpsed in the S.E.) Grey Wagtail (by river), Kingfishers, Little & GC Grebes etc

Incidentally the feeders at Low Barns are fun. Nuthatch, pheasant, chaffinch, blue/great/longtailed tits, robin, dunnock, sparrow, plus goldcrest in adjacent trees, can be seen & photographed at very close range

Crossbills - Tilery Wood

I paid a trip to see the Crossbills at Tilery Wood this morning and found them straight away about 30 yards past scout hut, but they were well back in the wood. Initially thought there was 3 but a pheasant flew past and put 6 up.
Nice to see.

A few pics from recent trip to Gambia on my blog

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• Crossbill5.jpg
    Crossbill5.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 98
  • Crossbill8.jpg
    Crossbill8.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back