• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

Been away for a few days down to Bempton and just got back.

Sunday evening no Avocet chicks but today three chicks scampering around on the tidal pool and possibly another one under one of the adults - looked like it had four legs! Far too far for photos though. Little Ringed Plover x2, Redshank x2 and Common Tern x4. A Greenshank had been present until just before I arrived as well. Looks like the Coot young have just hatched in the last day or so as well.

Great photos Ray - love the Yellow Wagtail :t:

Cheers Ian, I was talking to a guy down there, apparently he saw the Avocet chicks first and went on to say that the last he saw, they were on the South edge of the bus stop pool, the day before I was there, so they must have somehow managed the journey to the tidal pool. When you mention tidal pool, do you mean the pool behind to the East or the last stretch to the South ?.
Anyway It's good to know that they are well.

Nice little ring, espec, the one In flight :t:.

While I'm on, also WELCOME to Markh606 :t:.

Cheers Ian, I was talking to a guy down there, apparently he saw the Avocet chicks first and went on to say that the last he saw, they were on the South edge of the bus stop pool, the day before I was there, so they must have somehow managed the journey to the tidal pool. When you mention tidal pool, do you mean the pool behind to the East or the last stretch to the South ?.
Anyway It's good to know that they are well.

Nice little ring, espec, the one In flight :t:.

While I'm on, also WELCOME to Markh606 :t:.

Different people have different names for the 'tidal pool'. It's the one to the south of the bus stop hide lying between the hide pool and the small woodland area but it runs for quite a long distance in an arc to the left back around to the side of Greatham Creek. Two adults and the chicks were on the mud by the end of the wood. It was approaching high tide when I was there and not much mud showing so hopefully they may come closer towards low tide.

The water level in the pool by the bus stop hide is still very high following all the rain else they may have stayed on there. There's very little mud showing at present.

Avocets hatching today!

A shame it was such a grotty morning as there was loads of activity at Greatham Creek.

Greatham Creek and Tidal Pool - am - Avocet x4 adults and chicks x5. Greenshank x1 from bus stop hide plus Little Ringed Plover x2, Redshank x2, Common Tern x8. Pied Wagtail x2 plus young x2. Canada Goose x4.

Apparently the first lot of Avocets began hatching on Monday morning the fourth one hatching around 6:30pm. On Tuesday they moved onto the tidal pool.

So far one chick from the second lot.

Photos : 1.&2. Avocet - 3. Greenshank - 4.&5. Common Tern

Attachments

• IMG_2746ao.JPG
    IMG_2746ao.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2834ao.JPG
    IMG_2834ao.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2870ao.JPG
    IMG_2870ao.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2712ao.JPG
    IMG_2712ao.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2764ao.JPG
    IMG_2764ao.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 46
been away on holiday latly...but came bak to well supprise have new visitor to my garden feeders..a great spotted woodpecker..

Had a walk up Jbee's local walk yesterday:

Plenty linnet activity, yellow hammers, mippits, skylark, sedge warbler, white throat and at least 2 chiff chaff herd near the Haswell end of the walk.

Attachments

• _MG_2022.jpg
    _MG_2022.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 30
  • _MG_2069.jpg
    _MG_2069.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_2119.jpg
    _MG_2119.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 36
  • _MG_2126.jpg
    _MG_2126.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_2148.jpg
    _MG_2148.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 39
The county Corn Bunting population seems to be continuing its decline, Only managed to hear 5 singing males at Sherburn last week, and this area was probably second to only Bishop Middleham in terms of numbers.
Durham Bird Club members, ( if any still use this forum ) please remember to submit any sightings to the County recorder.:t:

Attachments

• cornbunts 007.jpg
    cornbunts 007.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Corn Buntings

Just to reitirate what Derek is saying this month my annual survey of Bishop Middleham farms and surrounding area is showing some very worrying trends regarding the corn bunting population i dont want to put gloom onto a normally upbeat and very responsive forum but we need as much information as possible to develop a future strategy for the species (where is it)? Hopefully there might some underlying problems that will redeem themselves, as with many bird populations most species tend to have annuall fluctuations but with the corn bunting we will have to be very vigilant. The RSPB and Natural England have been warned although Durham Bird Club at present seems to be the only organisation really putting in the effort to carry out research and monitoring.

