• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

A single flock of 1,000 Starlings were very much a surprise to watch as they flew strongly WEST up over the middle of Baldersdale Reservoir at 3:20 this afternoon.......
Where on earth where they heading - hardly a tree to be seen & Next Stop CUMBRIA........

If they were flying purposefully up out of the valley in such a large flock, then they were surely heading to roost....
But why set off to roost when theres still an hour & a half till dark . . . ?
They were heading NW. . . . .
Its approx 70km to Greta.... surely not. . . . ? :eek!:

I was at Gretna for the roost last weekend, and birds started turning up at around 16.10, and continued arriving for over an hour. Given the distance and timing, I think it quite possible that your birds were heading there. Gretna is 'home' to an estimated million or so Starlings, so the catchment area must be huge.

Steve.

I had a good look around Greenabella Marsh this morning.

A great find by new BF member Miya from Hartlepool - a pair of Barn Owl. Even better they've been daylight hunting the last 2-3 days. Apparently no sign yesterday when it was bright and sunny but in the dull weather this morning two were out from around 8:30am. I arrived around 10:15am to find one still hunting. It seemed to be making plenty of kills. By just standing still on the path it came hunting within 20m at times. Last seen at 11:00am when it went to ground in the rough grass by a reed bed and didn't appear again. By the sounds of it they're roosting in the old ships in Able UK.

Also otter x2 being seen most nights.

Of course it was only once the owls had gone to roost that the sun came out.

Other birds seen - Skylark x2, Meadow Pipit x1, Stonechat x1, Shelduck x4, RB Merganser x6, Black-tailed Godwit c.30, Bar-tailed Godwit x3, Curlew c.100, Redshank c.100, Grey Plover x4, Little Grebe x1, Teal c.40, Wigeon c.60, Kestrel x1. Greylag Goose c.50.

No sign of any Twite today and only distant views of SEO x1.

Photos: Barn Owl

Attachments

• IMG_9415ao.JPG
    IMG_9415ao.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9419ao.JPG
    IMG_9419ao.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9430ao.JPG
    IMG_9430ao.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9436aao.JPG
    IMG_9436aao.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9435aao.JPG
    IMG_9435aao.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 83
I had a good look around Greenabella Marsh this morning.

A great find by new BF member Miya from Hartlepool - a pair of Barn Owl. Even better they've been daylight hunting the last 2-3 days. Apparently no sign yesterday when it was bright and sunny but in the dull weather this morning two were out from around 8:30am. I arrived around 10:15am to find one still hunting. It seemed to be making plenty of kills. By just standing still on the path it came hunting within 20m at times. Last seen at 11:00am when it went to ground in the rough grass by a reed bed and didn't appear again. By the sounds of it they're roosting in the old ships in Able UK.

Also otter x2 being seen most nights.

Of course it was only once the owls had gone to roost that the sun came out.

Other birds seen - Skylark x2, Meadow Pipit x1, Stonechat x1, Shelduck x4, RB Merganser x6, Black-tailed Godwit c.30, Bar-tailed Godwit x3, Curlew c.100, Redshank c.100, Grey Plover x4, Little Grebe x1, Teal c.40, Wigeon c.60, Kestrel x1. Greylag Goose c.50.

No sign of any Twite today and only distant views of SEO x1.

Photos: Barn Owl

what great pictures ian, hopefully the weather will be ok tomorrow and theyl be about, probably my favorite bird out them all

DS

Walk round Hetton Lyons area today:

Up the old railway line very little seen apart from blackbirds, magpies, crows and 1 yellow hammer.
Through Car House farm, much the same with couple of house sparrow and large flock of about 200 wood pigeon.
Only 1 crow, 5 blackbirds and 1 moorehen for the rest of the walk to Epleton farm.
On passing through the farm area noticed little owl, managed one shot before being flushed by a crow, the little owl flew further along the wall then sat as if hiding behind the wall.
Nothing more until the Lyons ponds where we saw the usual BH gulls, mallards, coots, moorehens, Tufties etc and a couple of mute swans.

