• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (11 Viewers)

Hartlepool Headland - pm - Woodchat Shrike still present and showing nicely in the brighter conditions in the Croft and Putting Green. Several Blackcaps around as well.

Lots of birds in the trees by the Town Hall including - Yellow-browed Warbler, Pied Flycatcher, Goldcrests, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff.

Attachments

• IMG_4520ao.jpg
    IMG_4520ao.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4541ao.jpg
    IMG_4541ao.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4880ao.jpg
    IMG_4880ao.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5100ao.jpg
    IMG_5100ao.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4930a.jpg
    IMG_4930a.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 91
Please note that if you are not a member of the TBC you should not be on here anyway so you will also need to obey this......

TEMPORARY CESSATION OF TBC ACCESS TO THE RECLAMATION POND (added 01/10/10)

Impetus Reclamation Limited have informed the Club that they intend to start work on the infilling of the first three phases of the Reclamation Pond on Monday 4th October 2010. On and from this date there will be strictly no access to the Reclamation Pond by vehicle or on foot, nor will there be any access to the mound bordering the western side. Large earthmoving machinery will be employed over the next few months to move thousands of cubic metres of material to form the development platform for two new energy plants, one by Eon (formerly the Thor site) and the other by Air Products Limited (an energy from waste plant). The site will be subject to the 'Construction(Design and Management) Regulations 2007' and as such will be very strictly controlled for Health and Safety reasons. Impetus have stated that they are having to deny access simply because of risks to members and they cannot have people accessing the site when large machinery is in operation. Even official operational staff visiting the site will have to sign in and out and have H & S inductions, as the work will be so dangerous. The 'red line' for the limit of the CDM Regulations will be the base of the mound on the west (Dormans Pool) side, which means that members will not be permitted to climb up the mound and view the Reclamation Pond from the top. Signs will be put up warning of this. Impetus have made it quite clear that there is to be no flexibility or leniency in view of the high risk nature of the works and any member transgressing the ban will significantly risk the Club losing its future access to the residual Reclamation Pond and its current access to Dormans Pool. This restriction is expected to be in place for 2-3 months, after which access will be resumed to TBC members to the remaining water body. The site has been jointly inspected by Impetus, Natural England and RSPB to ensure that it is 'safe' to commence work from a bird point of view. During the ban, TBC members may still access Dormans Pool upper and lower car parks as normal.

Impetus have assured us that the written agreement made with TBC under the former Thor project to provide a new hide and access track at the Reclamation Pond and a new hide and the resurfacing of the access tracks at Dormans Pool will be honoured and will probably be undertaken while machinery is on site as the development platform is constructed.

Members will recall from past Newsletters that this day was always going come and, in fact, should have commenced in 2008 but was postponed for financial reasons. Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council has earmarked the Reclamation Pond as development land for heavy industrial use and, despite the Club's earlier opposition, it was realised that there was nothing we could do to prevent it, so the next best alternative was to secure as much environmental gain as possible. In this pursuit, we believe we have been successful.

It cannot be overstated how important it is for members to honour this temporary ban. If there are any transgressions then we are at serious risk of having our Access Licence Agreement terminated for good. Please pass this information on to other members who you know visit the site.

Poles apart

It was a pleasure to be in such amiable company this morning as a band of Durham birders carried telegraph poles through the countryside.

Fences nor ditches were barrier enough for these (environ)mental warriors as they hauled themselves, their tools & barrows through the clarts.

Great Team effort lads, see you at the next ones :t:

If any readers think they may have a suitable Co.Durham location for a Barn owl box or 2, please get in touch.

Attachments

• Pole_2nd_OCT_2010-002.gif
    Pole_2nd_OCT_2010-002.gif
    200.8 KB · Views: 146
  • BO_David-Kay-2010.gif
    BO_David-Kay-2010.gif
    232.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Pole-not-Dole_2nd_OCT_2010-.gif
    Pole-not-Dole_2nd_OCT_2010-.gif
    215.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DBAP BO BOX PROJECT_.doc
    127.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Saltholme

Back Saltholme - 2 Little Stint, 10 Ruff, 4 Dunlin

Wildlife Watchpoint - 1 Little Egret, 1 Snipe

Attachments

• little stint1_edited-1.jpg
    little stint1_edited-1.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 117
  • little stint_edited-1.jpg
    little stint_edited-1.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 98
Hartlepool Headland - pm - Yellow-browed Warbler, Goldcrest 2-3, Willow Warbler 3-4 in trees by the Borough Hall.

Woodchat Shrike in the Croft/Putting Green - Video clip - Video clip 2

Snow Bunting & Wheatear by the tennis courts behind Heugh Battery.

Attachments

• IMG_5329ao.jpg
    IMG_5329ao.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5604bo.jpg
    IMG_5604bo.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5647ao.jpg
    IMG_5647ao.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6003aoo.jpg
    IMG_6003aoo.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5494bbo.jpg
    IMG_5494bbo.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 110
DBC Castle Lake NR

A few digiscoped duffers from this morning;

Attachments

• 03102010 002.jpg
    03102010 002.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 03102010 009.jpg
    03102010 009.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 03102010 010.jpg
    03102010 010.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 111
Hartlepool Headland - pm - Woodchat Shrike still present. Very little else about - only a few Dunnock and Sparrows. No sign of any warblers or even tits when I was there.

Newburn Bridge - Med. Gull, Guillemot, Sanderling c.40, Ringed Plover c.40, Knot c.12, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Redshank, Cormorant, Grey Plover x1.