John Olley Conservation Officer DBC

Called in at Hardwick Hall Park today.

Not much on the water apart from mallards, coots and moorehens, most of which have young chicks at various stages.
The surrounding tree areas held blue, great and couple of LT tits, chaffinch, robin and chiffchaff + jackdaw, crows, blackbird and 1 mistle thrush and 1 squirel. Also over the large pond swallow, house martin and 2 swift.
Not the best of days for photography but a pleasant walk.

Attachments

• _MG_2311.jpg
    _MG_2311.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_2346.jpg
    _MG_2346.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 33
  • _MG_2409.jpg
    _MG_2409.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 32
  • _MG_2424.jpg
    _MG_2424.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_2531.jpg
    _MG_2531.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 36
puffins at st abb's head

hi. i'm planning a trip up to st abbs head next week. does anyone have any info about the numbers of puffins breeding there this year? have been looking on threads had the net in general but can't seen to find anything. any information would be gratefully received. cheers.

Nice day at Teesmouth

Hi All,

Had a smashing day at Teeside today, started on the lane marked 'teesmouth bird club' opposite Saltholme, got some nice shots of Red Damsels and a rather attractive caterpillar. Saw a Sedge Warbler but he would not show himself to have his photo taken. Went up to Bus Stop hide and met with Scuzz & Renton (only found this out on Sunday 08/06/08 - thanks for pointing this out Renton), had a great chat and saw both pairs of Avocets with 3 visible chicks each. Greenshank also on view along with some Terns, a Little Ringed Plover and a brief appearence of a Yellow Wagtail on the island.

Then went to Back Saltholme to shoot the Swifts in flight. Scuzz stayed on here but i went to Hurworth Burn as i hadn't been there before - here are a couple of todays results...

Last edited:
Hi All,

Had a smashing day at Teeside today, started on the lane marked 'teesmouth bird club' opposite Saltholme, got some nice shots of Red Damsels and a rather attractive caterpillar. Saw a Sedge Warbler but he would not show himself to have his photo taken. Went up to Bus Stop hide and met with Scuzz, had a great chat and saw both pairs of Avocets with 3 visible chicks each. Greenshank also on view along with some Terns, a Little Ringed Plover and a brief appearence of a Yellow Wagtail on the island.

Then went to Back Saltholme to shoot the Swifts in flight. Scuzz stayed on here but i went to Hurworth Burn as i hadn't been there before - here are a couple of todays results...

I can't have missed you by much. I didn't get down until after lunch though by which time the young had moved to the end of the pool. Three were present there and the other four on the tidal pool. One adult kept returning to the scrape where another chick was present but I think it didn't make it as it never moved despite encouragement from it's parent. Still seven is a very good result.

Greenshank, LRP, Terns, Coot with four young, Lapwing and Redshank on the island with Yellow Wagtail and a young Pied Wagtail on the grass in front of the hide.

There seems to be little else of note around at present. Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat on Dormans Pool but very few damsel/dragon-flies around. Common Blue, Peacock, Red Admiral and Wall were the only butterflies I found.

Photos: 1. Sedge Warbler - 2. Common Whitethroat - 3. Greenshank - 4. Avocet with chicks - 5. Hare

Attachments

• IMG_3685ao.JPG
    IMG_3685ao.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3639ao.JPG
    IMG_3639ao.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3521ao.JPG
    IMG_3521ao.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3407ao.JPG
    IMG_3407ao.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3633ao.JPG
    IMG_3633ao.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 63
First visit for a couple of weeks to Washington WWT this morning;
Blackcap, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff & Willow Warbler still singing in various parts of the reserve, drake Gadwall on Sandpiper Pool, Wader Lake very active with the Avocet pair the proud parents of two chicks :t: & interestingly a third adult bird has appeared (maybe a failed breeder from another locality?), a pair of Shoveler, 6 Redshank, 2 pair of Oystercatcher but now only one chick, 1 Little Ringed Plover, juvenile Pied Wagtail, lots of Common Tern & many of the regulars - Grey Heron, Greylag Geese, Canada Geese (with young), Shelduck, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Moorhen, Lapwing (with young), Black-headed Gull, Jackdaw & Swallow.