Highlight of the walk being the little owl :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_8233.jpg
    _MG_8233.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_8235.jpg
    _MG_8235.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_8260.jpg
    _MG_8260.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_8263.jpg
    _MG_8263.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_8266.jpg
    _MG_8266.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 63
Though I would put a caption on the photo you took Scuzz, just a little bit of fun. I hope you don't mind.:t:

Attachments

• Scuzz's Little Owl.jpg
    Scuzz's Little Owl.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 153
It seemed to be making plenty of kills. By just standing still on the path it came hunting within 20m at times.

I'm interested Ian did you note prey or simply see the Owl make a kill attempt? There seems to be many daylight hunting Barn Owls around in NE at the moment and I am working on a piece about the possibility of this being a low point in the Vole cycle for Bird North East.

I'm interested Ian did you note prey or simply see the Owl make a kill attempt? There seems to be many daylight hunting Barn Owls around in NE at the moment and I am working on a piece about the possibility of this being a low point in the Vole cycle for Bird North East.

Lol! It's the first one I've seen locally in daylight. There's been quite a few reports in my area of them being around after dusk though.

If it dived down and then straight up it obviously missed but 4-5 times it spent 5-10 minutes on the ground. On one occasion right in front of where I was stood. It was definitely eating something but the rough grass is too deep to say what.

A pair were in this same area last winter but only for about one week.

It's surprising there's any voles left considering the number of SEO that have been around. Two are still in this area. I saw one about 150m from the Barn Owl.

Do you think it's a low point in the cycle or just that owls tend to hunt a different area each winter? We always seem to get a few SEO and Barn Owl each winter but it's only every 4-5 years we get them in good numbers of SEO as in 15-20.

Attachments

• IMG_9407ao.JPG
    IMG_9407ao.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9408ao.JPG
    IMG_9408ao.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for the reply Ian. I've noticed reports in the last few days of Barn Owls daylight hunting from Longhoughton,Boulmer,East Chevington,Cresswell & Ulgham as well as your birds. Numbers of SEO in region seem light but there is another explanation for this (see post next week)

Thanks for the reply Ian. I've noticed reports in the last few days of Barn Owls daylight hunting from Longhoughton,Boulmer,East Chevington,Cresswell & Ulgham as well as your birds. Numbers of SEO in region seem light but there is another explanation for this (see post next week)

I'm intrigued as to why - but I'll be patient ;)

I'd say we've still got around 8-10 between Seaton Carew and Haverton Hill but spread out in groups of 1-2 mostly though 3-4 around Haverton Hill. Not bad numbers but not in a large group as they sometimes are.

A few people have requested a few more photos of the Barn Owl.

One was seen yesterday morning in the same area and one reported in the evening by RSPB Saltholme/Firestation - possibly another one.

My wife also saw a Barn Owl last night around midnight A689/A19 on her way home from work. Possibly one of the Wynyard ones that have been around the old Samsung factory area for several years now.

Attachments

• IMG_9432ao.JPG
    IMG_9432ao.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9358ao.JPG
    IMG_9358ao.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9364ao.JPG
    IMG_9364ao.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9367bo.JPG
    IMG_9367bo.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9423aao.JPG
    IMG_9423aao.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 98
This one is a bit comical looking.

I think it was too busy watching for prey and got hung up on a twig! 8-P

It got free and continued hunting as if nothing had happened.

Attachments

• IMG_9341bo.JPG
    IMG_9341bo.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 135
CROSSBiLL

crossbill

out walking with dog today came accross crossbill 2 males and one female....in my lacal patch first ive seen crossbill so im very happy and very happy to find in my local patch...

Rainton Meadows: Bullfinch, Blackbird, Mute Swan, Mallard, Coot, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Pochard, Goosander, Woodpigeon, Wren (heard), Chaffinch, Siskin, Pheasant, Goldeneye, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Redshank, Greylag Geese, and Lapwing.
Ian also saw Water Rail.

If anyone is look for some good photographs of Goosander Chester park river is one good place to get close views of these birds. The drakes seem to outnumber the females.
I am down on my sixth from free periods and they are usually there and show well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back