• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (7 Viewers)

Redhead Smew at Crookfoot Res this lunchtime but distant (in the channel). Great to see the Great Crested Grebes showing off to each other as well!

Spent a couple of hours in Teesdale today. Plenty of noisy lapwings, a few Curlew & Oystercatchers. A farmers field with a fair flock of Fieldfare :eat:,about 40 odd together with a couple of corn buntings. The best view I've had of some yet (had time to get my book out :-O).

Attachments

• Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Fieldfare.jpg
    Fieldfare.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Oystercatcher.jpg
    Oystercatcher.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 47
few pics from today bollihope area:t:

Attachments

• 29th march 2009 033.jpg
    29th march 2009 033.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 29th march 2009 062.jpg
    29th march 2009 062.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 29th march 2009 076.jpg
    29th march 2009 076.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 91
New to the forum.

Hi -everyone, have been watching the forum for some time now, I thought it was about time I joined in. Some of you may have seen me or the wife on your travels. We are based in the Tees Valley but occassionaly make incursions into the Durham area. Hope to see you around.

www.laplandmull.blogspot.com

Attachments

• wheatear1_1.jpg
    wheatear1_1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Avocet_1.jpg
    Avocet_1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Stonechat_1.jpg
    Stonechat_1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Mute Swan - landing_1.jpg
    Mute Swan - landing_1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi -everyone, have been watching the forum for some time now, I thought it was about time I joined in. Some of you may have seen me or the wife on your travels. We are based in the Tees Valley but occassionaly make incursions into the Durham area. Hope to see you around.

Welcome aboard :t:

You've been finding some great birds locally and taking some great photos of them :t:

Black Grouse - Emblem of the DBC

I have 2 recent reports of bird watchers leaving cars when visiting Black Grouse Leks in Co.Durham.
Its disappointing to hear their presence caused some of the cocks to break off from display.......

The RSPB gives advise on its website :t: :-
a link to a code can be found on this page:-
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/watchingbirds/grouse/blackgrouse.asp

DBC members should aim to follow the Clubs voluntary code - contained within the Black Grouse Site Guide on the website.

-----------------------------------------------

A quiet weekend on the Houghton Patch
A couple of White Wagtails & Green Sandpipers passing through

Attachments

• Blk_3.jpg
    Blk_3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DBC logo.jpg
    DBC logo.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Good to see another keen birder joining in.:t:
Think i spoke to you & the Mrs at the raised car park at Dormans - you'd just had one of the Barn Owls sail close by.

Welcome :hi:

Good to see the photo spectrum opening up.
Some nice photos on your blog as well. Have you met the friendly farmer yet?;)

Husband & wife team aay, can't be bad - keeping warm in the cold:kiss:, someone to make your sarnies up:eat:, someone to listen to when all's quiet;), no need for passouts & justifying optical expenses :storm:.................

Look forward to seeing some more from you:t:

I have 2 recent reports of bird watchers leaving cars when visiting Black Grouse Leks in Co.Durham.
There's no wonder birders get a bad name in other fraterneties. Only just recently I've heard a few accounts of nest disturbance, Bittern beating, & now this.:C
Looks like the Pareto principle applies to this pastime as well - 80% responsible & respectful, 10% learning but with caution & respect, the remaining 10% being damnright selfish morons who haven't got the sense to look through the narrow end of their binochulars for a closer look. Very dissappointing.

Its disappointing to hear their presence caused some of the cocks to break off from display.......
Had the subject not been serious, I wouldn't have been able to contain myself. In this case I've manged to refrain.:-C

local patch

Lamesley/Kibblesworth areas

5 Little Grebe, 1 Whooper Swan (over North @09:25 following the River Team), 3pr Shelduck, 1 Common Buzzard, 2 Red-legged Partridge, 1pr Oystercatcher, 5 Little Ringed Plover, 7 Snipe, 11 LBB Gull, 5 Sand Martin, 1 Green Woodpecker, 2 GS Woodpecker, 1 Wheatear, 12+ Chiffchaff, 2 Willow Tit, 2 Treecreeper, 2 Jay, 4 Tree Sparrow.

Washington WWT Website reports the return of the Avocet's for the fourth consecutive year :t:

There's no wonder birders get a bad name in other fraterneties. Only just recently I've heard a few accounts of nest disturbance, Bittern beating, & now this.:C
Looks like the Pareto principle applies to this pastime as well - 80% responsible & respectful, 10% learning but with caution & respect, the remaining 10% being damnright selfish morons who haven't got the sense to look through the narrow end of their binochulars for a closer look. Very dissappointing.

Had the subject not been serious, I wouldn't have been able to contain myself. In this case I've manged to refrain.:-C

Andy
This "Black Grouse Lek" topic, is a bit more subtle in nature than some of the previous blunderings we've read about.....

Hopefully by bringing up these issues & by pointing people to relevant information, then they can make informed & responsible decisions.

(someone else sent me a message about things breaking off up Teesdale - i know its cold but surely not that cold !:eek!: )

----------------------------------

Again very little migrant activity round Houghton.
A Buzzard moved north, presumably on passage & a couple of pairs of Gadwall fresh in.
I also had a parakeet flash by our garden while i had a bustard on the phone... just not quick enough to get to the bins....

NeilF said:
Lamesley/Kibblesworth areas
. . . < snip > . . .
Washington WWT Website reports the return of the Avocet's for the fourth consecutive year
Nice patch you've got there Neil...
Hard to believe its 4 year - i have a cunning plan in store to get those black & white beauties on my Houghton Patch list.......:smoke:

Last edited:

Hard to believe its 4 year - i have a cunning plan in store to get those black & white beauties on my Houghton Patch list.......:smoke:

Walk up to Penshaw Monument and scope the WWWT birds? ;) does that count?
I (very) recently extended my 3 mile local patch to 5 kilometres just to keep the EU happy, complete coincidence that it now includes Herrington CP and a certain flock of big white birds ;)
What became of the rumour that one of RM's pool's was to have its water level lowered to attract more waders? It's not being pumped into wader lake by any chance :-O

Walk up to Penshaw Monument and scope the WWWT birds? ;) does that count?
Guessed it in one :smoke:

Neil said:
I (very) recently extended my 3 mile local patch to 5 kilometres just to keep the EU happy, complete coincidence that it now includes Herrington CP and a certain flock of big white birds ;)
5km does seem a popular limit ;)

Neil said:
What became of the rumour that one of RM's pool's was to have its water level lowered to attract more waders? It's not being pumped into wader lake by any chance :-O
Just wish that place had as many birds as it had rumours...;)
ps - if want want the full SP on the water, just check CW's wellies & 25litre flask next time you see him at WWWWWT.
:flyaway:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back