Hi All,

Had a smashing day at Teeside today, started on the lane marked 'teesmouth bird club' opposite Saltholme, got some nice shots of Red Damsels and a rather attractive caterpillar. Saw a Sedge Warbler but he would not show himself to have his photo taken. Went up to Bus Stop hide and met with Scuzz, had a great chat and saw both pairs of Avocets with 3 visible chicks each. Greenshank also on view along with some Terns, a Little Ringed Plover and a brief appearence of a Yellow Wagtail on the island.

A few from Teesside on Saturday, I think Degsy & IanF have covered the bird life on the day.
Nice meeting You again Derek, enjoyed the crack and I see you managed an excellent shot of the swift :t:. I managed 2 or three keepers.
When you left, the sun did return but the swifts went awol, just my luck :C.

Attachments

• _MG_2751.jpg
    _MG_2751.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_8834.jpg
    _MG_8834.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_8923.jpg
    _MG_8923.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 48
  • _MG_8939.jpg
    _MG_8939.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_8988.jpg
    _MG_8988.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 49
Just missed you yesterday, Ian but was nice to talk to Derek and Scuzz. Was hoping to get better shots of the avocet chicks but they were on the opposite shore most of the time. Still it was a great day for my Grandson, Frankie - 4 lifers for him, Avocet, Greenshank, Yellow wagtail and L.R.Plover, mind he's only six so some way to go yet!

Got better shots of sedge warblers at Dormans pool on Thursday where adults were furiously feeding young. Also a shot of a whitethroat grossly overexposed but recovered in Photoshop to give quite a nice effect with the greenery in front of the bird.

Attachments

• _10U5634.jpg
    _10U5634.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 49
  • _10U5428.jpg
    _10U5428.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 50
  • _10U5486.jpg
    _10U5486.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 56
  • _10U5507.jpg
    _10U5507.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 73
Hi Scuzz & Renton,
Yes it was great to meet you guy's at the 'Bus Stop' Hide, shame we missed Ian, it would have been nice to put another face to the name. Anyway i thoroughly enjoyed the crack and the views, it's what really makes this hobby a pleasure. By the way, great pictures both of you - makes me more determined to get myself a long focal length lens. :eek!:

Last edited:
Hi Scuzz & Renton,
Yes it was great to meet you guy's at the 'Bus Stop' Hide, shame we missed Ian, it would have been nice to put another face to the name. Anyway i thoroughly enjoyed the crack and the views, it's what really makes this hobby a pleasure. By the way, great pictures both of you - makes me more determined to get myself a long focal length lens. :eek!:

You'll also require a wheel barrow to lug It arround ;).

Had a look along to Hurworth Burn this evening. Just one LEO seen in flight and another heard 'barking' so may have hatchlings. This time last year they were already fledging.

Plenty of birds along the cutting - Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Yellowhammer and Long Tailed Tit all calling. A few young Blue Tit and Great Tit. Jay seen on four occasions but possibly just one or two birds. Oystercatcher, Lapwing and Curlew in the fields alongside. Tawny Owl calling from by the farm.

Kinninvie

Beautiful morning in Teesdale again, pair of buzzards that were interupted by a 3rd buzzard which after some displaying got chased of by the regular pair. Heard an unusual bird sound from the wood and and went to investigate, and surprised to see 5 crossbills, managed a couple of pics before they flew and went further up the wood - didnt find them again tho. Also a Green Woodpecker was present in the wood all morning, although I only managed a quick glimpse. Also GS woodpecker, siskin, plenty of wrens - but still no Spotted Flycatchers - very strange.

Attachments

• crossbill2web.jpg
    crossbill2web.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 91
  • buzzardweb.jpg
    buzzardweb.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back