• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (1 Viewer)

Ray - 5 superb captures. I especially like the 4th one. Brilliant! :t:

Cheers Gordon :t:

Sparrow Hawk In garden this morning.

Attachments

• _MG_3112.jpg
    _MG_3112.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 133
  • _MG_3120.jpg
    _MG_3120.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 106
  • _MG_3129.jpg
    _MG_3129.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 101
  • _MG_3135.jpg
    _MG_3135.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 115
  • _MG_3139.jpg
    _MG_3139.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
no sign of Bittern from the hide at Rainton, untill just after 16:00
the front edge of the phragmite reedbed having 'collapsed' with the weight of snow.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

No sign of it at all between 10am and 3pm while I was there.
Most birds I have seen on the (partly frozen) lake for a long time though.
Anyone visiting the freezer for more than 10 minutes should go equipped with a full survival kit.

Waxwings Dalton Park

Waxwings 50 plus seen today on Green next to Dalton Park @ 14.30 today,believe this could be the first sighting for this area

A Sparrowhawk was back in our garden as well this afternoon. We've had a very pale brown backed one a couple of times over the last week but it always sits well under cover in a dense bush. A different one turned up today. I've not seen one with quite such a reddish brown front before. It seemed a little desperate for food as it chased after everything it thought moved. I'm sure it was chasing snow flakes at one point as all the birds had left the garden by then.

We've quite a good number of birds coming to the feeders greatly increased with the snow the last few days. Around 60+ birds at a time visiting the feeders with Goldfinch c.20, House Sparrow 20+, Chaffinch c.12, Greenfinch x6, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Robin, Dunnock and Blackbird.

BF TV Sparrowhawk video clip

Attachments

• IMG_9880a.jpg
    IMG_9880a.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0107a.jpg
    IMG_0107a.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0211a.jpg
    IMG_0211a.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 112
A Sparrowhawk was back in our garden as well this afternoon. We've had a very pale brown backed one a couple of times over the last week but it always sits well under cover in a dense bush. A different one turned up today. I've not seen one with quite such a reddish brown front before. It seemed a little desperate for food as it chased after everything it thought moved. I'm sure it was chasing snow flakes at one point as all the birds had left the garden by then.

We've quite a good number of birds coming to the feeders greatly incfreased with the snow the last few days. Around 60+ birds at a time visiting the feeders with Goldfinch c.20, House Sparrow 20+, Chaffinch c.12, Greenfinch x6, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Robin, Dunnock and Blackbird.

BF TV Sparrowhawk video clip

Ever tried feeding Sparrowhawk with raw chicken?

Garden Birds

Couple of hours in the garden today.

Good selection of birds including, Chaffinch, goldfinch, blackbird male & fem, blue, great and coal tit, wren, collard dove, wood pigeon, ferral pigeon, loads of dunnock & house sparrows, robin, starlings, jackdaws and a first for the garden when a common gull landed to feed amongst the starlings etc.

Only regular bird not seen was the Sparrow Hawk, having said that, there was only one goldfinch. Hope the hawk hasn't eaten the others.

Attachments

• _MG_2409.jpg
    _MG_2409.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 102
  • _MG_2481.jpg
    _MG_2481.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 96
  • _MG_2514.jpg
    _MG_2514.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 83
  • _MG_2659.jpg
    _MG_2659.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 88
  • _MG_2820.jpg
    _MG_2820.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 80
Few more.

Attachments

• _MG_2306.jpg
    _MG_2306.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 102
  • _MG_2342.jpg
    _MG_2342.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 91
  • _MG_2447.jpg
    _MG_2447.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 86
  • _MG_2593.jpg
    _MG_2593.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 89
  • _MG_3227.jpg
    _MG_3227.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 92
Rainton Bittern sunning itself early afternoon providing good photo opp for DA et al.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48181104@N06/5214750518/

I managed to get there for the last 30 mins of light & DM kindly back tracked through the 10" of snow, where i enjoyed brief scope views of it as a certain small person enjoyed throwing snow in my ear & face.

Despite my snowball launching imp, we had superb views of a Woodcock feeding amongst the trees, with Jack Snipe, Snipe & Woodcock all seen with ease as the light went around the pool 3/4 area.

A small wader, rushing about on the tiny ice free areas remained unidentified in the half light - hopefully a Sanderling, but perhaps just a Dunlin ?

