• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

A couple from Hartlepool/Teesside this morning.

On the grassed areas at the Headland at High tide were Knots, redshank, oyster catchers and turnstones which were flushed regular by walkers.

Between the piers: quite a few eider in amongst the gulls and comorants/shags, also rock pipit, turnstones and redshank.

Newburn Bridge: The usual redshank, turnstone, knots, purple sandpiper, oyster catchers, ringed plover and a couple of sanderling.
For those wishing to photograph the birds here, as It's a big tide, they are being pushed further onto the rocks nearer the wall at high tide:t:.

Jacksons landing: At least 12 RB Merganser, 1 cormorant and the normal gulls.
The mergansers kept to the middle of the marina.

North Gare & Znkwks Road produced virtually nothing other than 1 stonechat, magpie, a few mallards and the bonus, yet again was the resident Kestrel which sat for a good 5 mins, and got within 15ft away from it :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_1433.jpg
    _MG_1433.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_1547.jpg
    _MG_1547.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_1552.jpg
    _MG_1552.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_1582.jpg
    _MG_1582.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_1765.jpg
    _MG_1765.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 66
A couple from Hartlepool/Teesside this morning.

On the grassed areas at the Headland at High tide were Knots, redshank, oyster catchers and turnstones which were flushed regular by walkers.

Between the piers: quite a few eider in amongst the gulls and comorants/shags, also rock pipit, turnstones and redshank.

Newburn Bridge: The usual redshank, turnstone, knots, purple sandpiper, oyster catchers, ringed plover and a couple of sanderling.
For those wishing to photograph the birds here, as It's a big tide, they are being pushed further onto the rocks nearer the wall at high tide:t:.

Jacksons landing: At least 12 RB Merganser, 1 cormorant and the normal gulls.
The mergansers kept to the middle of the marina.

North Gare & Znkwks Road produced virtually nothing other than 1 stonechat, magpie, a few mallards and the bonus, yet again was the resident Kestrel which sat for a good 5 mins, and got within 15ft away from it :t:.

There Knot bad shots.:t:

I know I just hope I see them.
Where exactly am I going to see then?
For example what is the place like?

Nice birds, shame about the place.......Its a dump.

JBee said:
Numbers still growing there then.
Two days ago scuzz and I estimated between 150 - 200 in that same tree.
Flock seemed often to split into two groups...<snip>....

Counted 268 perched in 2 large trees just before the Sparrowhawk arrived...just looked at some pics & video i took & there was probably 400 all told.
The Sorbus berries will be all but gone by the end of Friday, but there were some other Cotoneasters in streets close by & near the terminal entrance.
I should think there'll still be at least some Waxwings there 2moro.

Noticed quite a few berried trees & shrubs near Washington fire station, last weekend, west of Seven Houses (West of Nissan site)....

------------------------------------

H'Burn
11-12GCGrebe 9Geye 74Wigeon 2PFGoose 3Heron 3Snipe 1Lapwing 170Greylags 4Tree Sparrow 200Starling 50Fieldfare 50Redwing 30Blackbird 3Willow Tit 11Goldcrest 1Chiffchaff 2GSW 2Jay 9Bullfinch 1Treecreeper

Crookfoot
5-6GCGrebe 8-9Geye 5Shoveller 120Greylag 300mixed gulls 3+TreeSpar

Seaton Pond
Barn Owl reported out hunting nr Seaton Bank Top mobbed by 3 crows @14:00 1Barnacle Goose prGadwall 1Geye prStonechat 11Partridge

Steve

Arctic Rainton Meadows

Popped over around 10:30 this morning for 3 hours, bumped into SE with a little "Jack Snipe" straddling his neck, also bumped into "Hils" nice to put a face to the name on forum, by the way I did get the scope sorted out Hils.
I agree with you Andy at first not a lot about on JP site, the odd Redwing x 5, LTT x 4 in the trees at far end of site near the stile, and Pochard x 3, Little Grebe x 5 on the pond itself along with the usual Gulls and waterfowl, although a Grey Heron did fly in as I left for main area of Rainton Meadows.
The only pond of any interest was Pond 2 Gadwal x 4, Canada Geese x c40, Teal x c20, Pochard x 2, Lapwing x 4 on pontoon.
Just as I was about to leave Common Snipe x 15 flew onto the pond edge on far side opposite hide, on leaveing hide Meadow Pipit x 2 perched on side fencing. So things did start looking up

Barn Owl leaving roost at 16:20 & hunting at 270 m/asl in the west of the County.

