• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (1 Viewer)

Durham Bird Club Field Trip

Lauriston and WWT Caerlaverock
Sunday 22 February 2009

Pick up points are the usual -
Sherburn 8.00am
Durham 8.10am
Heworth 8.45am

Book as usual by contacting John Todd ( contact details in the Lek).
NB The approximate cost of £18 does not include entry to WWT Caerlaverock although entry is free to members of WWT.

Last edited:
Hartlepool Headland - pm - nothing really of note. Turnstone, Purple Sandpiper, Oystercatcher, Eider, Shag, Cormorant, Redshank x3. Rock Pipit x2.

Main attraction was the French aircraft carrier being towed into Seal Sands.

Jacksons Landing - RB Merganser x3, Little Grebe x1, Shag x2, Cormorant x3, Turnstone c.12.

Newburn Bridge - Oysteractacher, Med. Gull x1, Turnstone, Sanderling c.60, Knot c.30, Ringed Plover c.12, Redshank c.12, Purple Sandpiper x3.

Of note were two colour ringed Sanderling - looks like one was ringed in 1994 and the other 2001 both ringed on Teesmouth - I've sent of the reports for precise details.

Photos - 1. Rock Pipit - 2. Red-breasted Merganser - 3. Red Knot - 4.& 5. Sanderling

Attachments

• IMG_5051ao.JPG
    IMG_5051ao.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5214ao.JPG
    IMG_5214ao.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5457ao.JPG
    IMG_5457ao.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5480ao.JPG
    IMG_5480ao.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5547ao.JPG
    IMG_5547ao.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 70
Waxwings and Red Kites

Had a trip up to Geordieland to see the Waxwings at Birtley then onto the Red Kites at Sherburn Towers.
I was disgruntled to hear that someone was trying to mist net the Waxwings - Why I cannot fathom - we know they come from Scandinavia and Russia to feed on our berries in the winter - what can the BTO hope to achieve by stressing a large flock of Waxwings - leave them be!! I know a place at Catterick Garrison where they mist net virtually every weekend - they must catch the same birds over and over again - its ridiculous and all in the name of conservation - IT MUST STOP!:C. Thought that I was the only birdwatcher thinking this way - but apparently not>

Attachments

• Waxwing1-.jpg
    Waxwing1-.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 73
  • waxwing2web.jpg
    waxwing2web.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 73
Bowsfield Marsh yesterday morning:

Most of the ponds were frozen with the exception of the odd break in the Ice, which worked to our advantage.
Swans, shoveler, pochard, gadwall, goldeneye, mallard, coots, grey heron, crows, BH & common gulls etc and kestrel being mobed by the gulls.

Attachments

• _74H0714.jpg
    _74H0714.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 72
  • _74H0722.jpg
    _74H0722.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 73
  • _74H0777.jpg
    _74H0777.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 74
  • _74H0780.jpg
    _74H0780.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 68
  • _74H0816.jpg
    _74H0816.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 74
A few from our return journey along the coast yesterday.

1. Lapwing at North Gare.
2. Red Shank at North Gare.
3. Med, Gull at Newburn Bridge.
4. Purple Sandpiper at Hartlepool Headland.
5. Eider at Hartlepool Headland.

Attachments

• _74H0871.jpg
    _74H0871.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 58
  • _74H0874.jpg
    _74H0874.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 63
  • _74H0897.jpg
    _74H0897.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 81
  • _74H0996.jpg
    _74H0996.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 73
  • _74H1029.jpg
    _74H1029.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 76
Does anyone know anything about the ringer catching the Waxwings at Birtley on Sunday?*Apparently he was acting very suspiciously and may have not been a bona-fide ringer. A local asked what he was doing and he said he was a BTO official but left quite quickly after that. She thought he was catching them perhaps as cagebirds.

Due to the HAWful weather me and taxi (Dad, who I am very greatful to for taking me all these places) decided not to go to Croxdale for the Hawfinch. Maybe I shall go next week. Not been out birding today though! :( Not to worry. Really looking forward to Calaverock with the bird club this month.
Hi Andrew
I had 3 Hawfinch at Croxdale on Sunday in large trees next to the Hall. Best time to go for them is 11am - 12noon normally and the birds on Sunday turned up at 11am on the dot. Also had Dipper on the river and a variety of commoner birds (Bullfinch, GS Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Sp hawk etc). I've had Kfisher, Goosander, Grey Wag, Little Owl in the past too.
Cracking site with some good walking beyond the Hall.
Andy

Hi Andrew
I had 3 Hawfinch at Croxdale on Sunday in large trees next to the Hall. Best time to go for them is 11am - 12noon normally and the birds on Sunday turned up at 11am on the dot. Also had Dipper on the river and a variety of commoner birds (Bullfinch, GS Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Sp hawk etc). I've had Kfisher, Goosander, Grey Wag, Little Owl in the past too.
Cracking site with some good walking beyond the Hall.
Andy

Many reports from Alnwick this winter ?

A new garden tick this morning - Brambling - spotted by Marmot.

We had an influx of Chaffinch with 12-15 males plus accompanying partners. in amongst them was a single male Brambling. It only stopped by for a couple of minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_5686ao.JPG
    IMG_5686ao.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 89
A new garden tick this morning - Brambling - spotted by Marmot.

We had an influx of Chaffinch with 12-15 males plus accompanying partners. in amongst them was a single male Brambling. It only stopped by for a couple of minutes.

That`s a beauty Ian.Next time he turns up send him up to my garden will you please :-O.

Graham

Bird Deaths

Some staggering info from an Ameican survey on bird deaths in America (figures are yearly totals).
COMMUNICATION TOWERS-40 MILLION
PESTICIDES -74 MILLION
HOUSE CATS/FERAL CATS- 365 MILLION
GLASS WINDOWS -100 MILLION TO 1 BILLION
LOSS OF HABITAT-UNKNOWN

The house cats figure is some what disturbing! If people put a bell of some sort on there cats these deaths could be prevented or almost certainly lowered.

Hawfinch

One at Low Barns feeding station at 11am on Sunday. Was showing for about 30 seconds before being disturbed by dog walkers (did not show for another hour after that).

Staff are working on re-positioning the feeding station and feeding station currently has no cover, but still might be worth watching.

Attachments

• Hawfinch@LowBarns6491_080209.jpg
    Hawfinch@LowBarns6491_080209.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 140
Fieldfare Numbers

There are still quite large numbers of Fieldfare in the Murton area's. Today while over Dalton Retail Park a group of 60+ took flight from waste land near MacDonalds and flew south towards Easington/Peterlee. I have also sighted large numbers over the Seaton Pond and Dalton Moor area's in the last two weeks, this is the first year I know that they have hung around the area in large groups

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back