Attachments

• IMG_7055a.jpg
    IMG_7055a.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7231a.jpg
    IMG_7231a.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7326a.jpg
    IMG_7326a.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7343a.jpg
    IMG_7343a.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7311a.jpg
    IMG_7311a.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for your help with the Shrike Ian!! I found it no problem.

Attachments

• Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 2 BF.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 2 BF.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 3 BF.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 3 BF.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 5 BF.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 5 BF.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 7 BF.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike, Hartlepool 7 BF.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for your help with the Shrike Ian!! I found it no problem.

Glad to hear it was still there for you and posing nicely for photos :t:

RSPB Saltholme - am - Saltholme Hide - Curlew Sandpiper x1, Dunlin c.12, Black-tailed Godwit x7, Little Egret x4, Pintail x4, Redshank c.8, Golden Plover c.300 tho. report of around 1200 towards Port Clarence flashes, Snipe x6, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel seen from hide area.

Wildlife Watchpoint nothing of note and little of anything at all now it's flooded out, likewise Bottom Tank.

Seaton Common - c.6.00pm - Short-eared Owl. Lots of Curlew around c.100 of which at least five were colour ringed.

It's felt very strange watching a Woodchat Shrike in this country and being the only birder there. Apart from my wife that is, she spotted it before me. :-C

My Dad did something sililar last year in Lothian. I was scanning into the distance on the see to try and locate a Red-necked Grebe and my Dad said "What's these here?", they were right in close. Took one look "Red-necked Grebe":-O

Glad you saw the Woodchat Shrike, its a really popular bird a friend from Wales is coming up to see it tomorrow if its still there.:t:

Evening fellas. I am hoping to be able to get away from work tomorrow in time to try for the Woodchat Shrike. I wondered if anyone would be able to tell me the best place to view the bird from as I have never been to the headland before and so am unfamiliar with "the croft".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Evening fellas. I am hoping to be able to get away from work tomorrow in time to try for the Woodchat Shrike. I wondered if anyone would be able to tell me the best place to view the bird from as I have never been to the headland before and so am unfamiliar with "the croft".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It's easy enough to find - just head for Hartlepool Headland.

The Woodchat Shrike has been pretty consistent staying in the same location for the last week now. Mostly it's been in what are called the Croft Gardens - arrow marks the spot - though sometimes it crosses over the small road to the west onto a narrow strip of grass called the 'putting green'. There's loads of roadside parking there.

It was there again today and still giving very close views. If it's warm and sunny then just check the hebe's - the small dark green leaved bushes with short spikes of blue flowers. They're covered in flies and bees on which it's been feeding. When not feeding it rests in any of the small holly, willow, sycamore trees though in the Croft one of it's favourite perches is in the holly or sycamore in the NE corner.

Dormans Pool - am - top car park - Cetti's Warbler x1, Goldfinch x15, Stonechat x2, Tree Sparrow x2. Water Rail 3-4 very vociferous all round the pool.

Back Saltholme from Petroplus - Golden Plover c.300.

Woodchat Shrike still present on The Headland this afternoon.

Newburn Bridge - pm - Knot c.30, Sanderling c.60, Ringed Plover c.60, Turnstone x8, Med. Gull.

Seaton Common - Peregrine x2 fighting and then hunting waders over the Common

Attachments

• IMG_7654a.jpg
    IMG_7654a.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7637a.jpg
    IMG_7637a.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7818a.jpg
    IMG_7818a.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8211a.jpg
    IMG_8211a.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8526a.jpg
    IMG_8526a.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 57
Barred Wobbler

Ladies/Gents - Sylvia nisoria has so far eluded me throughout my brief birding 'career'. The effort I have expended should have yielded a Barred Warbler tick before now, but alas no.

I am interested in the one on the entrance to a trattoria in North Dock, Sunderland.

Any advice on the location or anything else would be greatly appreciated before I have a wobbler.

The combination of a Lifer and the smell of garlic is very tempting! ;)

The Barred Warbler is right next to the marina the road i believe is called Harbour view its opposite a pub called the Harbour view also,you could either park down the bottom right next to the marina or perhaps better just park in one of the streets on the top and you'll see a sign straight opposite the Harbour view pub for the restruant,the sign is at the entrance to the path which is where i gather the bird is though I hear its proving quite elusive.

Noted. Thanks. I have a job-related trip south of the Tyne tomorrow so between the one I've just seen on Birdguides at Whitburn and the Sunderland one, I hope to 'score' tomorrow, weather permitting.

I saw the Woodchat Shrike yesterday on the Headland after getting HMS Severn sailing in. Saw a chap (with toddler in pushchair) in the gardens pointing his camera to the bushes, so slowed down and stopped to have a look. A couple of minutes wait and it came about 10 foot away, got some nice shots of it.

Today in my back garden after filling my feeders to the brim and watched for half an hour. Saw a family of Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Blue Tits, House Sparrows, Starlings, Robin, Wren and blackbirds, I could hear a warbler. Also my dad when he has been walking to work on a morning passing my house he has said he's heard an owl close to my garden.

Hi Hawklord
The way I got into Cleasby was down the quarry road between Stapleton and Cleasby on right hand side - it was gated but there was someone walking their dog down there so I just followed - there are anglers around the lakes and well worn paths. I don`t know of any other way.
There is also a footpath in cleasby village near the bus stop. Cleasby is underwatched, but has produced good birds such as lesser scaup, red footed falcon and leaches petrel.:cat: it is in north yorks and not durham!

Last edited:
Not that underwatched.

Juvenile Scaup there for the last 3 days....

As Black Kite suggests. Use the path near the bus stop in the village. Upsets the locals less.

Unfortunately there always seems to be some cock with a Carp tent there these days!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back