Also nearby 12 Buzzards on the wing together as late as 4pm, plus 1 Red Kite, 4Kestrel, 2Sparrowhawk, 1 Peregrine etc.

Another moor had 5Kestrel & a Short-eared Owl hunting at 2pm
Roadside male Stonechat at 390m/asl

#########################

Excellent local record of DB Brent Goose at Houghton today.:t:

Steve

Washington WWT
c50 Barnacle Geese over South-East @1240 anyone else see these?
3 Shelduck
150+ Teal WWT report 225+ on 17th
1pr Goldeneye on the Wear
2 each of GS Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Treecreeper & Jay.

Noticed quite a few berried trees & shrubs near Washington fire station, last weekend, west of Seven Houses (West of Nissan site)....

Enormous crop of berries, as yet undiscovered by many birds, along Pattinson Road, south of WWWT.
Will divert this way to/from work next week ;)

Thankyou to those who posted information about the Waxwings. We dropped in today to see them. Very nice. There were 150-odd in the trees just behind the co-op on Abbey Drive about midday today just hanging out twittering. Couldn't see any sign of berries remaining anywhere; a few had yellow berries in their beaks but don't know where they got those from...

Returned to Hartlepool/Teesside today, mainly to take a few pics of the rough seas, but couldn't resist afew bird shots.

Pretty much the same, bird wise on the headland and between the piers with a lot more eider and purple sandpipers between the piers.

Still at least 12 RB Merganser at jacksons landing with about 40 GBB gulls on the roof of the old shopping complex.

North Gare: 20 wigeon, 12 teal, small flock of about 15 curlew, 4 shoveler and the resident kestrel.

Only 1 grey heron and 1 pheasant seen up Znkwks Road.

Attachments

• _MG_1960.jpg
    _MG_1960.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_2024.jpg
    _MG_2024.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_2068.jpg
    _MG_2068.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_2099.jpg
    _MG_2099.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_2109.jpg
    _MG_2109.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 49
Thankyou to those who posted information about the Waxwings. We dropped in today to see them. Very nice. There were 150-odd in the trees just behind the co-op on Abbey Drive about midday today just hanging out twittering. Couldn't see any sign of berries remaining anywhere; a few had yellow berries in their beaks but don't know where they got those from...

Hi jonny
Welcome to the forum
pleased you saw the Waxwings !
is that Co-op at Jarrow ?
cheers
Steve

Neil said:
Enormous crop of berries, as yet undiscovered by many birds, along Pattinson Road, south of WWWT.
Will divert this way to/from work next week

How do Neil
are these on main road ? or off the beaten track ?
S

Last edited:
There Cold in them there Hills

Popped over around 10:30 this morning for 3 hours, bumped into SE with a little "Jack Snipe" straddling his neck, also bumped into "Hils" nice to put a face to the name on forum,

Arctic RM's ? - Den it had warmed up by the time you got down ;)
You shoulda been up the tops this afternoon...
A local-yokel ambled up to us at dusk " yull nod bee loosin much sweat th' day " - No we didnt lose any sweat bcos it had frozen whilst in our armpits...

On a serious-er note - this afternoons field grazing DB Brent Goose may well have moved to RMs to roost....

How do Neil
are these on main road ? or off the beaten track ?
S

All on the main road Steve, mostly on the Western side as you drive along Pattinson Road to/from the WWWT. These bushes are normally full of Redwings & Blackies but its pretty quiet at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back