Attachments

• iced28_NOV_2010pm-006.gif
    iced28_NOV_2010pm-006.gif
    148.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Had an excellent day in the snow today. Had a lovely walk around Hawthorn Dene with my brother, and we both felt like Bear Grylls! Highlights birdwise were a couple of Marsh Tits in the Tit flock, a few GS Woodies, loads of Redwings, 4 Nuthatches, a pair of Bullfinches, and a million Treecreepers. Admittedly, a million may be a slight exageration, but there were definately loads. We also noticed loads of Deer tracks.

Hoopoe in Durham

Birdguides are reporting a Hoopoe at County Hall in Durham for its
2nd day. Not exactly the first bird you think of in conditions like this !!!!
They say access is being sought. Better get there quick before it freezes to death.

They say access is being sought. Better get there quick before it freezes to death.

Its been taken into care. Its in a very poor way and probably won't survive. Sad times.

yeah, lets all ski over there & make sure we get it ticked off before it dies. sad ####s. :C

As some will know there's no bird I'd rather see but rushing to see it (and tick it)before it dies just doesn't seem quite right somehow. Very sad news though.

Waxwings

Saw 2 flocks of waxwings in Darlington, about 25 in Salters Lane almost opposite Harrowgate Hill Club in the tall trees. Also a flock of about 40 flew over my house on Harrowgate Farm. Looked like they were searching for somewhere to feed.
Couple of waxwing pics from yesterday from Billingham.

Attachments

• Waxwing1.jpg
    Waxwing1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Waxwing2.jpg
    Waxwing2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Waxwing3.jpg
    Waxwing3.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 100
Hoopoe

Shame about the hoopoe, just shows (like the squacco heron) that when a bird gets out of its range it really struggles - but its natures way.
Now I am not really a twitcher and don't know the rules but surely the hoopoe is now captive and can't be ticked - if this is not true then I know a few places that have captive birds.

Digging the car out of 5 days worth of snow was, to be honest, a bit mental seeing as the sole purpose for doing so was a visit to the Rainton Meadows freezer to see if I could get on the bittern which had given me the slip last week.
Once I had arrived and done my Scott of the Antarctic impersionation getting to the hide the first thing I spotted moving about in the reeds was the aformentioned bird.
Getting photos through the heavily falling snow was impossible but as the morning progressed the snow stopped and the sun broke cover intermittently.
Gary (agammyheron) turned up shortly after the bittern had been wandering about in the open but he didn't have to wait long for it to re-appear.
Great views.
At one point I was saying to Gary - the bird is going back into the reeds and Gary was saying - no it isn't it is sat out in the open.
No it's not said I - I'm photographing it going into the reeds at the moment.
It's definitley sat out in the open - I've got it in the scope - said Gary.
TWO BIRDS.
Once home I spotted both birds in one of the photos - unfortunatley I had been waiting for the bird to come out of the reeds and not noticed the second bird appearing into the left of frame.
Had I just caught it in the corner of my eye I could have got both in the frame properly.
This must have been the moment Gary and I were looking at different birds.
One of the bitterns has an easily spotted white feather on the left wing.
By the way Rainton locked the gates at 1.30pm because of the weather (pleased I'd had enough by then and was heading back to the car or else a long night at Rainton could have followed). It may be wise, if you intend going, to check with them to see if they are open - the road along to the centre is bad.

Attachments

• bittern-00079.jpg
    bittern-00079.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 184
  • bittern-00087.jpg
    bittern-00087.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 170
  • bittern-00089.jpg
    bittern-00089.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 170
  • bittern-00098.jpg
    bittern-00098.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 153
  • bittern-00107.jpg
    bittern-00107.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Just a few more

Attachments

• bittern-00109.jpg
    bittern-00109.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 172
  • bittern-00112.jpg
    bittern-00112.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 138
  • bittern-00120.jpg
    bittern-00120.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 131
  • bittern-00123.jpg
    bittern-00123.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 133
  • bittern-00127.jpg
    bittern-00127.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 148
Saw 2 flocks of waxwings in Darlington, about 25 in Salters Lane almost opposite Harrowgate Hill Club in the tall trees. Also a flock of about 40 flew over my house on Harrowgate Farm. Looked like they were searching for somewhere to feed.
Couple of waxwing pics from yesterday from Billingham.

Bugger. Missed them by less than a mile. Have been out 2 days looking in the hope................
A flock of 100 odd redwings + a flock of 30 yellowhammer rummaging about around Skerningham. Decided to turn back towards Barmpton rather than a circular via Green Lane. Looks like a bad decision then :-C.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back